Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpoop

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2017
I get where you are coming from but all my friends have androids, have different model phones and they all have the same screen.

Apple is going to apple and android is going to android.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I won't argue with that.

I just wonder why anyone bothers with wallpaper. You can't see it behind the wall of icons that 'everything you have under one place' presents.

Or maybe I'm looking at that wrong and the wall of icons IS the wallpaper people want.

My most used icons are on the main page. I enjoy seeing my wallpaper

Untitled by Rick Norman, on Flickr

Reactions: eyoungren

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Customizability is in the eye of the beholder as far as some like it and some could care less. I use both platforms being android and iphone. I don't tout one over the other since I don't care what someone else uses. But when I grow tired of the ridgidity of my iPhone's home screen I go back to my android simply because I can. While there I get my customizations fix and I find myself staying on android longer and longer. It's also nice having a backup device in case one craps out.
Since phones are generally considered a tool to facilitate communicating it matters not which one we use because they both work well in 2018. Apple lets me change my homescreen wallpaper and that's about it for customizations. Not much there. I was hoping the "X" might relax it a bit. There's a reason more people are using android OS. They like to put what they use where they want.
I have an older lady friend who just got her first smart phone, an iPhone 8. I'm showing her the different things she can do with it and how it can be set up to help her in her daily routine. She is the perfect customer for an iPhone simply because it is less complicated for someone who is just brand new into smartphones. She's learning well, but when she eyes my pixel2 and sees my homescreen setup she wants to be able to set hers up like that LOL. She has a pic of her grandkids that is totally blocked by icons. I said you can put all this stuff on another screen and then this one will be clear. Another swipe step. Shouldn't have to be that way. Apple's not lacking for customers or cash profits either so doubtful they will ease up their restrictions any time soon.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I enjoy seeing my wallpaper
As do I.

2018-02-11 11.14.46.png

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I care about function and not what the icons look like or how they are organized. This isn't a work of art but a portable computer. I'd be happy if Apple spent 0 on screen redsign

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Most android home screens iv seen just have the time front and centre, why? The time is on the phone already in the top right, why do you want repeated information on the same screen

#android-in-a nutshell

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Most android home screens iv seen just have the time front and centre, why? The time is on the phone already in the top right, why do you want repeated information on the same screen

#android-in-a nutshell
A lot of android users hide the top notification bar. Having a clock on screen is convenient. Can make it any size so what's not to like? Also depending on the widget maker it will usually take the user to the clock/alarm/timer settings with a press. Not unlike the iPhone clock icon which if on screen also gives the user 2 clocks.

Lilok

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2017
Austria
Well, although I never cared much about wallpapers, I always liked the iPhone homescreen in the past.

It's true, most android homescreens are a clusterd mess, especially if the owner doesn't care or doesn't know how to change it.

Most android home screens are actually alright out of the box, but people mess them up and that's part of the reason why I still recommend the iPhone for older people etc...

But I gotta say I enjoy the android way of this implementation way, way better. Since you can customize it the way you want it to work, and since I DO care about a clean, practical home screen, I love taking advantage of the possibilities.

Launcher for example. The nexus stock home screen is okay, but I like the action launcher much better and since I can install it on every android device, it still gives me kind of a consistency.
Dx8nvAn.png

bZUD2UA.png
A swipe from left to right opens quick access to all apps...

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I just wonder why anyone bothers with wallpaper. You can't see it behind the wall of icons that 'everything you have under one place' presents.

How many iPhone screencaps have you seen here on MR that show the wall of icons covering up personal photos of the user and/or their family?

How many with logos or sports legends or other types of wallpaper where something in the wallpaper is meant to be the focus.

I'm sure there's a reason for covering up wallpaper like that with a wall of icons, but for me it's pointless.

...there is a solution.

If you want to view your wallpaper, without the icons covering it up, just move all the icons to the second screen (no jailbreak required):

b5fu9v.jpg

;)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
...there is a solution.

If you want to view your wallpaper, without the icons covering it up, just move all the icons to the second screen (no jailbreak required):

b5fu9v.jpg

;)
Yes, I know. :D

Been doing that myself since iOS 6.

