Color of screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ipadfever, Jun 2, 2012.

?

What is your true color hue on a white background ?

1. Yellowish

24 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. Pinkish

22 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Greenish

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Pinkish/greenish

11 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Perfectly white

81 vote(s)
    57.9%
  1. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

This is a poll on what true color your screen is on a white background or reading anything on a white background.

2. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Perfect black. But it's turned off at the moment. :rolleyes:

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

My iPad 2 and iPad 3 both look identical in screen color/tint and brightness.

4. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Perfectly white should not exist as an option.

5. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

My iPad 3 is definitely more yellow than my iPad 2 and my iPhone 4.

6. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Pinkish, especially under natural sunlight. I do have a uniform screen though, so I suppose that's something, and colours are much more vibrant than on my old iPad 2

7. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

8. Jackintosh, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

None of the above, really. I have a warm shade of white. Not yellow, yet not perfectly white either. More like eggshell as in interior house paint colors.

9. Ipadfever thread starter macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

Pretty interesting

Thanks to those who have voted,do please continue to vote for those that haven't .

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Pretty much a useless poll. One man's perfect white is another man's yellow/pink/blue/green and vice versa. Without a standardized benchmark for comparson, no reliable claim of perfect white can be made, or yellow/green/pink/blue etc. for that matter.

11. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Pinkish at the bottom, and kinda yellow when it displays White colour :mad:

BTW, I've returned mine after 6 of them! I don't have time to keep exchanging it :(

12. Ipadfever thread starter macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

The whole purpose of this poll is to see a percentage of different hues, I understand your point of view and you couldn't be more right.

The one question that no one can answer is WHY! WHY are there different hues, no one can give me a definitive answer, not even apple corporate care.

This is no different than going to buy 5 cars and choosing the color white, the exact same car from the same company only to find that there is only one white car and the rest with different hues of white. I just don't get it.

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Yeah - that sounds democratic...

14. The Special One macrumors member

Pink and Yellow are the new white on the New iPad.

15. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

+1

I posted pictures of them side by side before i sold the 2

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I voted perfectly white, but I would say it looks a bit grayish in some spots.

17. stevemiller macrumors 65832

I'm of two minds on this whole thing. First, there is no 'true white' as white is perceived differently under different lighting conditions and environments. Blame human evolution for that one. So aside from some obvious lemons where the balance is way off, a certain amount of variation doesn't make a screen better or worse. Each one will just appear more pleasing under different conditions. Case in point, my iPhone screen looks a bit sickly compared to my iPad indoors, but vice versa outside in daylight. In this case it works because my phone is much more likely to be used when I'm out and about anyway.

BUT- as apple markets the quality of these screens more and more, I do think it would be worth them adding a few more advanced controls to take full advantage of them. Being able to calibrate natively would be a huge boon, ad would take the 'lottery' out of whether the screens temperature matches your usage environment.

18. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

My screen is whiter than my white bezel. I'd say that's white enough.

19. lsauer macrumors newbie

Color of screen

pink (lower right) to greenish (upper left)

20. Ipadfever, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

Ipadfever thread starter macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

Being as persistent as I am, I have finally received an answer from a top apple executive on why the screens have different hues and uneven tints.

The reason for all the different hues is due to the glass they use, for such a mass produced product, and coming from different companies, all the glasses vary. The factory does seem to matter to a degree but it all comes down to glass that is used and how well it's processed.

In conclusion MOST people will not notice it but there you have it for QC on the glass that is being used.

21. Rodster macrumors 68040

There fixed. :)

Thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot of sense.

22. VFC macrumors 6502a

You can say that about many of the individual parts used to manufacture the iPad. Is there the same variance in some of those other parts?

23. TheKricket macrumors member

I agree - this is just too subjective of a topic. Everyone's eyes really are different. Someone might look at a screen and say: "Hey, that's PERFECT" - and the guy next to him might think it looks straight-up pink (or yellow, or warm, or cold, etc).

At the end of the day - it's whether you have something you're happy with.

Mine - looks fine to my eyes. Maybe it's a little warm - but I can't say it looks yellow - and I definitely don't get any sort of "pink" feel out of it - but who knows - can I really say it's perfectly white? I don't think so...

24. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

That doesn't surprise me considering I can see my screen get progressively pinker under natural daylight.

25. rkahl macrumors 65816

We finally agree.