Cold feet about upgrading from 2G to 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cinecals, Dec 30, 2009.

  1. cinecals macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    #1
    So I got a $200 Apple gift card for Christmas that's just burning a hole right through my pocket and my original plan was to use it to buy the 3GS. I still love my original IPhone but I had been planning on updating since the 3GS came out but was short on funds. Now it's mid-cycle and I'm just imagining how bummed I'll be when they unveil the new IPhone in June and it is a markedly better upgrade then the 3GS was (is). Also I'll be using the AT&T subsidy if I buy now, so I'll have to wait 2 years for my next upgrade (I'm not a big tech flipper on Ebay).

    Also I know there's an Apple event in a month to likely unveil the new tablet and maybe there will be an price reduction/capacity bump for the Iphone thrown in as well. My 2G still works (albeit there's a small crack in the bottom of the screen) and I could probably go 6 more months with it no problem but that's six more months with a slower processor and much slower data speeds. If I had the 3G I would almost assuredly wait since it's mid-cycle but having the original Iphone makes this a harder question.

    I'm really torn and maybe I would be better off just waiting, but the longer I wait, the more I become a sucker for buying an end-of-cycle product if I eventually decide to get the 3GS. And let's face it, there is a psychological aspect when buying technology where a person needs to be assured that what they're buying is the newest and best (for a couple of months at least). I'm not even someone who is that caught up in needing the newest and best because I feel like it's a battle that you can't win and there's better ways to spend money, so I'm really more concerned with making a prudent/intelligent decision. And the problem is compounded because technically I won't be spending any "real" money, but still that $200 is almost real money because being a IPhone and Mac user, I will obviously be spending money at an Apple store at some point in the not too distant future.

    So should I pull the trigger or wait?

    (And yes, I know this question get's asked a million times a day and I've read many of the other threads on the subject)
     
  2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

    eawmp1

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    FL
    #2

    So why ask again. The answer is the same...if you NEED a new phone now, BUY a new phone now. Any piece of technology will soon be replaced with a newer product. If you buy now and they come out with something better...so what. You have a great phone in the 3GS. You don't need advice, you need counselling. Make the best decision you can with the information you have and sleep well.
     
  3. cinecals thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    #3
    I'm impressed that you were able to diagnose me after only reading a paragraph or two. Everything you said is more or less true (including the counseling part - I see a therapist and I'm a psych major currently) but I'm asking you to go out on a limb and say what YOU would do if YOU were ME. If you can't do that then why even bother posting just to chastise me for what you consider a to be a pointless question.

    Trust me I'm not losing sleep over whether or not to buy a piece of fancy electronics... and I realize the relative insignificance of this decision which is why I figured I'd throw it out there and see what comes back.
     
  4. ngenerator macrumors 68000

    ngenerator

    Joined:
    May 12, 2009
    Location:
    USG Ishimura
    #4
    My vote goes to holding out for either the iTablet or the 4thGen iPhone. Good luck!
     
  5. cinecals thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    #5
    Thanks ngenerator for that reply. I feel like that's the right decision but waiting is going to be really hard and since it won't cost me any money it's killing me not to buy something immediately.
     
  6. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

    staccato83

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    Location:
    Las Vegas
    #6
    My vote is to buy the 3GS now and enjoy it for the next 6 months until the new iPhone comes out. I know you said that you weren't a big "tech flipper" on eBay, but you can easily sell your 3GS with no problem. Just keep all accessories and the box in good condition and you will be all set. Trust me, I have done this with the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G and so have many others on this forum.
     
  7. cinecals thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    #7
    Thanks staccato83 for your advice. That makes sense but I guess I'm kind of old school and I feel like doing that requires a certain savvy that I'm not sure I possess (in this instance at least). I'm one of those people who buy a piece of electronics and use it for a couple of years until it breaks or becomes outdated and then I get something new. It would be nice to always have the latest update but I'm not sure I want to spend a lot of time and energy to do so.
     
