Cofevelake and quad core 13" MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cookies!, Jun 12, 2017.

1. cookies!, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017

cookies! macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I heard rumors that Intel's 8th generation Coffeelake processors will be low-power and/or small enough to allow for a quad core processor in smaller form factors including 13" laptops. Is this true, and would Apple take advantage of that? It's the main reason I haven't gone with the 13" since my transcoding and processing performance is cut in half. But I'd love to have that lower price and better portability.

2. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

Depends upon if Quad and Dual use same socket/connection so that can use the same board.

Same board can be used then only reason to hold back will be cannibalise the 15" sales

Is supposedly the biggest factor for the 2014 mini not having Quad Core option was that would need a separate board whereas the 2012 could use the same board wether dual or quad fitted.

3. Appleaker macrumors 68000

These aren't rumors, there will be a quad-core 15W U-series processor. They were rumors almost a year ago.

We can only hope that Apple takes advantage of these, and if so it would be presumably in a high end variant.

4. cube macrumors G5

Covfefelake.

5. cookies! thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that's an embarrassing typo.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2017 ---
    And this is awesome! It would also greatly reduce the price of a powerful MBP...

6. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Yeah, I'm also hoping for possible low power discrete graphics. It may be needed if the quad-core processors don't ship with Iris graphics.
    It would mean the difference between the Touch Bar and base MBP would be greater and maybe they would even rebrand the base MBP because of the difference, or maybe it'll just end up being the name tag for a range of MacBooks.

7. leman macrumors 604

Its spelled "Covfefe" ;)

On topic: its not really a rumour, Intel has pretty much confirmed it themselves. Expect the quad core be clocked substantially lower than the higher-tier CPUs though.

8. cube macrumors G5

9. cookies! thread starter macrumors 6502

I could definitely benefit from Iris Plus graphics. For 2D photo editing and illustration, I'm pretty sure I don't need a discrete chip for increased performance in the Adobe programs I work with, so that would let me spend that cash on a much needed 1TB SSD :) Nothing like having your entire Lightroom library on your laptop's local storage!

10. HerbertDerb macrumors regular

HerbertDerb

It is most likely possible. However there might be couple of reason apple would not do it:

It will cannibalize 15" sales. One way to prevent that they might put option to get 6-core 15" which is problem because:

Top of the line imac 2016 won't come with 4-cores. They would have upgrade imac too

AND more imporantly:

Apple want's to keep everyhting as slim as possible. They would have to re-desing (most likely) the 15" heating element for 6-core.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't think it matters. They have been repositioning the 13" models into territory previously occupied by the 15" models. If they can sell a 13" for $1800-2000, then they still occupy the same price territory. They just sell a 13" instead of a 15".

12. HerbertDerb macrumors regular

HerbertDerb

Yeah... True.

Allready you can get "i7" with 512gb and 16gb ram 13". however it would not be far away in terms of pricing from the 15"

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Those options have been around for a while. It's just that the 15" went from a base model price of $1800 a few years ago to $2000-2400 more recently. The current $2k model remains basically unchanged since 2013. It might have received a ram boost. In this sense it looks like they're clearing that price territory for the 13" models, at which point I don't see why they would care if a few 15" ones are cannibalized in the process.

14. cookies! thread starter macrumors 6502

15. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I doubt they'd go 4c in the 13" unless there was a 6c or 8c option they could use in the 15".

16. muratura macrumors member

I'm not, srry if it came our wrong dude, I was just showing that 4c8t wishes in 13 are old, very old... and unfulfilled :'(

That said we have an actual chance of getting them next year. The roadmap is out and we also know their names from intel. The chips are gonna be limited to 28W TDP so only for the TB 13 inchers. To protect the market share of the 15" they'll make them more expensive than the base 15" model. Probably only available as a CTO purchase

Then again I'm rooting for team AMD, with their Threadripper and Vega. I'll buy both hardware and their stock to support them. Intel is a *****y company that stagnated the market on purpose. If AMD didn't light a fire under their asses CoffeeLake woulda came out in 2020!!

17. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I would prefer to have a discrete option, something like the Nvidia GeForce MX150 - That's a card that can be run at 15W and is designed for low power notebooks while also being significantly better than an iGPU (although comparisons have only been with the 620). Although it would likely be an AMD alternative, and I don't think they'll manage to be as powerful.
    It's not as unlikely as it was in the recent past, as Apple are working to improve graphics in Macs. So part of me is hoping it doesn't have Iris Plus graphics - although that could also mean that Apple just doesn't use it.

18. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

It will definitely be possible in their "Covfefelake" architecture.