College backpack for 2017 13" MBP

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
My kid is heading to college in a few weeks, and I was looking for recommendations for a good backpack with good laptop protection and the usual load of books, notebooks, pens, etc. He's a big kid, 6'1".

I've was looking at the Ogio Renegade RSS, but I've heard the straps are short and could be an issue with his size. I tried looking through that 177 page monster thread, but it's mostly cases.

Thanks for any advice!

tanuki-chin

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2016
I would choose Herschel Little America, it’s not too afordable, but durable as heck.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I've been using this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DKLOOLG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with my 15". Quite honestly anything will do for the 13" as it's so small, why not get one from Amazon and if it doesn't work out then send it back? Or take him to a dedicated PC place and try some out?

The only thing I looked for btw was something that was lockable and had decent water proofing. However I'd always recommend you to keep a protector in the bag too, like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MZ939T3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as no bag is actually fully waterproof, more splash proof. And a soggy laptop does not a happy student make!

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
PVB, Florida
I'll look up the one I have. Perfect pocket for laptop/iPad and great easy access front pockets. Take it everywhere..work..travel.. everything. It's been awesome. Can even stuff a small DSLR case down in middle compartment.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Last edited:

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
Look for a backpack thats made out of Cordura material and uses YKK zippers. After that, it's about style and color.

I personally use Hazard 4 backpack.

JesterAZ

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2017
I had an Oakley that has lasted me well over 10 years. Back at uni now, and went Ogio and have been thrilled with it.

Reactions: lax28

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Right now I'm using a Timbuk2 Messenger + Thule Gauntlet. The Messenger must be 10 years old - and even the high-vis neon stripe on it (for night time visibility of passing cars) looks new. Whatever grade nylon/Cordura they use must be reasonably good stuff. I would buy one again except it's still in new condition and it still works.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
I had an Oakley that has lasted me well over 10 years. Back at uni now, and went Ogio and have been thrilled with it.
I had one too that had nice pockets on the sides. I think I paid $40 for it, but I don't see it on their site anymore.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
North Face has lasted a long time. The biggest feature you should search for is waterproof. Always a chance of getting caught in the rain around campus.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I have an Oogio Tribune. I got it for around $50 on Amazon. It is a good bag. Nice, sturdy straps. A great laptop pocket and a smaller pocket for an iPad. There is a large central area perfect for books. I've gone on an overnight with just this bag.

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
How bout something to pack a smaller notebook like a 13" MBP, maybe an iPad, book or two, some pencils, a paper notebook, a little waterproof bag for cocaine, etc.

Reactions: xb2003 and ZapNZs

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
How bout something to pack a smaller notebook like a 13" MBP, maybe an iPad, book or two, some pencils, a paper notebook, a little waterproof bag for cocaine, etc.
I have a Tom Bihn Ristretto for the times I don't need the big bag.

It's a satchel, not a backpack. But I like it.

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
Well done. You about made me spit water all over my MacBook.

I searched for a while for a compact backpack, and never found one I liked. I owned a Surge for a few days, and a Cocoon for a while (had 2 of them break on me). I actually loved that backpack, but the quality just isn't there. I take my backpack with me everywhere, and it gets a bit abused. So I ended up buying a Carhartt backpack. It's not as small as I'd like... but it's tough.

Reactions: Jodiuh

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Goruck makes several sizes of packs and their bombproof. Really high grade stuff.

Same for Tom Bihn, which has been mentioned a couple of times already.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
We looked around, and ended up going to Best Buy to look at them (had a gift certificate). He didn't like some of the more modern designs, and a number of these look very small on him. We ended up with the Ogio Renegade RSS, which is more traditional, but the laptop pocket is pretty solid compared to everything else we looked at. It also had a built in hard case for his glasses, which he loved. I have to say, that it would probably be a tight fit for a 15" MBP, as the 13" was tight with the sleeve on it.

Thanks for all your suggestions, hopefully it will help some others out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.