Comcast Outbids Disney for Fox's Assets With $65 Billion All-Cash Offer

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Just a day after a U.S. District Judge approved the upcoming merger between AT&T and Time Warner, Comcast has submitted a bid for 21st Century Fox's TV and film assets, reports CNBC.

Comcast has presented Fox with an all-cash offer at $35 per share for a total of $65 billion, which beats out Disney's stock-based $52.4 billion deal. 21st Century Fox has already moved forward on a deal with Disney, but Comcast is aiming to change the minds of Fox's board members. From the letter sent to Fox's board by Brian Roberts, Comcast CEO.

[​IMG]
    Comcast first announced its plans to make a bid on 20th Century Fox, 20th Century Fox Television, several Fox-owned cable channels, and a stake in Hulu back in May, but the company was waiting on a final antitrust ruling in the AT&T/Time Warner merger. It was believed that if the ruling had not been in AT&T's favor, that Comcast would have backed off of its efforts to outbid Disney.

Both Disney and Comcast are interested in Fox's assets to expand their reach beyond the United States and to stock their streaming catalogs with Fox content, which includes movies like Avatar, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Deadpool, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Titanic, Miracle on 34th Street, The Shape of Water, and Gone Girl.

Article Link: Comcast Outbids Disney for Fox's Assets With $65 Billion All-Cash Offer

2. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

IIRC, the Disney deal also includes some $16B in debt assumption by Disney, so it's a $68B bid, higher than Comcast's $65B. (Unless Comcast is also assuming that debt, which I don't see spelled out here.)

Comcast's bid is all cash, though, as opposed to stock.

3. ethanwa79 macrumors regular

I'd take Disney stock over Comcast cash any day of the week if I was on the Board. Could be SO much more valuable even in just the short-term future.

4. ravision macrumors newbie

Go AWAY Comcast! We want Disney to own Fox for the sake of superheroes.

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

And yet they tell me I should feel bad about movie piracy...

6. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

7. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

Wow all cash.. I see why I’m paying so much for cable and internet.. geez!!

8. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

I'd take the $65B. That's guaranteed. Disney's stock value is subject to market fluctuations. I mean if they believed in Disney that much, they could hypothetically take $55B of the $65B and come out the even better. I jest of course. $65B is hard cash. Disney's offer could eventually be worth more or it could eventually be worth less.

9. ipponrg macrumors 6502a

But you have to remember that it's not just stock value. I believe this also guarantees a board seat. Being on the Disney board is something I think Rupert Murdoch would want.

10. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

and Star Wars! Now maybe we can get the unadulterated version of the Original Trilogy in high definition.

11. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Doesn't this also include all of Fox's television series... American Dad, Family Guy, Orville, Seth MacFarlane's soul, etc? Oh, and Simpsons.

Those are each worth more than everything else anyone else has mentioned that Fox owns. Except maybe Star Wars.

Although... I wonder if this would restrict Seth's ability to satirize Disney and/or Star Wars, if Disney bought it?

12. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

The stock deal is wayyyyy more lucrative than the cash deal.

13. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I personally want Disney to win, but that is just because I would like to see a future Avengers movie with the x-men in it.

14. elvisimprsntr macrumors 6502

The cost of the acquisition will ultimately be passed on to consumers in the form of higher access fees and subscription prices. I am so glad I excommunicated Crapca$t from my home and use an OTA antenna and HDHomeRun tuner. I can watch and read it all from the sidelines.

15. SteveW928 macrumors 65816

SteveW928

Yeah, apparently they can't afford to build out or upgrade their network infrastructure because they are too poor.

16. joueboy macrumors 65816

Well it turned out that’s not the case. I’m sure he gets a big chunk on that 65B which he is more interested than being in the board seat of Disney.

17. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

18. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

How are you calculating way more lucrative?

19. computersteve macrumors newbie

computersteve

Things like this make me really dislike America... I really do hope that Disney does loose the assets. You think I want to pay for another streaming service from Disney when these mofo's are arguing over 65 billion & I ain't got 65 cents lol.

20. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

I just want Disney to get the rights back to Marvel and Starwars. Comcast can have the rest. I want the X-men in the Avengers-verse and maybe an original trilogy set.

21. Junior117 macrumors regular

I'm not the side that wants Comcast to go away. Mainly because I'm on the side that wants Marvel's movie IP rights for Deadpool, Fantastic Four, Mutants, and X-Men (and whatever else 21CF owns from Marvel) back to Marvel. I understand very few people care, so this is just selfish on my end, but anyway.

22. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

That's why I think Disney is going to up their offer. They have so much invested in Star Wars right now, and would benefit from owning the original three movies. Then again, if they can find a way to get the movies without buying Fox, they might go that route.

23. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

I want Disney to win so I can see X-Men with Mickey Mouse in it. Forgive me. Just had to.

24. SupaDav03 macrumors member

25. macrooster, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018

macrooster Suspended

And you’re opinion is based off what industry knowledge?