  8. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2009
    #8
    Caution

    Well in my opinion you've gotta ask your self a few questions. :confused:

    Do you like to jailbreak? It is the deal breaker for me right now with cydia and unlocking. I couldn't see myself going to the iphone if jailbreaking is permanently closed off.

    Are you staying with ATT or unlocking to go to T-Mobile? I have a 3GS and am happy about it but I despise my coverage here in Texas and looking to just get off of ATT. The phone does what I need it too but if I can't get better than edge then I might as well go to t-mobile unlocked with a much cheaper plan. You may not get that option on the next iphone if all the security holes are filled.

    What needs do you need out of a phone? If the 3GS does everything and more then I say go for it as waiting for the ultimate phone that will never need upgrading is like chasing a unicorn. you will always look for newer features and there will always be a phone that does something better then the one you own.

    Does your current phone do what you need it to do. Are you needing to make calls or play around with it. The 3GS does let quite a few apps perform better or just flat out perform like the navigation programs. If you are thinking that the 3GS can fix your woes then go for it.

    The new iPhone will be out in about 6 months and this time I don't think they can play around and do minimal upgrading this time around. The screen is looking long in the tooth, google is really looking to put up a strong fight with the nexus due I believe within a month, and other phones companies are listening and learning to do what the iphone does but better.

    I would just say wait and see as the price will end up dropping anyway and you have made it this long. Just wait and see what comes out between now and June. :confused: :confused:
     
  9. cinecals thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    #9

    Thanks for your post Mademan... that about sums up what is making this decision so hard. I haven't jailbroken my IPhone yet, although my friends keep offering to do it for me. I hate AT&T (big surprise) and I've given some thought to unlocking it and trying T-Mobile but I don't think that's going to happen, so for arguments sake let's just say I'm going to stay with AT&T.

    My original IPhone performs fine but Edge is slow as @#$% and reception sucks. Also I've started having problems with the speaker (both the earpiece and the bottom speaker) so I'm wondering if it might be worth upgrading just for the six months of better call quality.
    I know the 3GS is going to be better but exactly how much better. My thoughts about what Apple needs to bring to the table in the 4G are the same as yours. Lots more competition now so I have a feeling that they won't hold anything back for the next one. I agree with your thoughts on the screen and that get's me back to my feeling that despite some under the hood and cosmetic adjustments, it's really still the same phone as the one that they released at the original launch. This might be overstating it a little bit but every time I look at or play with someones 3G or 3GS I don't feel like my measly 2G is really that inferior.

    I dunno, maybe once I own the 3GS I'll realize everything I've been missing. Anyone else with a 2G feel the same way?
     
  10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

    eawmp1

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    FL
    #10
    My contract with AT&T was up in January 2008. I had a RAZR - it worked well as a phone, but nothing else. Could've bought a 3G, but knew the refresh cycles on the iPhone and bought it June 19 (release day).

    You have a perfectly good phone. Tuck that $200 away and in June buy the next iPhone model, hold onto it until you run it into the ground, then buy the next one in 2012.
     
  11. courtney.bella macrumors member

    courtney.bella

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2009
    Location:
    texas
    #11

    My .02 cents is this: if you think your 2G will last until Apple at least says yes or no to a new iPhone and gives a release date, do it. If you think your phone's gonna crap out and you won't have a back-up, go ahead and update to the 3GS. I've heard it's an amazing phone, and it's not like you're gonna regret it--it's still an iPhone, after all.
     
  12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

    Knowlege Bomb

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2008
    Location:
    Madison, WI
    #12
    I'd at least wait until the January event to see what surprises they have in store. It is, after all, focusing on the mobile market.

    If that comes and goes with no changes I'd go ahead and get the 3GS. It's a spectacular phone.
     
  13. cinecals thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    #13
    Eawmp1 that's some good advice. That's what I'm leaning towards but the pull of instant gratification is a bitch if you know what I mean, especially when you have a gift card. I feel bad because the gift card was from my parents to get a new IPhone and because of that I feel like I should get it now since the gift card basically served as a placeholder for a new IPhone.

