Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chiotas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2015
Hey guys,
I have a really odd issue with color calibration of two new MacBook Pro 2018 with the same configuration:

- 15" display
- Radeon Pro 560X + Intel UHD Graphics 630
- macOS 10.13.6 (lates High Sierra)

I started to calibrate the first one with X-Rite i1Display and i1Profiler.
As soon as the profile is created and loaded, I get strange azure artifacts that replace the black colors displayed on my screen, both images and text.
It's so strange as if I take a screenshot and I post here, you'll see everything ok, so I had to make a video that you can check here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yvrS0ZdQRTWTfFHEIoFOnZFsAn9Bbl3e

The super strange thing is that the problem persists only if you close the calibration app. If you leave it open, everything is fine.
Obviously I thought that the issue was related to X-Rite, but then I decided to calibrate the second MacBook Pro using Spyder 4 Elite, so another brand with another software and another calibration probe.

The result is the same, azure artifacts with the created profile (but this time even with the calibration app open).

Does anybody experience the same issue? Any idea?

Somebody reported this was a bug on an early PB of Mojave, but now fixed. Can anybody confirm it?

Thank you!

popcorn-in-sac

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Seattle, WA area
Hey guys,
I have a really odd issue with color calibration of two new MacBook Pro 2018 with the same configuration:

- 15" display
- Radeon Pro 560X + Intel UHD Graphics 630
- macOS 10.13.6 (lates High Sierra)

I started to calibrate the first one with X-Rite i1Display and i1Profiler.
As soon as the profile is created and loaded, I get strange azure artifacts that replace the black colors displayed on my screen, both images and text.
It's so strange as if I take a screenshot and I post here, you'll see everything ok, so I had to make a video that you can check here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yvrS0ZdQRTWTfFHEIoFOnZFsAn9Bbl3e

The super strange thing is that the problem persists only if you close the calibration app. If you leave it open, everything is fine.
Obviously I thought that the issue was related to X-Rite, but then I decided to calibrate the second MacBook Pro using Spyder 4 Elite, so another brand with another software and another calibration probe.

The result is the same, azure artifacts with the created profile (but this time even with the calibration app open).

Does anybody experience the same issue? Any idea?

Somebody reported this was a bug on an early PB of Mojave, but now fixed. Can anybody confirm it?

Thank you!

I saw that exact same thing when I used my X-Rite setup (same as yours) to do the first calibration. I looked around some, and stumbled across this article from X-Rite. I did the steps for Issue #1. Seemed to allow mine to complete normally after that.

Chiotas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2015
I saw that exact same thing when I used my X-Rite setup (same as yours) to do the first calibration. I looked around some, and stumbled across this article from X-Rite. I did the steps for Issue #1. Seemed to allow mine to complete normally after that.

Just tested and thanks for the hope...but unfortunately not working :(

Falcon_64

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2017
I got the same thing using a Spyder 5. Realized I had True Tone still enabled, turned it off and the artifacts stopped. Didn’t think much else about it since True Tone would negate the purpose of profiling.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
Same here with xrite. Happens with autobrightness enabled. I used displayCAL too calibrate

Last edited:
Reactions: Chiotas

Chiotas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2015
IT WORKS!!!
Disabling the auto brightness it works!
Love you guys!
I hope in any case Apple will fix it!

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
I got the same thing using a Spyder 5. Realized I had True Tone still enabled, turned it off and the artifacts stopped. Didn’t think much else about it since True Tone would negate the purpose of profiling.

Yes you shouldn't have True Tone, Nightshift or Auto Brightness enabled if you are using calibrated color profiles. Xbrites and Spyders are traditionally for desktop monitors with fixed settings and predictable ambient conditions.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Disabling the auto brightness it works!
I personally keep auto brightness off. I don't want the computer to change the brightness based on ambient light, I also do that for True Tone.I want to see one color profile, I don't like them altering the white balance

Reactions: upandown

Chiotas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2015
I personally keep auto brightness off. I don't want the computer to change the brightness based on ambient light, I also do that for True Tone.I want to see one color profile, I don't like them altering the white balance

Totally agree on ture tone, is the first thing I deactivated once turned the Mac on.
Auto brightness can be useful actually, and that's why I keep it on and I turn it off only for image editing and printing.
So not a big issue, but I really hope Apple will fix it soon.
Apparently was also a bug in the early PB of Mojave, and now is fixed.

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.