College Application Time!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fivetoadsloth, Aug 12, 2009.

1. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Hey,
    All High School seniors to be, what colleges will you be applying to in the fall?

If any current college students want to share where they are going, that would be nice as well.

I'll start. As of now I'll be applying to:
    Johns Hopkins
    MIT
    Brown
    Harvard (Questionable)
    Princeton
    Carnegie Melon
    University of Chicago
    Northwestern
    and my state school.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I will be a freshman at Wake. I didn't attempt to kill myself last year and only applied to five schools, of course my desires for a school basically meant I wanted to be at Wake, have fun and good luck. Apply E/D anywhere.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Are you applying to those schools for a reason or because they're big name schools? You need to ensure you have a fallback school outside of the Ivy league, which I see you do, but I am just saying. Just because you wore Harvard Red or Yale blue growing up doesn't grant you admission to these schools as a high school grad!

Good luck! I'm happy to say I'm done with that stuff.

4. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Thanks!
    I'm one of the quirky people who like school too much, and as cliché as it sounds I would like to get the best education that I can. I think the schools have something to offer, and I hope I will get the opportunity to experience it.
    :)

5. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I'm at Baylor. It's the only school i applied to...

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Any college you go to has the ability for you to learn, because chances are the professors are a tad bit smarter then you are. Coming from a family with Harvard grads, it is harder to get in then it is to be at Harvard.

Also, if you are going into law/business/medicine, your undergrad is worth little in the professional world as to your grad school.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If your parents kick in some donations it might help though.

8. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Wish I could have afforded to go to a school like those. I went to a community college for 2 years and then transferred to OSU. All I can say is make sure you visit the schools of your choice and don't be bummed out if you don't get accepted, because you can always transfer later on.

9. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

Going to be a sophomore attending the Colorado School of Mines.

Back in my senior year, I also applied for CalTech, UC at Berkeley, and Stanford University.

Some things you should consider when applying is what career are you hoping to get into? If that doesn't work out, what else does that university offer (though you can probably just transfer credit to another institution)? What's campus life like?--ie. social atmosphere, student organizations, sports, etc.

Mines was actually my fallback as they sent me one of their "Golden Scholars" applications which, from what my siblings (who also attended Mines) told me, was pretty much a guarantee that I was to get in if I applied. Suffice to say, I ended up being rejected by the three California schools and stayed in state, saving me some money on tuition!

10. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Not if the reason you're wearing those colors is because mom and/or dad went there. Legacy admissions - that bottom 25% of admissions has to come from somewhere, or so the joke goes. :)

I think all of the schools TS is applying to are need blind and meet 100% of financial need.

fivetoadsloth, what's the reason you're applying to these particular schools? Harvard, Princeton and Brown are very, very different schools from MIT, Johns Hopkins and CMU. Which in turn, are very different from UChicago and Northwestern.

11. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

I'm actually not 100% sure what I want to do, right now Neuroscience would be my number one choice, or BME. Johns Hopkins has a great Neuroscience and BME program, whereas MIT has a great Neuroscience Program. I know I want to study some aspect of Medicine/Biology, so I tended to select science schools, Harvard has a really nice Biology program, my friend is there. I realize Brown is different, with its very open course selection, but it has some aspects that really interest me, so I might as well give it a shot, better to be rejected but have tried then never to have tried. University of Chicago and Northwestern are close to home (I am from Illinois) and my parents would be happy if I attended one of them. So far, as I continue to take more science and math courses everyone interests me quite a bit, but so far Biology is by far my favorite, and best subject.

On a side note, I am getting the hunch based on the responses my initial post came off the wrong way. I was not trying to be arrogant, etc, and I was merely curios where other Macrumors users were going/planning on going to College.

12. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

after i graduate from HS in 2011, i plan on going to UW madison. they have a good computer science program. My other choice is university of Illinois. they also have a good CS program.

13. Nadav macrumors regular

Isn't it a little bit early to start your applications? Also, if you do end up applying to all of those colleges, that will be pretty expensive. My sister went through the process this year, and colleges were charging 60+ just to apply. Are you applying early, or regular?

14. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Okay, just curious, because some of those schools could not be more different, other than them being elite, high prestige schools. I can't think of two schools more different than U of Chicago and Brown, for instance.

Anyway, BME and Neuroscience are serious, no joke majors at either Hopkins and MIT. It's more or less impossible to switch into BME at either school without tacking on another year and when I was at Hopkins, Neuroscience was the one department that didn't allow students to double major. On the bright side, you'll have every premed requirement knocked out by the end of your sophomore year if you suddenly decide you'd rather study Art History instead. :)

How many of these schools have you visited?

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you are applying to that many schools or that caliber of school, absolutely not.

16. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

There are a couple of Mines students/grads around MR; I graduated in '98 and '99. Good choice!

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'll be a senior at Union College in September. Forbes just put us #26 in the country! :D I applied to Amherst, Bowdoin, Bates, Trinity, Kenyon, Washington & Jefferson, St. Andrews (Scotland), Union, UConn and Hamilton.

[​IMG]

18. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Thanks Signal-11,
    I plan on applying early decision at Hopkins. I visited Harvard, MIT (they are close enough together...) and Hopkins. Getting into the BME program at Hopkins is already pretty intense, so I am pretty sure I'll go with Neuro. Of course I am hoping my number applications will be cut down a bit when Early Decision results come in, and in the mean time Brown, Carnegie, and another may be cut.

19. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I'm not sure that's the greatest application strategy.

Remember, the school accepts you, not the department. OTOH, if you apply with an intended major declared, you'll be compared to the rest of the people applying BME or NS and those are extremely competitive. The smart play is to apply undeclared and once you're accepted, sign up for the department. For Hopkins anyway. For MIT, it doesn't really matter.

Also a lot of people will tell you that you have plenty of time to decide. That's generally true, but these two majors are the exceptions. You really need to hit the ground running right out of the gates.

Anyway, it's up to you.

20. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I was a bad HS student, so I only applied to one of my state universities since I was guaranteed admission (SAT score surpassed their minimum requirement). I plan on applying to better universities for my graduate studies though.

21. seven7seven macrumors regular

22. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

My personal advice is don't even apply to a school you haven't visited/definitely plan on visiting.

There were several schools that I was practically in love with - especially some of their programs - but when I visited them, they were immediately crossed of my application list. I actually eliminated many of the Ivies that way. The only one I ended up really liking was Princeton for some reason.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Are you paying for college? I mean those schools will rape you tuition wise and so not worth it

Seriously, my advice is to get your undergrad at your state school and then do you grad work at a big name school

why pay more for undergrad when you dont need to? it rarely is worth it imo and I would ONLY considier it for grad options

my 2 cents

haha, hows that male/female ratio working out for you? lol

I went to CSU and did meche and had the best time of my life there

Any school in CO is where it's at as far as I am concerned!

yay for another CO person!

24. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Not applying to college per se, but masters in accounting programs. I'm applying at the following schools (not necessarily in order of preference):

London School of Economics
    University of Texas - Austin
    USC
    Boston College
    William and Mary
    University of Virginia
    University of Georgia
    Ohio State University
    University of Notre Dame
    Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

I've got my GMAT coming up and have been working on essays and resume. I'm looking to eliminate maybe two schools since apps are pretty expensive, but I've been having trouble.

25. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

Well, the ratio is the best it's been ever. 3:1 now a days. Though it doesn't bother me as I go up north often enough ;)