com.apple.ubiquity.peer certificate

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by negativepitch, Dec 16, 2012.

1. negativepitch macrumors newbie

hi,
    I am running Lion 10.7.5
    I have just been having a nose around, and noticed in my keychain that I have a com.apple.ubiquity.peer certificate with a load of numbers and letters after it, and it says it is not trusted,
    I have changed it to trust, however I notice that the certificate expired on the 19th october 2012, doest this make any difference, and should I change it back to untrusted ?
    I have clicked on the certificate to see what it is, and near the bottom it says,
    key usage, verify wrap drive,
    critical, yes
    purpose, email protection
    as im a complete novice/newB to all this, any advice would be great, in simple to understand terms if possible.
    many thanks

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Do you have any gear from this company or connect to a network controlled by them?

3. negativepitch thread starter macrumors newbie

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Anybody, including any evil hacker, in the world can create a certificate named "com.apple.ubiquity.peer certificate". Nobody except Apple should be able to create a certificate with that name that your computer trusts. By changing such a certificate to "trusted" you may be giving a hacker a chance to attack your computer.

5. justperry, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It's expired so I wouldn't worry about it, Don't know if you can delete it, if you can just delete it, otherwise just leave it as untrusted.
    I have a few expired ones in my keychain, those are built into the System and can't be deleted afaik, they don't bother me.

The identifier only brings up this company, they are reliable.

I did a search on google, found one on Apple, says it's probably iCloud.

Also on another thread:

6. negativepitch thread starter macrumors newbie

ok cheers for that, I'll untrust it again, I can delete it, but think I will just leave it, I have done a good few searches and came up with the same thing as you, icloud (beta?)
    anyways, I thought it might be something to worry about,
    thanks for all your help :)