    If my Iphone fails in the next few months then my decision is made for me I guess and I could at least wait a month and see what happens in January. If this is the route I go I'm going to have to put away that gift card or stay out of the Apple store because it will be tempting.
     
  14. nickpro macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #14
    yesterday i bought a 16GB 3GS at full non-contract cost ($600) in order to preserve my upgrade in June when the 4th Gen comes out. my 3G is in great shape and I figure I can get over $300 for it easily on ebay. i look at the $300 difference as a X-Mas present to myself and overall worth it as the sluggishness of my 3G is starting to get to me when I think about it in comparison to the 3GS (which i handle from time to time when i see my family/friends with it). just some food for thought, good luck.
     
  15. cinecals thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    #15
    Thanks for all the good advice guys (and girls). Someone basically said I can't go wrong either way and I think that is the best way to look at it. I was planning on going to the mall tomorrow to return a couple things and maybe I'll sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning. But either way I'll get a great phone that comes at no cost to me because of a generous gift so it's a win/win. I'll be sure and post if I take the plunge tomorrow and if not I'll rock my OG IPhone (2G that is) loud and proud until the day that I get a new one (or it breaks *knock wood*).
     
  16. cinecals thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    #16

    Nick - I like that line and I think I may have used something similar to justify a purchase. I'm not knocking your reasoning at all it's just amazing the lengths we go to rationalize buying stuff we want but don't necessarily need. I know I do it all the time but I'm trying to break the habit which is probably why I still have my 2G to begin with.
     
  17. hushmartin macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Location:
    Kansas
  18. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

    ToroidalZeus

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2009
    #18
    If you have to ask the answer is NO.

    If you dont have an iphone/your contract just expired with some other carrier then hell ya get the 3gs. But you already have an iphone. Plus you are debating if you want the 3gs. See if you were like omg my iphone is soo slow, i need that extra speed and more ram then i would say go ahead or if you said wow i really miss taking videos with my friends then again i would say go ahead. But since it doesnt seem like you really care i would say if you bought the 3gs you would feel like you wasted your money.
     
  19. davyreins macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    Location:
    Ann Arbor
    #19
    I would wait, as long as you have the patience. If your phone is still working fine I would hold off until the new one because it is midcycle.
     
  20. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

    erratikmind

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    S.F./Las Vegas
    #20
    To the OP . . . My 2G iPhone is working quite well. The 2 previous iPhone offerings did not peak my interest. Depending on what the 4th gen iPhone has to afford, I am definitely interested in upgrading. If your current phone works without any major issues, I would seriously consider waiting to discover the new option. At that time, you will probably be able to purchase a 3Gs for much less, if so desired.
     
  21. Applepi macrumors 6502a

    Applepi

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2007
    #21
    In my opinion OP, I would wait until the next couple months when Steve unveils the new iPhone and what it has to offer. I know it's hard to hold off, but I think it will be worth it.
     
  22. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

    Leet Apple

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2009
    Location:
    Canada
    #22
    Wait to See how the Next IPhone turns out, and if its really killing you buy the 3Gs and if its worth it when it comes out sell your old iphone and the 3Gs and i think you should have enough.
     
  23. cinecals thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    #23
    Man what a great forum, I need to post here more often. I really appreciate all the thoughtful advice and it has definitely helped me see both sides of the buy/wait argument more clearly. I think Ryeno basically summed up my ambivalence which basically means I shouldn't buy. I mean why spend that kind of money (even if it is a gift certificate) on something unless you absolutely have to own it. I know how awesome the 3GS is but my old 2G is fine for the time being. The problem will be if they release the tablet (islate or whatever the rumor is) and it is so sick and starts at $500 and suddenly getting the new Iphone goes out the window. Can't have everything I guess...
     
  24. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

    pukifloyd

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2008
    Location:
    Scottsdale
    #24
    I would advice the same - wait

    Or if you think the (rumored) tablet would be worth it then use the gift card for it!
     
  25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #25
    Buy the 3GS now, and when the new one comes out you'll be able to sell it for what the next one would cost you.
     

Share This Page