coffee lovers, recommend a coffee machine

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, Jun 8, 2010.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

So Im pretty much a starbucks/french press drinker, but anymore Im really getting tired of the mess that goes with french presses.

Id like to get a new coffee maker that has a much easier cleanup, but still makes a flavorful cup of coffee.

Please no keurig kcup recomendations please. It is a cool concept, but Ive had it and Im really not all that impressed, plus I like to use freshly ground beans.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I would first like to express gratitude that this thread isn't about a certain new-ish phone, nor is it a plea/demand for immediate do-it-for-me help. So grateful. Thank you.

I will therefore share a recipe for the best coffee I have ever had. Note that the setting of this coffee experience is best enjoyed outdoors, preferably over an open fire:

This is known as "Bear Scat Coffee", from what the grounds look like at the bottom of the pot.

4. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

5. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Coffee make? There only is one kind, ask any Canadian.

Tim Hortons Coffee

6. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Tim Hortons is NOT good. :rolleyes:

All I drink is Van Houtte coffee. It's much better.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Im trying to figure out how hot water and coffee beans got so complicated.

8. itsjared macrumors regular

itsjared

My girlfriend loves her Cuisinart Grind-and-Brew 12-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker, Brushed Metal. She uses it as an alarm clock too. Preload the beans at night and it grinds them in the morning and brews the Joe. Also has a metal filter so you don't have to buy the paper crap.

Just set it and forget it! :D

9. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

haha....i usually end up with fresh and used coffee grounds all over...plus since i have a septic system i cant just toss the used grounds down the drain.

10. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

whatever coffee machine you end up with, read this first

http://www.podmerchant.com/coffee/complexity-of-coffee.pdf

i have a illy machine at work and a nespresso machine at home.

love them both but the convenience of the nespresso pods is unbeatable. and the coffee is surprisingly good.

11. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Sorry chief...Canuck here...i could name you at least 3 companies with better coffee in Canada...Tim's is horrid swill...

-J.-

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not a coffee drinker, are you now? :cool:

13. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

You can use the grounds for compost or something, or just trash it.

I used a Keurig when I was in Vermont and I wasn't too impressed. My mum has a Krups one which uses pods, but the pods are expensive and not great.

An actual espresso machine would make nice coffee - provided the squishy part puts the right stuff in and cleans it.

If you're in the US, this looks ok: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Krups+-...teel/9629601.p?id=1218136432976&skuId=9629601

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I drink coffee, but from my little coffeemate 15 dollar coffee maker. I guess ignorance is bliss. :p

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It is. I moved up to grinding my own coffee beans and putting them in a coffee maker. Now I own a coffee maker that grinds my beans for me. Before I lost my job I would put the beans in the grinder and then put water in the maker and then let it automatically make coffee for me in the morning when I got up.

Hell I had it down pretty well. I would come home from work, clean everything out and then let it dry until before I went to be at which point i would prepare it.

I can no longer stand the pre ground beans. I want my coffee fresh ground every day.

16. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I just love my coffee. Brewing and drinking it is the highlight of my morning...

Most coffee makers suck turds. They don't get the water hot enough (should be 205° or so) and they take too long to brew a pot (should take around 6 mins). If you want to brew good coffee, get a Technivorm Moccamaster (preferred, about $250, handmade in the Netherlands), or for less money a Krups Mocha Brew.

All the other Krups, Cusinarts, etc and their ilk use crappy aluminum heating elements & are giving you nothing useful but gadgety features that have zero to do with making a fine brew. You can spend your money on timers, and warming plates (ugh, gasp!), and built-in grinders, and so on, etc. or you can drink great coffee.

FYI: I also use a a Kitchen-Aide Pro line burr grinder.

17. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I could never switch to a coffee maker after using a French Press.

I have heard good things about the various Krups models.

18. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

A Bodum french press is the backup to my Saeco machine loaded with Peets French Roast beans :D

-J.-

19. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Turkish coffee......Mmmm.

All you need is some turkish coffee and some water and youre ready to go :D

20. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Turkish coffee by definition has water. It's not a type of coffee it's a style of preparation.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I love Tim Hortons, but it's because of the price and convenience of their coffee and doughnuts/muffins. ;)

The taste ranges from bad to horrible, and is not even as good as Starbucks, which charges only $0.40 - 0.50 more for a cup.

22. PsychOfMSE macrumors member

I love my aeropress and will never go back to a coffee machine. Ever.

23. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^What is it? Is that just a fancy type of plunger?

I think you should stick with the plunger. It's a cheap solution that's no more difficult than some of the other cheap-ish solutions out there. The other solutions use pods, but what I get out of a french press is better.