Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
Thats similar to a browsing history. Once you have picked all your favorites which probably isn't that much, you can quickly navigate to a particular ch, not step backwards to the left on the Samsung screen to go though your recent history. IMHO at first it seem like X1 might be easier to still use, now it looks like I could easily use the app in its place. Now the question is do I even need a DVR X1 still, or is the 20 hour DVR also cloud based?
The X1 DVRs are cloud based

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Still can’t get rid of my Roku (conflicts with my ATV on our Sony) as it handles music streaming over Apple's Airplay2 far better than any Apple device. So typical in a company full of silo'd product marketing types whose entire world of computing is limited to an iPhone.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I happily kicked Xfinity to the curb a few years back.
But I'm confused by why an Xfinity subscriber would also want this app. Better UI?
For those of us who don’t use Xfinity's set top box. Their entry to the condo is where it was easiest to obtain access. Nowhere near where our TV's are.

tmmacops

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2019
Finally got mine working. I needed to re-activate my modem using the new XFinity App and it works. So far so good. If it does what I think it will, I’ll return some of the X1 boxes and replace with Apple TV devices.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
The app is crazy. Have to go from channel to channel. Can’t get to search without going all the way to the top of the channel lineup.

tmmacops

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2019
The app is crazy. Have to go from channel to channel. Can’t get to search without going all the way to the top of the channel lineup.
Agree. I hope they add the ability to just punch in the channel #. And to go to “last channel or similar. I don’t think using Siri is the best way. If there is a way to do this I can’t find it…

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
You’re asking for the full functionality of the box for which Comcast charges a monthly rental. Why would you expect that they would give it to you for free. This app is a free Beta release. Don’t expect full functionality until they introduce some sort of subscription model to make up the lost income from people returning those extra boxes.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
Agree. I hope they add the ability to just punch in the channel #. And to go to “last channel or similar. I don’t think using Siri is the best way. If there is a way to do this I can’t find it…
You can’t punch in a channel number when the remote has no numbers. That’s a constant with all streaming services. Siri had no one what I was saying.
Every version of the app is different. Normally, you can search by name or channel number.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
You’re asking for the full functionality of the box for which Comcast charges a monthly rental. Why would you expect that they would give it to you for free. This app is a free Beta release. Don’t expect full functionality until they introduce some sort of subscription model to make up the lost income from people returning those extra boxes.
I’m asking for a search feature like the other apps have.
You need a see the app on Roku or Fire TV.
Only recently has there been a fee to my account for cable box rental, but long enough for them to increase it.
They get their money one way or another.

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
Only recently has there been a fee to my account for cable box rental, but long enough for them to increase it.
Bad news, the App on the Apple TV is going to be the app everywhere soon

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
I agree. They will get their money. I’ve used this app on Rokus for a couple of years now. I have them on guest room TVs that don’t see much use. It offers nowhere near the functionality of the Comcast box. I’m pretty sure this is by design. My bedroom and living room TVs still use the Comcast box. I also have Apple TV’s connected to them. I downloaded the app and played with it for a couple of weeks. Not impressed.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
Bad news, the App on the Apple TV is going to be the app everywhere soon
I have the app for Android, iPad OS, Roku, Fire TV, and now ATV.
They are all a little different.
In checking my account, it is $70 in fees.
I keep cable for OTA channels no one else has or will cost too much for what I want. Cutting the cord would save me a small amount is money.
Here is a screenshot from my iPad logged into Xfinity Stream on Google Chrome. Notice the find feature, which I opened:
Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 2.13.32 PM.png

Last edited:

philbake1

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2017
I first reported this news in Xfinity Stream app for Apple TV available

I laughed at "Made with love in Philadelphia"

Like all internet traffic on Comcast/Xfinity, it all goes against your data cap unlike the cable modem box receiving TV channels.
I’m told by Comcast that as long as your ISP is Xfinity, and you’re on your home Internet, any traffic from the Xfinity Stream App does not count against your data cap. I believe it because I watch a considerable amount of programming on local channels through the app and it doesn’t add to my data usage. I also notice that the App doesn’t pass DD 5.1 audio. Only PCM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.