Home Combine Amazon Alexa (Dot) with Homekit?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by lala6971, Sep 22, 2016.

1. lala6971 macrumors newbie

lala6971

Is it possible to combine an Amazon Dot (since they are just $50) for Alexa control and still maintain Homekit Siri control on the same devices? A Dot would be convenient for when a phone is left in my bag or the kids leave their phone upstairs or whatever. And the price point is pretty sweet now on the Dot since I don't care about the full speaker.

I have the following on my Homekit setup:

* Phillips Hue 2.0 Hub and lights
    * Ecobee 3 with 3 remote sensors
    * As of this weekend - Lutron Caseta with Smartbridge
    * Apple TV gen 4

I love using Siri and am committed to the Homekit standard but if a Dot would work in the same config....there would be a lot of happy dancing. :)

2. iPhonetherefore macrumors regular

Don't think that will work. Alex as skills don't include specific HomeKit support so will have to go app by app.
    Minor thing that annoys me about echo is that you have to tell it the service you want in the voice command. E.g. Siri you can say turn the lights off but with echo you have to say ask hue to turn lights off.

3. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

Based on the various YouTube videos I've watched, it looks like you just say "Alexa, turn on living room lights" or "Alexa, turn living room lights to 40%". I've got 2 of the new Dots on pre-order for that very reason.

4. ttate90303 macrumors regular

I hedged my bets with making sure much of my gear supports Homekit (hoping things improve in the future), by also ensuring they work with Amazon Echo (Alexa). So far I can opt to use Siri or Alexa to control my Hue lights, Harmony Hub (via IFTTT), Ecobee3 Smart Thermostat. I'm looking forward to Sonos being controlled by Alexa (since no chance of Homekit at this point). Considering an August (Homekit) Smart Lock to round out my Smart Home. I do have a pre-order for a DOT when it comes out.

5. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

That's basically what I'm doing. I have Hue lights and just got a Harmony Elite with the Hub. I already had a Nest before I realized it would never be homekit compatible. I'm probably adding an August lock soon

6. lala6971 thread starter macrumors newbie

lala6971

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm on that path as well - Ecobee3, Hue, and Lutron Caseta. Expansion plans include a few smart plug-ins, security senors (thinking Eve on that front), and maybe eventually a smart lock. (Need to update the actual door first!) I think I'll pre-order a Dot now too.

7. ttate90303 macrumors regular

Still on the fence with August Smart Lock - needs to better integrate with existing hubs rather than requiring an additional outlay of ~$70 to be WiFi capable/remote access. And the geo-fencing needs the ability to be managed by the user. But I do like it's simple installation.

8. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

Can the Eve devices be used as triggers now? I know in the past they couldn't. That's why I was leaning toward SmartThings to assemble a home automation/security system.