College next year...Macbook Pro or PC laptop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobfitz14, Jan 29, 2010.

?

If i go to a college that requires i get a laptop through them i should:

1. Buy their laptop and be done with it.

16 vote(s)
    51.6%
  2. Buy their laptop, and get a MBP on the side because it is worth it.

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  1. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

so i'll be a freshman in college in the fall, and i have a little dilemma. most of my schools want me to buy a Windows laptop through the school, they already have them customized and everything with what you "need."

i understand where they're coming from, with a laptop issued through the school they'll cover all potential problems and there's no compatibility issues. then what is Bootcamp for Macs? if i understand correctly it will run (almost) any Windows operating system without any flaws on a Mac. (big side note: what i don't get is that three of the schools that require i get a PC laptop through them have Mac computer labs at the school, what's the point of that...?)

i am REALLY tired of Windows, i've been waiting for college so i can get a Macbook Pro. however, 3 of my 6 schools require i buy a Windows laptop through them, whether it's an HP, Dell or whatever. f*k that! i have no choice. ignoring the money issue, is such a bad idea to get a Macbook Pro (most likely within a couple months) then get the school issued laptop in August/September and use both? i would have the school one for school work like essays and projects, then the MBP for leisure.

i haven't made the deposit to any of the schools i've gotten into so far so i'm not actually devoted anywhere yet.
    please don't flame or anything:p

2. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

If they want you to have that particular Windows laptop, there's probably a reason - particular software, etc. - and if you'd be running Windows all the time on the Mac, that'd be kind of sacrilegious anyway, huh? :)

As much as it pains me to say (even though I have one myself), if that's what your school "requires," just get the Windows laptop. It'd be kind of a waste to keep up with two, anyway. Besides, Windows 7 isn't bad at all...

What are you looking at going into that requires a particular laptop? Is it some sort of programming, CAD work, or something else? Just curious...

3. Joewebster macrumors member

I'm sorry to say that you'll probably end up having to break down and buy a Windows machine through them, and if you have the extra cash, then buy a Macbook pro. Although, I'd wait until around october or something to see if after using your windows machine you won't have the need for a Macbook Pro.

4. bobfitz14 thread starter macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

the schools show the breakdown of the laptops and there's no particular software or anything, it's just like a certain amount of RAM, HD, and warranty.

i'm not doing anything tech related either, i'm going for political science. i don't plan on taking any programming class or anything, i do like that stuff but it's defintely not something i want to make a career out of.

haha the truth hurts :(. my current computer, as seen in my sig, is awful and i don't think i could make it until college with it. i wouldn't get the college laptop until right before school starts in the fall. meh!

5. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Ahh, geez.... where do they get off telling you what type of laptop to get then, anyway? In that case, I say screw them and get the MBP... :)

6. zrbecker macrumors member

7. Cboss macrumors 6502

If you absolutely MUST buy a school issued laptop then I wouldn't recommend a 2nd Mac laptop unless you absolutely need two laptops. Maybe an iMac?

If you only need to install a few programs from your college, then I would definitely get a MacBook Pro. Using that along with Windows 7 in Bootcamp is great and what I personally do. Bootcamp will allow you to run any recent (at least XP and newer) Windows OS and Windows applications exactly like any PC would. Including antivirus, which many colleges require (although I didn't install it on my MacBook and they haven't cared so far).

Added: If they only care about certain amounts of RAM, HD, and OS then I recommend a Mac with Bootcamp. They're probably just making sure people who aren't tech savvy don't only have netbooks with Linux installed. That could cause major headaches for their IT people.

8. bobfitz14 thread starter macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

haha i wish! one of the school's websites specifically says there is no way around it. i HAVE to buy their laptop. it's a crap Dell that's way overpriced if you ask me. i could probably find a link if you want it.

easier said than done! i was deferred from my first choice school until March 15th and that school doesn't care what kind of computer i get, and i could get a student discount with Apple through them, as of now i'm kind of banking on getting into that school for several reasons other than the ability to get a Mac:eek::rolleyes:

as far as i know there isn't any programs that they require. though some of my classes themselves might i don't think they will because they won't be computer classes or photography or anything of the like.

i would be completely fine with getting a MBP and buying a copy of Windows __(insert desired OS)__ and anti-virus and whatever else i would need. they think otherwise...

9. Joewebster macrumors member

Well, as an alternative to buying a macbook pro, and wasting a ton of money on two top of the line computers, buy an iBook G4 or a Powerbook G4, they are nice computers and will get you through till you get your new computer, and are good leisure Macs. I have an iBook G4, and it's a nice little machine, get this, I only paid $125 for it, bought it off of eBay.

10. bobfitz14 thread starter macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

no offense but i don't know if that would be such a great idea for me. if i got a MBP i would definitely treat the thing like gold and as long as there would be no hardware problems i would make it last as long as possible, thus making it a good investment in my eyes. i don't really want a cheap starter Mac.

11. Joewebster macrumors member

Yeah I get what you mean, I love my shiny Macbook Pro. Well, then you have three choices in my eyes.

1. Go to a different school
    2. Buy the laptop specified by the school, and the macbook pro
    3. Just buy the laptop specified by the school.

