College Students: buying penryn or waiting for montevina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingshrubb, Jul 6, 2008.

?

College Students: buying Penryn now or waiting for Montevina?

1. Buying / Bought Penryn

45 vote(s)
    42.5%
  2. Still waiting for Montevina

61 vote(s)
    57.5%
  1. kingshrubb macrumors regular

kingshrubb

Just wondering what most people entering college are doing.. going with penryn now or waiting for montevina. I'm still waiting for montevina, but it seems like its going to come out so late I wont be able to get used to it (I'm switching from windows) or have any fun with it before school starts =(

2. mynameisshawn macrumors member

I bought mine a week ago.
    If you keep waiting for the next update you'll have to wait until Apple goes out of business. Buy it now, have fun with it.

3. Fenir macrumors regular

I'm waiting until the middle of August. Whatever is out then I will get.

4. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

The temptation is there to wait but at the same time, I think the risk is this; firstly, its a 1.0 release, new platform, new features, no drivers - and new bugs.

Although it does promise alot, at the same time, is it worth it? for me, I've settled on a MacBook - and sure, I could wait for this new platform, but murphey's law, the graphics drivers will be horrible, there will be a slew of users complaining.

A better way is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrino#Montevina_platform_.282008.29

Do you need those features? Also, I doubt the MacBook would get an update, the difference between the MacBook Pro and MacBook would come uncomfortably close to the point that Macbooks might end up canibalising MacBook Pro sales.

5. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

i finally decided waiting is retarded. I am happy that i got my MBP for 300 bucks less. because i just sold the ipod touch. I think that is much more worth it, then just getting some performance increases. So! If they end up releasing a new mbp and still give out the free ipods!? Then ill be bummed. But not really.

6. aosman macrumors 6502

I would say wait: a MBP case redesign is imminent; they have had the same design for a while now, they will probably take a look at something new very soon. That's what I think, at least.

7. kashik macrumors regular

I waited for the Penryn update before I bought mine. I wouldn't do that again. Although I did get a slightly better computer, I didn't have one for the entire first term and a bit of the second one. It is always nice getting the latest and greatest iteration as well, but how much more power are you getting? How much are you saving on processing time? The Penryn didn't change much, Montevina will be similar.

If you really want to notice a difference, find a way to wait til the Nehalem update.

8. Yixian macrumors 65816

The new MBPs are imminent, we've crossed into the "just waiting for the formality of them actually being made available" phase now. Any week in the next 8 we'll have them, keep your credit card in your wallet for now.

9. kingshrubb thread starter macrumors regular

kingshrubb

Thx Yixian lol, you've convinced me to keep waiting. I guess ill force myself to keep waiting by buying iPhone 3G this week so i can have a little bit of Apple for now and not have to use this chunky dell. :D

10. Yixian macrumors 65816

Lmao exactly what I'm doing :D

A day feels like a month right now while waiting though so the new ones can't come quick enough!

11. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Got a penryn upgrade replacement from my merom, I'm perfectly content with the performance :)

12. Yixian macrumors 65816

Montevina is the least important aspect of the Montevina MBPs for me, it's the GPU, the case and the possibility of Blu Ray that I'm in it for. And I'd sacrifice both of the latter two for a decent of the former too..

13. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

I bought my Penryn MBP mid-June. For me, I just couldn't wait any longer; my previous laptop was pushing 5 years old and Windows was beginning to annoy me to no end.

14. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I'm ordering mine this weekend, tax Free weekend in VT, and a free iPod Touch, thats like $450 worth of savings because I was planning on getting an iPod eventually anyways... so might as well get it free!

I personally really liek the current case design so they might change it, but if they do hey, I'm still happy with the current case and if I got the last generation with this style, then thats fine I'll know I got the last of a solid line of notebooks, because I'm sure if they change a lot of stuff theres going to be issues.

15. B1rdman macrumors newbie

I'm in the same situation as OP...waiting for montevina...my college doesn't start til late Sept. though so I'll probably buy around early Sept. before the back to school promotion is over. Hopefully they come out by then! If apple comes out with it a few days later I would be pretty pissed though...(a few days after school promotion ends...)

16. Kyouya macrumors member

I've also purchased one recently. I am very happy with the performance, got no regrets at all.

If Apple releases a laptop with revolutionary redesign, godly performance etc. etc. I can simply ebay/give to sister my current one and buy a new one after a year or two =)

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Depends on the release. I have to buy before the 22nd of July because I'm going to Ireland for my first semester of college. As much as I'd like to help their economy, everything is expensive like tanj in Europe, so I'm buying over here.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just want to clarify that it's Peryn now or Peryn until January 2009.

19. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

The iPod Touch/Nano/printer deal is nice this time but I don't really need anything right away am still happy with my PB. But it is very tempting at the moment :)

20. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I think I am going to wait. Right now I have a 15" Santa Rosa and use it for Final Cut, After Effects, and all that good stuff. It is a 2GB memory one so I am pushing it to its limits right now. My bro is coming to the same college as me so I am going to buy the Montevina one when it comes out (hopefully in August) and give him my "old" one (its only from June of last year). Come onnnnn August! :D

21. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

22. Fabreze macrumors member

me too. I have a strange feeling that the b2s deal will come and go without Montevina. And right now iI'm not sure if the bump will be worth losing the free ipod

23. OpenWheelFan macrumors member

I'm waiting. The Intel delay is supposed to be over around 7/14; giving Apple a few weeks to bask in the iPhone 3G buzz, I'm hoping for a MBP announcement early in August...

24. billy12 macrumors member

The Montevina laptops will still have Penryn CPUs. The current Macbook Pros with Penryn CPUs are Santa Rosa-based (minus Intel's Wi-Fi adaptor).

25. willw77 macrumors newbie

I bought mine in mid June about 2 weeks ago and haven't regretted it. If something new and amzing comes out cool. But I'm happy with my MBP even if it is the last before the design change, and I don't doubt it will still be relatively up to date for at least the next year or two.