College Bundle

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jhanson09, May 18, 2009.

1. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

About to buy a Macbook. I think im gonna end up getting the upgraded 2.4 GHZ MacBook. My question tho is whether I should buy the computer through the university Of Missouri's bundle deal or should i just buy it at the apple store using the education discount

university's bundle is $1700, you get:
    -Macbook 2.4 GHZ 2GB RAM
    -Apple Care
    -Office 08
    -any inCase laptop case
    -laptop lock
    -Ethernet cable and Surge protector

or just go buy just the Macbook from the apple store w/ the education discount for $1500.

Also anyone know if they are planning on bringing back the buy a mac get a free ipod promotion? if so, when?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The iPod promo comes around June I thought. The $1700 deal is quite a deal I believe and for that, I would go with that if you're having to buy now. If you can wait get the EDU discount + free iPod (or whatever it is) in June.

3. Jhanson09 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I'm definitely going to wait till june either way i go, cuz i still want to wait till June 8th just to make sure there isn't any new ones or snow leopard coming out quickly.

4. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

That bundle sounds halfway decent. How long is the Apple Care for? Just the basic 1 year warrenty that comes with any purchase or is it the extended (3 year one)?

If it's the latter I would suggest the bundle and purchase an iPod on sale somewhere else. That solution would be slightly cheaper than purchasing from Apple and getting the discount on the iPod.

5. intelplatoon macrumors member

if i were you, i would get the bundle. applecare alone is something like 250 dollars. which obviously brings it up 50 dollars from the bundle price, without the extra goodies:mad:

6. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

don't forget that ebay is also an option for cheap applecare

unless you don't have an ebay account lol

7. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

The deal is darn good. I'm going to SFSU for the fall semester, and can you tell me where do you get these bundles from? The library?

But I would sure take this one...especially if you already own an iPod...

8. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Wow, that bundle looks pretty nice if that is indeed the 3 year AppleCare plan. I wish they my University was big enough to have a computer store and such. No such luck here though. haha. Damn. ><

Go for it if that is full AppleCare. The In Case cover and Office 08 are pretty nice to have in there too.

Have a great semester and happy new Macbook. haha.

9. Jhanson09 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Yes 3 year AppleCare. And it's done through TigerTech mizzou's IT department

10. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

In that case I would probably go for the Mizzou package, but you have a full year to extend your apple care, and you would be getting a free ipod touch.

11. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Id take that deal from the college. It seems really good. On the other hand, if you can wait, and really want/need an ipod than wait till the apple promo comes on.

12. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I concur with the others' opinions - get the deal from the university. Considering that Apple Care (Educational price) for the MB is 183, Office 08 is around 150, incase sleeve around 35, and the laptop lock/surge protector/RJ 45 cables another 35, you are getting a great deal at 1700. I know you mentioned that the Apple Care can be done through your uni's IT department, but you may want to check to see if its a legit Apple Care (i.e. can you also get it work done at an Apple Store after your 1 year standard warranty). If the university is just selling you a service plan for use only at the university, then that may limit your options if you need repairs/assistance while you are away (i.e. at home or elsewhere during your summer breaks, etc.)

13. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

it makes me scratch my head why anyone would advise to wait for that free "ipod" when that university deal is far superior. :confused:

14. Jhanson09 thread starter macrumors regular

Called up the university and they said it is legit Apple Care you can get it serviced at the university or at any apple store. although talking to the guy he said he wasn't sure but he said if apple brings back the free ipod deal i might still be able to get the ipod w/ it also in the bundle. They did tell me there is a 50.00 conivence charge or some bull **** like that. but still i think 1750 is a pretty good deal for all of that.

15. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Hey man, nice to see another Tiger :)

I'm going to be a junior this fall at Mizzou, majoring in journalism. How about yourself?

Anyway, I can tell you that they have always had those bundles *WITH* the iPod deal when it comes around. You're already saving money; but you may as well wait, cause you can get a free iPod, too, in a couple weeks.

Also, I don't know what your situation is, but just a story so you know: I went to the university a couple years ago with the Macbook in my sig, since I already had purchased it the year before. I didn't feel like it was worth upgrading yet. It has treated me well, since. So, don't think you *have* to get the Macbook they recommend. I'm fairly certain a 2.0MB would treat you just fine. Also, whenever they get new computers, they tend to clearance their old stock. I bought the iMac in my sig last year on clearance for almost a thousand dollars less than what it sold for just a few months earlier. :cool:

16. Jhanson09 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Business major. Yes I'm definitely waiting till atleast June 8th. I just want the 2.4 for the backlight keyboard honestly.