My point with the icons is that a lot of people just seem to prefer that plastered over their wallpaper. Obviously, not everyone but just look in any of the multitude of screencap threads around here and you can see it.

2018-02-12 05.55.30.png

Reactions: R.P.G and Dino F

Spotsby

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2017
Row and rows of icons is dated. I want widgets and a scrollable doc for staters.
All Apple has to do is allow 3rd party launchers to be used, and give them access to all the necessary APIs and this would be solved.
Even if they do this though, they’ll screw it up, just like they did with 3rd party keyboards.
[doublepost=1518462418][/doublepost]
Yes, I know. :D

Been doing that myself since iOS 6.

My point with the icons is that a lot of people just seem to prefer that plastered over their wallpaper. Obviously, not everyone but just look in any of the multitude of screencap threads around here and you can see it.

View attachment 750963
For people who want an app drawyer, you could just create a folder called app drawyer and throw everything in there that you don’t need immediate access to.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Row and rows of icons is dated. I want widgets and a scrollable doc for staters.

Then go buy and Android device
[doublepost=1518463206][/doublepost]
While I don’t care for everything about iOS, I am satisfied overall, in it meeting my needs and wants with its integrated
Ecosystem. The arrangement of icons is not even on my list of importance.

The iPhone is a tool that works very well for me. I don’t need, nor do I have any desire for it to be a fashion icon.

God This is why it made it so hard for me to go back to Android with the Note 8. I have a MacBook Pro , Apple TV, recently bought apple watch at the time and an iPad Pro 10.5

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Allowing you to move the icons anywhere you wish would make a huge functional improvement.

I would agree with this. I really like my clean home screen, but being that I pull my phone from my left pocket, it would be much nicer to stack those four folders upwards from the bottom left corner:

39518254304_2374586cb6_c.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
For people who want an app drawyer, you could just create a folder called app drawyer and throw everything in there that you don’t need immediate access to.
That's what that single folder in my dock is. :)

Only I use it for apps that I want to be able to access on any springboard page.

2018-02-12 13.01.27.png

DMWARP

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2017
I won't argue with that.

Or maybe I'm looking at that wrong and the wall of icons IS the wallpaper people want.

I hang photos on my wallpapered walls.

Reactions: eyoungren

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
I would agree with this. I really like my clean home screen, but being that I pull my phone from my left pocket, it would be much nicer to stack those four folders upwards from the bottom left corner:

39518254304_2374586cb6_c.jpg
Yes, it's the lack of this simple option that has always annoyed me. Some are happy as is, fine then but some would like to move icons where they would like. I'd perfer a vertical stack on the left also. Or put one in each corner of the screen. Ahhh, Apple knows best, my bad.
FWIW, there is an app that allows you to take a screenshot and then add blank icons that make it look like empty space. It's kind of cool actually and works best if your ok leaving your home screen alone after setting it up. Obviously everytime you'd change your wallpaper it would need to be reconfigured. so not practical for frequent wallpaper changes.

Last edited:

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Yes, it's the lack of this simple option that has always annoyed me. Some are happy as is, fine then but some would like to move icons where they would like. I'd perfer a vertical stack on the left also. Or put one in each corner of the screen. Ahhh, Apple knows best, my bad.
FWIW, there is an app that allows you to take a screenshot and then add blank icons that make it look like empty space. It's kind of cool actually and works best if your ok leaving your home screen alone after setting it up. Obviously everytime you'd change your wallpaper it would need to be reconfigured. so not practical for frequent wallpaper changes.

what app is that? would work well for me

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
I love the current homescreen design. It realy tells you everything you have under one place.

Good Lord, one of my co-wrokers handed me a Galaxy S5 and I was scrolling thru widget after widget (I call them distractions), just to find the dang blasted app he just installed that I needed to configure for a SIP extension. I accidentally closed the app, and had such a hard time finding the app again. App drawers, pages and pages of widgets and search bars:eek:. I needed to pick up my X just to get back to normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.