Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrcarl79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
The details are below, I will obviously check the spec matches up and also inspect the screen and look for dead pixels and damage to that...

But is there anything else I should look out for??

Is there any diagnostics I can download and run?? or can you run anything off the install disk to do a diagnostic test??

Ideally just want a few things I can do within 10 minutes to check its not a duff iMac!!

It sounds good, and has apple care but I'd still rather be careful before handing over my cash :)

Then I'm looking forward to dropping some extra RAM and a SSD in it to make it fly!!

Thanks in advanced!!

Details
---------
Mid 2011
27" (2560x1440res) iMac
i5 3.1GHz QuadCore

4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Ram

AMD Radeon HD6970m 2GB Graphics Card

Comes With
---------------
Wireless Keyboard + Mouse

All original packaging, books and install disks (Snow Leopard)

AppleCare coverage until 02 June 2014

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Go there with a OSX install CD, start the iMac with the install disk inserted and select the HARDWARE test.

There is a short and long test. These should provide some useful input on the HW.

If you already have another iMac do a practice test at home to avoid fidgeting in front of your seller on his iMac.

mrcarl79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
Go there with a OSX install CD, start the iMac with the install disk inserted and select the HARDWARE test.

There is a short and long test. These should provide some useful input on the HW.

If you already have another iMac do a practice test at home to avoid fidgeting in front of your seller on his iMac.

Thanks, I should manage. I don't have an iMac, just a MacBook Air and I checked the recovery boot on this and it doesn't have such a thing. But the guy selling the iMac says he has the Snow Leopard install disk, so I should manage with that.

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
You could also check to see if there's any evidence of it being opened, such as smudges/fingerprints on the inside of the glass. But, if it still has the original 4GB of RAM and is still running Snow Leopard, it's unlikely it's been touched internally. Other than that... as suggested, running Apple Hardware Test off the DVD should show if everything is OK.

One note, though. That graphics card is the one that Apple will replace no charge if it shows certain screen distortions, artifacts, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.