College Students: buying penryn or waiting for montevina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingshrubb, Jul 6, 2008.

?

College Students: buying Penryn now or waiting for Montevina?

  1. Buying / Bought Penryn

    45 vote(s)
    42.5%
  2. Still waiting for Montevina

    61 vote(s)
    57.5%
  1. kingshrubb macrumors regular

    kingshrubb

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2008
    #1
    Just wondering what most people entering college are doing.. going with penryn now or waiting for montevina. I'm still waiting for montevina, but it seems like its going to come out so late I wont be able to get used to it (I'm switching from windows) or have any fun with it before school starts =(
     
  2. mynameisshawn macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2008
    Location:
    Oregon
    #2
    I bought mine a week ago.
    If you keep waiting for the next update you'll have to wait until Apple goes out of business. Buy it now, have fun with it.
     
  3. Fenir macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    Location:
    Kalamazoo, MI
    #3
    I'm waiting until the middle of August. Whatever is out then I will get.
     
  4. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

    kaiwai

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2007
    Location:
    Christchurch
    #4
    The temptation is there to wait but at the same time, I think the risk is this; firstly, its a 1.0 release, new platform, new features, no drivers - and new bugs.

    Although it does promise alot, at the same time, is it worth it? for me, I've settled on a MacBook - and sure, I could wait for this new platform, but murphey's law, the graphics drivers will be horrible, there will be a slew of users complaining.

    A better way is this:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrino#Montevina_platform_.282008.29

    Do you need those features? Also, I doubt the MacBook would get an update, the difference between the MacBook Pro and MacBook would come uncomfortably close to the point that Macbooks might end up canibalising MacBook Pro sales.
     
  5. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    #5
    i finally decided waiting is retarded. I am happy that i got my MBP for 300 bucks less. because i just sold the ipod touch. I think that is much more worth it, then just getting some performance increases. So! If they end up releasing a new mbp and still give out the free ipods!? Then ill be bummed. But not really.
     
  6. aosman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    #6
    I would say wait: a MBP case redesign is imminent; they have had the same design for a while now, they will probably take a look at something new very soon. That's what I think, at least.
     
  7. kashik macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    #7
    I waited for the Penryn update before I bought mine. I wouldn't do that again. Although I did get a slightly better computer, I didn't have one for the entire first term and a bit of the second one. It is always nice getting the latest and greatest iteration as well, but how much more power are you getting? How much are you saving on processing time? The Penryn didn't change much, Montevina will be similar.

    If you really want to notice a difference, find a way to wait til the Nehalem update.
     
  8. Yixian macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Europe
    #8
    The new MBPs are imminent, we've crossed into the "just waiting for the formality of them actually being made available" phase now. Any week in the next 8 we'll have them, keep your credit card in your wallet for now.
     
  9. kingshrubb thread starter macrumors regular

    kingshrubb

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2008
    #9
    Thx Yixian lol, you've convinced me to keep waiting. I guess ill force myself to keep waiting by buying iPhone 3G this week so i can have a little bit of Apple for now and not have to use this chunky dell. :D
     
  10. Yixian macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Europe
    #10
    Lmao exactly what I'm doing :D

    A day feels like a month right now while waiting though so the new ones can't come quick enough!
     
  11. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

    drewsof07

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2006
    Location:
    Ohio
    #11
    Got a penryn upgrade replacement from my merom, I'm perfectly content with the performance :)
     
  12. Yixian macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Europe
    #12
    Montevina is the least important aspect of the Montevina MBPs for me, it's the GPU, the case and the possibility of Blu Ray that I'm in it for. And I'd sacrifice both of the latter two for a decent of the former too..
     
  13. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2008
    Location:
    New York
    #13
    I bought my Penryn MBP mid-June. For me, I just couldn't wait any longer; my previous laptop was pushing 5 years old and Windows was beginning to annoy me to no end.
     
  14. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

    kingcrowing

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    Location:
    Burlington, VT
    #14
    I'm ordering mine this weekend, tax Free weekend in VT, and a free iPod Touch, thats like $450 worth of savings because I was planning on getting an iPod eventually anyways... so might as well get it free!

    I personally really liek the current case design so they might change it, but if they do hey, I'm still happy with the current case and if I got the last generation with this style, then thats fine I'll know I got the last of a solid line of notebooks, because I'm sure if they change a lot of stuff theres going to be issues.
     
  15. B1rdman macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    #15
    I'm in the same situation as OP...waiting for montevina...my college doesn't start til late Sept. though so I'll probably buy around early Sept. before the back to school promotion is over. Hopefully they come out by then! If apple comes out with it a few days later I would be pretty pissed though...(a few days after school promotion ends...)
     
  16. Kyouya macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    #16
    I've also purchased one recently. I am very happy with the performance, got no regrets at all.

    If Apple releases a laptop with revolutionary redesign, godly performance etc. etc. I can simply ebay/give to sister my current one and buy a new one after a year or two =)
     
  17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #17
    Depends on the release. I have to buy before the 22nd of July because I'm going to Ireland for my first semester of college. As much as I'd like to help their economy, everything is expensive like tanj in Europe, so I'm buying over here.
     
  18. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #18
    I just want to clarify that it's Peryn now or Peryn until January 2009.
     
  19. joepunk macrumors 68030

    joepunk

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2004
    Location:
    a profane existence
    #19
    The iPod Touch/Nano/printer deal is nice this time but I don't really need anything right away am still happy with my PB. But it is very tempting at the moment :)
     
  20. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

    Stang68

    Joined:
    May 29, 2007
    Location:
    USA
    #20
    I think I am going to wait. Right now I have a 15" Santa Rosa and use it for Final Cut, After Effects, and all that good stuff. It is a 2GB memory one so I am pushing it to its limits right now. My bro is coming to the same college as me so I am going to buy the Montevina one when it comes out (hopefully in August) and give him my "old" one (its only from June of last year). Come onnnnn August! :D
     
  21. magiic macrumors regular

    magiic

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2008
    Location:
    Victoria
  22. Fabreze macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    #22
    me too. I have a strange feeling that the b2s deal will come and go without Montevina. And right now iI'm not sure if the bump will be worth losing the free ipod
     
  23. OpenWheelFan macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2007
    #23
    I'm waiting. The Intel delay is supposed to be over around 7/14; giving Apple a few weeks to bask in the iPhone 3G buzz, I'm hoping for a MBP announcement early in August...
     
  24. billy12 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2008
    #24
    The Montevina laptops will still have Penryn CPUs. The current Macbook Pros with Penryn CPUs are Santa Rosa-based (minus Intel's Wi-Fi adaptor).
     
  25. willw77 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2008
    #25
    I bought mine in mid June about 2 weeks ago and haven't regretted it. If something new and amzing comes out cool. But I'm happy with my MBP even if it is the last before the design change, and I don't doubt it will still be relatively up to date for at least the next year or two.
     

Share This Page