Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
Where on earth do y'all keep your condoms. They have been a mainstay of a gentleman's wallet for years down here, and I am unsure if there is an app to cover this.

KGB:D

Renzatic

Suspended
Where on earth do y'all keep your condoms. They have been a mainstay of a gentleman's wallet for years down here, and I am unsure if there is an app to cover this.

Oh, I'm sure there is. Somewhere out there on the digital information superhighway, there's probably an app that consists of nothing but pictures of Margaret Thatcher playing baseball wearing nothing but her socks. It works as a just in case measure for those occasions when you're about to get deep into the moment, but don't have a condom handy for accidental baby prevention. All you have to do is take your smartphone out of your pants, look at that for five seconds, and BAM...

...you're celibate for at least a week.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Sorry Mr. Shopkeeper, I can't pay for my meal as my phone battery is dead.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I checked with a local retailer about whether they'd accept the Coin. First comment was "Must be American"... due to the magnetic stripe. We've been chipped for a while now.

Then they said they'd probably not accept it since there is no way for the retailer to even do a cursory check for a fraudulent card. Ultimately it is the retailers who pay for fraudulent use since purchases made with a stolen card are charged back to them.

I doubt this will get approved by the card issuers in any case. Criminals won't have to go to the trouble of forging duplicate cards with stolen numbers, they can just load up a Coin with 8 stolen cards. Once a stolen card is de-authorized, the criminal doesn't need to make a new forged card ... they just need to add a new stolen card number to the Coin.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Interesting concept but I would have no use for it. Still old school and like cash. Only have one CC and it is for emergencies only. So skinny wallet. Cash is always kept separate from wallet.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Condoms in a wallet!! People actually do that??

Yes people do, but shouldn't

Worst Places to Store Your Condoms:
Do not store your condoms in your wallet unless you are bringing only one and plan to use it that night. Storing condoms in your wallet, then putting your wallet in your back pocket is a bad idea. Between the friction of your body movements, sitting down, and the body heat, this can lead to the condom wearing down. If you want to have the condom on hand and need to keep it in your wallet, make sure it is a new, fresh condom out of the pack that same day. Be sure to check the condom before use.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Whatever shortcomings/advantages Coin may have...here's a little financial information...

Supposedly the non-replaceable, non-rechargeable battery lasts 2 years. Let's assume that's reasonably accurate.

When the battery dies, you have to buy a new card. So if you buy the pre-order (and everything goes as the devs hope it does) for $50, the first 2 years usage costs $25/year. When the battery craps out, you then buy a new one for $100...costing you $50/year to use Coin.

Essentially, it's a subscription (or rental) system. You pay them $100 to use their device for roughly 2 years.

As much as I like the Coin card, and would like to pre-order one...I have to give careful consideration as to whether the convenience (again, assuming merchant acceptance, etc.) is worth $50 per year.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Whatever shortcomings/advantages Coin may have...here's a little financial information...

Supposedly the non-replaceable, non-rechargeable battery lasts 2 years. Let's assume that's reasonably accurate.

When the battery dies, you have to buy a new card. So if you buy the pre-order (and everything goes as the devs hope it does) for $50, the first 2 years usage costs $25/year. When the battery craps out, you then buy a new one for $100...costing you $50/year to use Coin.

Essentially, it's a subscription (or rental) system. You pay them $100 to use their device for roughly 2 years.

As much as I like the Coin card, and would like to pre-order one...I have to give careful consideration as to whether the convenience (again, assuming merchant acceptance, etc.) is worth $50 per year.

As far as I'm intrigued, it doesn't seem worth it for me. Perhaps if I had to juggle 5+ cards on a daily basis it might be worth it for the sake of convenience, but right now? Meh.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
I watched the video. Clever tech, but I'm not sure I'd let the waiter take it out of my sight. That's all my cards right there.

