Colour Wars - Black vs White iPad2 - Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iFanboy, Mar 20, 2011.

?

Which colour iPad 2 do you prefer?

1. White iPad 2 all the way baby!

85 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. Black iPad 2 all the way baby!

99 vote(s)
    49.0%
  3. I like carpet.

18 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. iFanboy Guest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SNPIBwzK6g

Here's a colour comparison video if it will help.

I am in the UK and planning on getting an iPad 2 when it's released on the 25th.

Really really torn on the colour. Some days I think black, others I think white :eek:

What do you think?

2. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

You know there is a search function? This has been done to death.

3. iFanboy thread starter Guest

Actually, I did do a search.

All the main threads since launch have been various specific takes on the topic of colour, such as "why I find the white bezel distracting", and "why I feel the black bezel looks classier".

I couldn't find a poll thread since launch inviting opinions as to which one people preferred - which is why I made this one.

Feel free to ignore this thread if you don't like it though. I won't mind :)

4. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I don't find the white bezel the least bit distracting. I also think it makes the device look unique compared to my iPhone and MacBook Pro.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Black is for professional use. White is for girls! Lol!

What does it matter, it is what ever you want. I do not think it was worth the option as it just made the choices even harder to find while the device is in short supply.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

White is for professional use. Black is for boys.:D

7. syc23 macrumors member

Haven't made up my mind whether to get an iPad yet (most likely iPad3 if it gets a retina display). I think black is better as it's less distracting and allows you to focus better on the screen. It's probably why most TVs are black. White is better at hiding scratches and dust though.

8. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

White bezel = Reading & Web browsing
    Black bezel = Video & Gaming

9. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

The white on is good if you want to show off. If you see a white ipad it can only be the ipad2 of a black ipad in the other hand can be either one.
    Just to make sure i think everyone on this forum can tell the difference between those even by far distance but the not do geegy user may not.

10. iFanboy thread starter Guest

I disagree. White appears to have other benefits also, such as less visable fingerprints along the bezel.

I have also seen claims that it keeps the device cooler in the sun, but a huge CITATION NEEDED on that one imo.

11. Kontext macrumors newbie

Personally, I'll be getting the black version.
    I want to put my iPad into a leather case since the Smart Cover doesn't offer enough protection for my taste. I'd prefer brown as color (I think it's a nice alternative to the standard black), most likely the upcoming iPad 2 version of this case:
    http://ii.alatest.com/product/600x4...nac-H-lle-Case-Etui-aus-echtem-Leder-Et-0.jpg

Black seems more neutral to me and looks better in a brown leather case than white does. If I'd be using no case or probably a Smart Cover, I would go for the white version. (This was what I was planning actually but then I changed my mind and altered my order.)

:)

12. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

I prefer the white and thats the one I really want. Alas, I just typed this on the black version I was actually able to secure now.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

14. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

I ordered white, I'm tired of black after the whole white iPhone fiasco...

15. ahideg macrumors newbie

I initially wanted white since I never got the white iPhone that I'd wanted. After thinking about it for a bit I decided to stick with black this time too. I feel like the white would end up driving me crazy. The black seems to just disappear, for me, while I'm using it.

16. reputationZed, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

reputationZed macrumors 65816

Im not all that confident this one will be any more objective. If your having that hard of a time making a decision flip a coin or better yet put off the purchase until you know which one you want. The problem with the black / white question is that all the answers are subjective.

Is the white bezel distracting? I dont find it distracting at all but plenty of others will argue the opposite. Neither answer is right or wrong because what we find distracting is subjective.

There are those who feel owning a white iPad will lead to gender confusion while owning a black iPad is a right of manhood. Personally I find drawing any form of correlation between what color your iPad is and manliness says more about ones insecurities than anything else. But here again the answers are subjective.

The most laughable argument to my eyes is that the only people buying white iPads are the ones who want to show off, the ones who want to be different, while buying a black iPad allows you to fit in with the rest of the club, to conform. So much for Think different

The other argument that gets thrown around quite a bit is that black is more professional. What about medical settings, wouldn't white be the more professional choice in hospitals and doctors offices. I'm not even sure why having your iPad look profesional is even a consideration. Will people assume your a professional because you carry a black iPad?

I understand looking for some advice on which one would be a better solution in your case, I'm just afraid your not likely to find the clear cut answer your looking for.

17. Sn0wball macrumors regular

White. Just. Looks. Wrong.

Like a cheapo kitchen appliance.

18. reputationZed macrumors 65816

My kitchen appliances are black

19. Sn0wball macrumors regular

I bet you changed your whole kitchen to black just to match the iPad, didn't you?

Yes, I know you Apple fanboys... :D

20. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I really never understood why certain members have to seize on every opportunity to scold someone who might start a new post about a topi that's already been posted about. So the fuuck what. Are they the police of macrumors? If you think someone is posting redundantly, just ignore it. It's not like they're taking something from you. Stop being such a-holes.

21. reputationZed macrumors 65816

No I bought the white iPad, no money left over to remodel the kitchen. I guess calling me an Apple fanboy is your way of saying "uncle"

22. Sn0wball macrumors regular

Come again? :confused:

23. Good.Shepherd macrumors member

If seen in the wrong type of light, the white looks yellow and dingy.

But outside of that, the white looks very sharp and isn't inherently distracting. I like it.

I chose black because that's my preference overall. But the white looks good and I wouldn't be upset if that's what I'd come away with.

24. iFanboy thread starter Guest

Shouldn't say that. It puts pressure on him ;)

25. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

I've had both black and white iPad 2's, and I must say that the black is way, way, way better than the white. The white is nice, but the black is so much better.