Colcasac (applesac) sleeve?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GreenStripe, Jul 25, 2009.

1. GreenStripe macrumors member

does anyone have one or have experience with one? I need some way to bring my macbook pro with me everyday for college :\

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yes. There was a thread you should check it out. 50/50 you'll get here. Bottom line, don't get it for protection from dents and drops. The other thing is that some find that it sheds (depending on which bag you get). If you're looking for something to just carry/style, it works for just that.

3. yaddam205 macrumors member

I purchased one for my 13" MBP and love it. No complaints at all.

4. Jsimon9633 macrumors regular

I bought 2 for my macbooks and they are great

but yes they arent meant to protect from drops

mine do not shed at at all

i got the colcasac models

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I have a black one and its a nice sac (sleeve). I just use it to slip my MB in there and then slip that into a messenger bag. Its really easy to just slide your machine in and out.

6. GreenStripe thread starter macrumors member

I'm giong between the original, the colcasac and the damasc.. Is it just me, or does it look lik the damasc is a lot more protective?

7. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

screw apple sac i wouldnt risk it with all the shedding ive hurd of i got the speck tuck pack which is way better imo

8. kuwxman macrumors 6502

kuwxman

I used one with my 13" unibody MacBook (which I recently sold). Never had any problems with it in the 8 months I used it. I'm looking to buy another Macbook and I'll be using an applesac with it as well (either the 13" one I still own or buying one for the 15" depending on which MacBook Pro I decide on).

9. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I have the speck tuckpack and the colcasac. I would not recommend the tuckpack if you are putting it in another bag. However, it is amazing to use with the straps. Get the colcasac if you just need the scratch protection.

10. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

I have the black one. I really like it.

I think in terms of protection inside a backpack with textbooks, it might not be the best. And it does shed a bit, mine does anyways.

I bought the Zeroshock III afterwards and I like it much more. The Applesac is nice though.

11. freediro macrumors member

freediro

original colsac

i have the original, i was planning on getting the new black colsac, but the original looked a lot better and i've seen them around my college before, but never the original.

yes it does "shed" slightly but if you don't abuse it and handle it properly, as you should, you wont have any problem with it.

the plus side for applesac is that a good portion of the population will never know you have a laptop inside of it. Plus no of the sleeves for laptops protect much against falls or damage, but the applesac allows you to easily slide it into a backpack that can hold your laptop.

on a weird side note, i was once sitting in my car waiting for someone and didnt want to turn the heater on so i took my MBP out of the applesac and stuck my hands inside the the sleeves and they worked out great as hand warmers and its very soft!

9/10 for me

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There is a review here. Another thread, here. It's a sleeve, it's not made for dropping five feet.

13. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

14. GreenStripe thread starter macrumors member

has anyone gotten the timbuk2 Blockhead Laptop Sleeve? It seems perfect, and it's only $17 but the insides are corduroy, and I don't want to mess around with lint in the ports. I'm also looking at the radtech Spire Pouch, anyone use that?

15. Swiss Apple macrumors member

Swiss Apple

Well I just received my Colcasac by Applesac and I am very disapointed at the fit. You can pinch a good inch off the sides, and when you tuck the flap over, you need to carefully position the two velcro strips since the sleeve is simply too big.

The reason for all this, probably because its a generic one size fits all 13" Macbooks and if you have a 13" MBP then its not going to be a custom fit. I guess the only saving grace is that its so simply made that I could ask a tailor to make the adjustments (reposition the velcro and take it in an inch).

Other than that it should do the job of looking completely undercover :)

16. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

If you like the design of the colcasac (furry lined materal) you should look into the foofbags. I can vouch that they fit tightly on the unibody models and they also have a thicker, non shedding fleece interior. Might be what you're looking for.

17. Swiss Apple macrumors member

Swiss Apple

I did consider them but the lack of a flap worries me e.g. it could slip out and hit the deck :eek:

18. volcom883 macrumors regular

volcom883

i personally got the neocase from radtech sleeve for my 17" aluminium macbook.
    i very much like the idea of having a handle on. i simply wished it was a bit ticker..

19. puma1552 macrumors 601

I have both an AppleSac and three foofbags.

The AppleSac sucks. I never, ever used it (black colcasac). It sheds terribly, was full of crap inside the fleece on arrival, and has two nasty rough inseams where the burlap/canvas/whatever folds over. Poor fitment and the seams really were horrendous.

I bit the bullet and bought a foofbag to try. Perfect. Perfect fitment, zero shedding, and virtually undetectable inseams. They are a touch thinner than the AppleSac, but they would still be just fine to put in a backpack between a couple textbooks, you just have to of course be a little careful (with any sleeve).

foofbag>>>>applesac

20. andrew8404 macrumors regular

I love my Applesac! People just need to get tape and get all the fuzzies out so it doesn't shed! The foofbags would be nice but they have so uggo colors and designs.

21. Swiss Apple macrumors member

Swiss Apple

Initially I thought the Applesac was very cool in an understated way i.e I don't care about labels. However its now dawned on me that enrobing a $1200 laptop in a potato sack is the height of pretentiousness.

Oh the irony :rolleyes:

22. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

I wasn't aware that plain black, red, and green corduroy were "uggo" colors?

As far as slippage, if you were to hold an applesac upside down, the velcro wouldn't hold and the laptop would hit the deck anyway-- that being said, the foofbags fit tight enough that I've never had my laptop slip out of the one I've been using for 3 years now.

23. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Sick of all this Applesac flaming. :rolleyes: The fleece doesn't shed and the fit is well snug. Oh yes and it's also the coolest sleeve on the market but what would half of you people know about cool.

24. puma1552 macrumors 601

i know its cool but actually sucks because i own one, and have a tucano second sleeve and foofbags to compare it to and it comes in dead last in every category you could think of