For that matter, even if I don't have a "coin", I'll never let any waiter take any plastic card out of my sight: Copying credit cards just became instant and easy. Anyone who has access to your card for a few seconds can now make a fully working copy.
That's actually pretty scary, never thought of it that way.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I personally pay for everything with cash and only have a joint checking, individual checking, and one credit card.

But anyway, what's to stop the waiter/waitress from accidentally pressing the button and switching the card to the wrong one as they're about to swipe it?

mroddjob

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
I watched the video. Clever tech, but I'm not sure I'd let the waiter take it out of my sight. That's all my cards right there.

For that matter, even if I don't have a "coin", I'll never let any waiter take any plastic card out of my sight: Copying credit cards just became instant and easy. Anyone who has access to your card for a few seconds can now make a fully working copy.

Thinking about it, how is this legal? Surely it's basically cloning a credit card. If it is legal i'm sure there must be something in most credit card terms and conditions that would prevent you from doing it.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

So how do you eat at restaurants?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
First thought was what if the person who takes the card to swipe (restaurants) accidentally changes the card by pressing the "button"? If there was some way to register my thumb print like with the iPhones then maybe that would be better.

Then I questioned what could happen if the battery dies. They cannot guarantee 2 years. They say normal use but what is that? I would rather there be a countdown timer of sorts. The app registers all swipes and says that on average the card can handle 2000 swipes and I'm at 1999 and about to leave on vacation. So there is that concern for me.

Finally, card issuers acceptance of this and fraud. I didn't notice a name on the card or any way to tell that it is mine. So asking me for ID (which apparently can be stored in the Coin) is pointless unless you have a way to cross reference my name.

There are a number of unknowns here and I realize this isn't out yet, but for $55, it would certainly be interesting.

I also carry two bank cards, a credit card, healthcare card, proof of insurance, and a picture in my wallet. I don't carry loyalty cards since I have used Keyring since as long as I can remember now.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
I think it's pretty cool. Worth $100? Maybe. People have paid much more for much less. Personally I have a credit card and debit card for each of 2 accounts (personal and joint with my girlfriend), plus a few other cards.

For everyone worried about people suddenly having access to all your cards, or not being able to verify that you are the actual owner: it's linked to your phone and automatically shuts off if it's away for too long, so unless whoever takes it also takes your phone, shop owners should be confident that as long as the card is functional you are the actual owner.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Cash normally. Or I swipe my own card (or watch them do it.)

If a waiter steals your credit card number and goes on a shopping spree, you're not responsible for any of the charges. If your wallet gets lost or stolen, you're not getting that cash back.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
If a waiter steals your credit card number and goes on a shopping spree, you're not responsible for any of the charges. If your wallet gets lost or stolen, you're not getting that cash back.

And that's one thing that makes the coin better than your actual CC that it will be locked at a certain distance from your phone via bluetooth, and you get alerted when it's too far from you. Not sure if you can set the distance or a time frame, but it's pretty cool.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
First thought was what if the person who takes the card to swipe (restaurants) accidentally changes the card by pressing the "button"? If there was some way to register my thumb print like with the iPhones then maybe that would be better.

Then I questioned what could happen if the battery dies. They cannot guarantee 2 years. They say normal use but what is that? I would rather there be a countdown timer of sorts. The app registers all swipes and says that on average the card can handle 2000 swipes and I'm at 1999 and about to leave on vacation. So there is that concern for me.

Finally, card issuers acceptance of this and fraud. I didn't notice a name on the card or any way to tell that it is mine. So asking me for ID (which apparently can be stored in the Coin) is pointless unless you have a way to cross reference my name.

There are a number of unknowns here and I realize this isn't out yet, but for $55, it would certainly be interesting.

I also carry two bank cards, a credit card, healthcare card, proof of insurance, and a picture in my wallet. I don't carry loyalty cards since I have used Keyring since as long as I can remember now.

That's $55 for (supposedly) 2 years. Then you have to buy a new card, at $100, and do so every 2 years.

See Post# 38...

It's basically a subscription deal...renewable every two years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.