Color Problem - White is multihued in various areas, rose, green, brown, etc etc

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sean Dempsey, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

So I don't have a real yellow hue, but I am noticing a different problem I want to know if others are seeing.

When viewing a mostly white screen, like a webpage or a page of an ebook, the "white" parts sort of are various hues. Sort of greenish at the top, rose at the bottom. Maybe some tan areas. Point is, even though it's barely noticable, it's NOT white. And it's really bothering me.

When compared to the iPad 2, the difference is drastic and clear. The iPad 2 is a uniform, hueless white.

My question is - is this just the nature of the new display, and get over it? I have TWO "new iPads", both of which have the exact same symptom. It's not a yellow screen, it's sort of a rainbow effect. The right side is just sorta light green, and the left is sorta light red. It is just BARELY noticeable.

Am I being too picky, or are there actual WHITE iPads out there, and I just didn't get one (two).

My attached photo/sample shows this pretty clear. I know the eyedropper samples are extremely subtle - but it's totally noticeable and if that's how it is, I will have to return it until it's fixed... or is it just like that and I need to accept it?

Attached Files:

2. elmz macrumors regular

Maybe the book adds some shadows. Try finding a solid white background.

3. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Here's a sold white image I made that's 1536x2048. Save to Camera Roll and examine.

Attached Files:

4. tsdeng macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem. mine is 16G wifi version. the top left is greenish and bottom right looks bright pink.....

It's not obvious when you have complete white screen. It becomes quite noticeable when you browse a web page with mostly white background and text on it.

After further examination, I found actually the left part of the screen is greenish than the right part......

What should we do.....?

5. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I should add - I've tried this on every possible white source - pure white jpgs, pure white pngs, html pages set to #ffffff, enlarged screenshots straight from the iOS ui. All of it.

The book page is white. I can re-do the photo, but it's visually identical on any white surface.

6. daveb99 macrumors member

Definitely return it. I had the same problem, exchanged my iPad for another one, and this one is perfect. The screen is also brighter (at the same brightness level) and has even better contrast. Don't hesitate!

7. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

With a pure white image, the max brightness between the new iPad and the iPad 2 was extreme. The iPad2 is tremendously brighter, and a pure, even white.

8. tsdeng macrumors newbie

I haven't compared it with others. But the uneven screen is more problematic. Any guys having similar problem???
    please share your experience on dealing with it. thanks!

9. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Also - I have TWO new iPads - both 32g 4G. Both have the same problem, almost exactly. Looks like seeing a rainbow oil slick across a body of water.

Oh well.

10. tsdeng macrumors newbie

I don't see rainbow...
    The only thing I see is that the top/left of the screen is greenish and bottom/right is pinky... And I feel the top/left part is also darker....

Do you see the same?

11. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Essentially yes.

12. tsdeng macrumors newbie

Do you plan to get it replaced?

I made an appointment to genius bar tomorrow... hoping can get it replaced.

When reading a book or web page, it becomes really obvious. some part is darker/greenish and some part is pinkish/lighter.

13. seadragon Contributor

The 3 iPads I bought and returned all had this problem. Some would say the percentage of screen issues is small. Then what are the chances that I got 3 with this problem? Two from Future Shop and one from the Apple Store. Very frustrating!

14. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I will be returning it tomorrow, and I'll wait and see what the Genius says about getting a new one. I will probably just look at the floor models and see if they have any problems. I really don't want buy/open/replace over and over.

15. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

I am seeing something very similar.

When in portrait mode, the left side (almost 1/3 of the screen) is a lot warmer tHan the right side. Additionally, the top side of the screen has a greener hue than the bottom part, but not as noticeable as the first problem explained above.

Thinking of taking it back... Just a question, I ordered it online - can I take it back to the store or do I have to send it back by mail?

----------

Hope it works out for you. I imagine it's tough to really get a feel for screen uniformity in a brightly-lit store, I'd like to hear what your experience is like.

16. seadragon Contributor

You should be able to just take it to a brick and mortar Apple Store. They don't care if you bought it online or not.

17. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

Good to know, thanks :)

18. tsdeng macrumors newbie

Just an update:

I got mine replaced.
    The new one is much better, no more pinky or greenish. The "genius" discovered my problem immediately and said he saw a similar one before. So I think apple haven't mastered the technique perfectly to mass produce retina display this large and keep the quality at the same time.....

19. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I received a new one, no better. I opened it in the store and the employee took it to the back and said it looked the same as all the others, and that is "just how they are."

What a huge disappointment. I think I will just get a refund and forget about it. For some reason, it just doesn't feel worth it to do this over and over.

20. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I've had three and they have all had the same problem. One pre ordered, one from a local Curry's and one from the Apple Store.

I have a genius appointment tomorrow and I'll try one more time. If this fails I'm giving up. I wish I still had my iPad 2.

It's such a shame. I love it otherwise. I've looked at Samsung tablets and while the screens are at least even, they're not a patch on the iPad in terms of usability.

I just can't live with a blue tinge and the bottom with pink at the top. It's horrible.

21. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

This is my 3rd as well. All have the same blue/pink.

22. jpmxch macrumors newbie

I have the same problem as well, although its more green at the top and pink at the bottom. Not sure if I should exchange.

23. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

These sound defective. My 16 gb wifi black is as perfect a screen as I have ever seen, and I thought the iPad 2 screen looked nice.

Uniform backlight, white, whites no light bleed and extremely accurately colours. :)

Now if only my iPhone 4S screen was the same :(

I hate this Apple screen lottery and I thought the Samsung screen lottery was bad.

Saying that I only had problems with the iPhone 4S screen. iPhone 3G, 4, iPad 2, new iPad all perfect screens.

24. tsdeng macrumors newbie

Even though the new one I got is much better than the old one, which is crazy uneven... But I can still feel that some part of the screen is warmer and some is coder... But I can live with that.

So my suggestion is, if you feel uncomfortable after reading pdf/web page on your iPad because of the unevenness of the screen, then return/exchange it!

If that doesn't bother you much when reading text, then live with it.

Good luck guys

25. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I'm on my 2nd iPad 3. The first had a major band of blue/green running diagonally across the screen, with pink in the corners. The 2nd one has pink and green splotches here and there but not as bad. I checked a friend's...his has it too. Went to another Apple store and theirs ran the gamut of splotchy pink/green/blue to totally pink to yellowish. I'm keeping mine for now, for fear of a replacement that's worse.