12. thirdykal macrumors member

Windows 7 is like Windows Vista and OSX had some sort of illegitimate child. OSX performance, dock and search with a REALLY nice Windows Vista Aero look. As long as the computer they sell you has Windows 7 (ANY version but basic) it'll be fine. I personally can't go back to windows (I have it on Bootcamp as a backup system/games), but people who have been using previous versions of Windows then switch to 7 all sing praises about how well it runs, and the sleekness of it all. Having two laptops of pretty much equal hardware is a waste, you spend double now, when in 3 years both will be outdated anyways.

13. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I'm currently a college freshman. It wouldn't be bad to have a "back up" computer. I like to procrastinate and I was working on a paper the night before it was do. All of the sudden my MBP just locked up. Turned out my SSD drive gave out for the second time. I started up my windows machine and then logged into my mobile me account and downloaded the latest saved copy of my paper and continued working like nothing happened.

My second computer allowed me to keep working while my third drive was shipped to me. Computers are weird things and yours may or may not break but its nice knowing that if my computer breaks late at night that I don't have to worry if the library or some computer lab is open.

Oh and I'm an IT major with a MBP as my main computer and I haven't come across anything yet that bootcamp cant handle.

14. bobfitz14 thread starter macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

yeaaaa. as i said in a previous post i'm deferred from my first choice, i think i have decent chances of getting in but still nothing is guaranteed in life.

what i'm starting to think is i can wait until i get the final letter from that school, and if i get in i'm 99.9% sure i'm going there so i could just get a MBP right around then, waiting for an update would be nice but i don't really have the patience if it's >6months.

and if i don't get in, well then i'll be right back here with another thread:D. just kidding! if i don't get in and the school i decide on requires i get a laptop through them i will, and i'll save up for a better model MBP than i would get now.

so what you're saying is Windows 7 isn't that bad? if only the laptops my schools require ran it...

thanks for the insight. it seems like there would be some good things out of having two laptops (for example failure of one) but some negative aspects as well (cost, and being outdated doesn't take long).

15. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Like one of the other posters said if you do take the schools laptop it probably would be worth it to wait until around Octoberish time frame. Apple typically updates the MBP around that time. There's not much of a need to rush and get a laptop that will have old features/ out of date if you already have one (even if its a windows machine haha)

16. bobfitz14 thread starter macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i'm kind of impatient but if i could wait until October no doubt about it i would. my current computer is on its way out and i don't think it could make it until August/Sept!

17. Paul B macrumors 6502

What school forces you to buy a particular laptop?

If I'm in that spot, I would petition to get the laptop of my choice. As long as it can do the same set of tasks that the school's laptop can do, the school shouldn't have a problem with it. If not, I wouldn't go there.

18. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Oops; I voted incorrectly. I meant to say:

Buy the cheapest thing you can from them (netbook or something) and sell it on eBay.

Then buy a MBP. Get Parallels and run Windows for the programs you need.

19. creon macrumors 6502

Look where you are asking.

You want the Mac, so get it.

20. bobfitz14 thread starter macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i don't know if i'll regret doing this but example: http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1210.xml
    eck! look at the specs of the thing, it costs $1150.

Parallels? is that the same as Bootcamp? i would love to do that but i don't know if they would check up on me about the laptop or anything. "ermm....i sold it on eBay, but look at this Macbook!"

21. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

i say buy the one they're offering. I think the MBP will be luxury :]

22. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Rules are made to be broken. Those schools forcing you to buy their laptops are implying you to break the rules. ;)

Jokes aside, buy what they want you to and sell it. They can't kick you out because you aren't using their laptop.

23. Malsi macrumors regular

Don't waste your time buying the school laptop. My sister went to a school that required her to purchase one through them. All I can say is there was nothing her computer could do that my old PowerBook G4 couldn't do just as good, if not better.
    The specs on the laptop are horrid for the listed price. Just buy a cheapo pc from craigslist or eBay or an old iBook to hold you over till the next apple notebook refresh. Don't worry about support for your new mac ( if that's what you choose to pic) because you can get apple care for up to three years. Also, don't forget the fountain of information that is macrumors.com. If you ever need any assistance just use the sites search engine, and if you don't find what you are looking for just ask. Though I don't post much on this site, I constantly visit it, and have seen that it is very helpful, perhaps moreso than your schools "pc support group aka another way to make money off of poor college student".

Sorry in advance for my lack of grammer skills. I went through middle school and high school in Palestine, and they never really focused on English grammer.

24. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Dude, that thing SUCKS. $1150 and you only get 2GB of RAM and an 80GB hard drive and VISTA?!?!?!? That's a joke. I am using my Acer 5534-1121 right now and it has 4GB of RAM and a 320GB hard drive and 7 Home Premium and I paid $360.

That is a total rip-off. And its an even bigger joke that they REQUIRE you to purchase that crap. Guarantee their getting a portion of the price on that.

25. mcruzader macrumors regular

Yeah I say to the hell with that, I would definitely look into buying the MBP, even if you bought the PC and then sold it on Ebay I would think you could on get $200 for it. Fusion or Bootcamp either way you will be able to run all of the schools programs, and if they give you crap about needing a finger print reader for security just buy this. ;)