Coffee between these two brands...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Mar 22, 2010.

?

Which Coffee?

1. Tim Hortons Coffee

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. Starbucks Coffee

23 vote(s)
    45.1%
  3. Other

20 vote(s)
    39.2%
  1. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

2. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I've never had Tim Hortons as we don't have them here, but Starbucks is crap.

When I was in Costa Rica I got used to drinking Doka Estate Peaberry, and it spoiled me. I have to import it now.

3. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Tim Hortons for the win! I used to drink them when I was in Canada. Heaven: walking into a Tim Hortons from the -40 cold and sipping on a steaming hot french vanilla cappuccino!

My favourite Starbucks coffee, the white chocolate mocha, costs double the Tim Hortons french vanilla, and isn't half as good.

4. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Seriously as a coffee lover and a Canuck...Tim Horton's coffee is absolute crap...it must have some addictive chemical...either that or the donuts are so good people keep coming in...Second Cup, Starbux and Countrystyle have better coffee north of the 49th.

Oh yeah I drink Peets at home that's the best...

Cheers.

-J.-

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I usually buy dunkin donuts coffee (a coffee shop here in the northeast US) but generally speaking, I have no real brand loyalty. To me coffee is coffee regardless of who makes it. Other then starbucks because their's taste burnt to me.

6. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I like coffee, not a sugary, milky mess. Starbucks black coffee tastes like dirt and twigs, I guess that's why they have so much sweet, creamy garbage added to it. Tim Hortons is loads better. Burger King coffee surprisingly beats them both. Dunkin Donuts coffee is absolutely delicious!

7. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Last time I drank a Tim Hortons coffee it tasted very very very watered down than I last remember, location to location quality of served coffee is a headache I can't deal with anymore...

Personally I'm a bit divided, Honey Dew makes a good French Vanilla coffee and their donuts are much better(soft/moist) than the brick-like donuts Dunkin sells... Dunkin Donuts has a better tasting hazelnut coffee.
    ...if it weren't such a long distance to visit both coffee shops, I'd buy donuts at Honey Dew and get coffee at Dunkin :p

With all that said, every morning I drink two cups of tea... I can't drink coffee in the morning.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Agree totally with the above starbucks tastes like crap. Very burnt taste and like it was made yesterday.

Over here in the uk the best coffee is a Costa. Can't beat it. Has a smooth rich taste that you can't beat. Add a chocolate twist and it's perfect.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

10. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Neither...

Caribou Coffee FTW!

Also I heard some shout outs for Peets. Nice too.

11. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I don't buy coffee from coffee shops. I don't like being raped. I buy from the grocery store and make it at home. 2 starbucks coffees can buy me over 50 cups of coffee at home.

12. jtara macrumors 65816

I assume we're talking about coffee house chains here. But I seldom step into one - I prefer making my own espresso at home and otherwise I prefer to go to a one-off shop than chain.

(I agree on the cost point above. I spent $800 on a machine and $600 on a grinder, and I am WAY ahead financially... Oh, check out coffeegeek.com if you are interested in buying a home machine. Lots of reviews and information.)

The best I have tasted is Intelligentsia (a Chicago roaster) Black Cat Espresso. They sold it at Whole Foods briefly, dunno why they dropped it. Probably couldn't get the quantity they needed.

Close second is Cafe Calibria's Calibria blend. They are a local (San Diego) roaster that also has a nice coffee house attached to their roasting business.

Best bet I think is to seek out a local roaster (think fresh) and then see if they have a coffee house or see who they sell to locally.

13. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

14. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Actually, McDonald's coffee is beginning to grow on me.

I don't buy Starbucks because I don't feel like paying ridiculous prices for coffee. Tim Horton's is ubiquitous in Canada, there's a location seemingly within 10 minutes drive of wherever you are (even in the country! :eek:) , and it's reasonably priced ($1+) so I end up drinking it a fair bit, but I don't think it's that great. I do like trying my luck in "Rrrrroll up the rrrrrim to win" though. ;)

15. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I tried Horton's and didn't care for it.. it was too thin. I like Starbucks if only for the strength and consistency of the product. I'm not against trying other coffee places, but I'm very, very picky about my coffee and it bugs me that if I order the same thing three times I get it three different ways. Starbucks is always the same: Strong, hot, full bodied and intermediate-to-real good.

16. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

What is a Tim Burton?????????:p I'm Serious, it's the first time I ever heard of that.

17. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

While I love CC, I have to admit that Tim Horton's (when I was visiting Canadaland) hit the coffee spot right on. :eek:

18. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Never heard of the Tim Whatever you call it so can't comment but here in UK Starbucks tastes like s***, now I am not a huge coffee drinker (more of a Tea guy :D) but I have preferred Costa Coffee to the crap Starbucks sells :)

I must admit I do like the smell of Starbucks, slightly nicer than Costa Coffee just shame about the actual coffee lol.

19. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Tim Burton is a filmmaker who specializes in dark and weird movies, often stop motion animated. You know, Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas. He also did the currently playing Alice in Wonderland. :D

Tim Horton was a Canadian hockey player, and the name of a coffee-and-donuts chain in Canada. They specialize in coffee, iced cappucinos, hot chocolate, donuts, donut holes ("Timbits"), muffins, croissants, sandwiches, and soup. There are a few locations in the US, but not many. In Canada, however, every town, even the tiniest ones, have at least one Tim Horton's. Tim Horton's has become as much of a Canadian icon as the maple leaf itself.

20. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I voted for Starbucks since I've never had Tim Horton's or Other. Whatever cartridge screams inside the workshop. I also like Dunkin' Donuts coffee.

21. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

TH is close to DD coffee, just double as good maybe. (Total guess about the amount of extra goodness). :eek:

22. afd macrumors 6502a

Used to like Lavazza now prefer illy. Wish I had a use for the empty tins though. They seem too good to throw away.

23. benheine macrumors newbie

Not a big fan of Starbucks and we don't have Tim Horton's in Florida, I like Dunkin Doughnuts.

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Try Koa Coffee. It's based off Hawaii's world recognized Kona Coffee.