Collection Calls in Error

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I may have posted about this before, but I am about to scream...

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Got that out of my system. I've been getting several calls a week regarding collection payments for someone with my first and last name, obviously not me, located in various parts of the country, one in particular in California. I got two calls from different agencies in the last 24 hours.

They give me the last 4 digits of the person, and no it's not me. Their middle initial is not mine and they have a different address.

What is interesting is that I verbally tell them no that is not me and they say ok and take my phone call off their call list. It's interesting because they take my verbal word that I'm not lying about it. Does anyone think that is a little wierd? I mean I'm happy they take my word but from their standpoint, can they really nail down a delinquint payer and how do they keep getting my phone number?? And if they have my phone number, shouldn't they also have my address too?

More important, is there anything can I do to get collection agencies and banks to stop calling me??

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Not to be facetious, but all you have to do is tell them to stop calling you. Tell them you're going to write a followup letter. They can be heavily fined if they then call you after that. Make sure to remind them of that fact. Even if you never send the letter, you'll probably be taken off their list just because of the threat.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Just tell them to stop and that they have the wrong number/person. Now were you to take these calls and simply say they have the wrong number and hang up, they would continue to call probably bcuz they think you're lying. But since you've gone through the hoops with them and verified that they have the wrong person and wrong address, once you tell them to cease contacting you about this, if they don't they can be heavily fined for continuing to harass the wrong person provided you file a complaint against them.

I had this similar issue pop up and, by the 2nd week or so, I was less than cordial in telling what they can do to themselves if they continue to call me. Once I clearly stated that they had the wrong number and the wrong person AND to stop freakin calling me; the calls stopped. Since the number is in some database, you could receive calls from other collectors down the road and you'd have to go through the same hoops again but, eventually, the calls should stop once you've clearly stated you're not the droid they're looking for; move along.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ all that. Where is the company located? File a complaint with the FTC and a state agency.

If they're in CA file a complaint with the Department of Corporations.

5. -aggie-, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

-aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Actually, they can't call you even if you do owe the debt, if you do what I stated above.

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Here's the key which I probably did not make clear. These are all calls from a variety of different companies all apparent looking for the same person, who have all promised not to call me back. But new companies are popping up on a regular basis, lol. :eek:

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I understood that. It sucks you have to make all this effort, but that's what you're going to have to do.

I'm glad my last name isn't Smith or Jones.:)

8. kaielement macrumors 65816

Had to get a land line for my apartment (something to do with the gate) and I guess the person who had the phone number befor me had owed tons of people lots of money and we used to get phone calls for her all the time and they never used to believe that she didn't live there and thought I was lying as one caller stated got to a point where I wouldn't answere the phone. And after living there over six months the front office never put my number into there system so it never mattered about the gate so I eventually canceled my phone so yes I feel your pain.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

and you think they're really actually different companies? :p