Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
the samsung phones also require you to wake the phone up before using the fingerprint scanner dont they?

no my iphone doesnt. its all one movement. with the samsung you have to hit the power button then scan your finger

No you don't, it works exactly like the iPhone, you press down the home button and it reads your print which unlocks the phone.

This is how the fingerprint scanner on Samsung phones has worked since the S6 released.

Reactions: ABC5S

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
When was the last time you used touchwiz? You can change it now in the theme store. Personally I don't like the white that Apple use but each to their own. That is why on my iPhone 6 I changed it to a darker colour.

I don't use touchwiz on Samsung much because I use Nova Prime.

I don't think I ever used a default skin in Android. Maybe the original Droid. Whether it be a Moto, HTC, or Sammy phone. Nova/Apex are the way to go.

BTW in my critique earlier I give pluses and minuses to Android and iOS as fair as I know how. Knowing fully that most will disagree with my assessment of Safari. We should all feel fortunate that the two systems are at war for market share and we the customers are the beneficiaries.

Last edited:

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
well what a difference a day makes! Today I'm actually thinking of returning the 6s+ in favour of keeping my Note 4, or maybe getting a Nexus in the near future?
iPhone has a lot going for it as outlined in my posts in this thread.

So Why the change of mind?

The simple answer is quite simply the following reasons:

- sharing from app to app is so much easier on Android. Sure, ios8/9 has Shareable extensions but nowhere near as good as iPhone.
- Notifications bar is head and shoulders above the rest in Android.
- Google Now - it just works in Android. Its a half assed implementation in iOS - Google are not to blame here though. Blame Apple's closed down system restricting Google.
- Samsung screen is brilliant. So is Apple's in a different way really. But I've gotten used to the bright colours of a Samsung screen !
- I use certain media and sports streaming , ahem, services :) on the Android, and as far as I know, unless you jailbreak, you can't easily get similar on iOS :(

But above all...
THE PRICE!!!! £700 for a phone! as much as I try and justify it to myself... i can't! I can buy a decent spec Nexus (or keep my Note 4) and have change left over to buy much needed DIY items for the house LOL

So, sorry guys . I know its probably the wrong sort of post to put in an iOS biased forum, but as it stands, the iPhone is going back by the end of the week. I'm just waiting for the Note 4 to come back from repair, hopefully tomorrow!

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
well what a difference a day makes! Today I'm actually thinking of returning the 6s+ in favour of keeping my Note 4, or maybe getting a Nexus in the near future?

- sharing from app to app is so much easier on Android. Sure, ios8/9 has Shareable extensions but nowhere near as good as iPhone.
- Google Now - it just works in Android. Its a half assed implementation in iOS - Google are not to blame here though. Blame Apple's closed down system restricting Google.
- Samsung screen is brilliant. So is Apple's in a different way really. But I've gotten used to the bright colours of a Samsung screen !
- I use certain media and sports streaming , ahem, services :) on the Android, and as far as I know, unless you jailbreak, you can't easily get similar on iOS :(

But above all...
THE PRICE!!!! £700 for a phone! as much as I try and justify it to myself... i can't! I can buy a decent spec Nexus (or keep my Note 4) and have change left over to buy much needed DIY items for the house LOL

So, sorry guys . I know its probably the wrong sort of post to put in an iOS biased forum, but as it stands, the iPhone is going back by the end of the week. I'm just waiting for the Note 4 to come back from repair, hopefully tomorrow!

i completely understand your reasons, to be fair.
especially the sport streaming! ;)
i don't know what i'll do now when going back to the "bubble".
i managed to enjoy HD Tennis streamings for free.
i hope someone will come up with an app!
(although i'm quite pessimistic)..

Reactions: unclejamaal

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom

But above all...

Welcome back. ;)

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
I'm just waiting for the Note 4 to come back from repair, hopefully tomorrow!

One of the big reasons people choose Apple. If your iPhone needed repair you can just go to the Apple store and have it back probably the same day. With other manufactures you have to send it in, which can be a nightmare. But your reasons for going back are fair.

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014

But above all...

That is one thing I do miss. I use certain streaming "services" as well. Plus torrent apps that I know iOS will never allow. But i do have a google tablet which helps some.

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
One of the big reasons people choose Apple. If your iPhone needed repair you can just go to the Apple store and have it back probably the same day. With other manufactures you have to send it in, which can be a nightmare. But your reasons for going back are fair.

Indeed. I even mentioned this as a big plus in favour of Apple in this thread earlier.

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
After using my 6s for a few days I can't believe how much better it is that my galaxy s5. Keyboard is better, fingerprint scanner is like night and day, speaker sound, etc.. iOS is so much smoother and battery life is practically the same. Seeing as the Samsung has over 1000mah more battery life, I am amazed that Apple can get so much out of a small battery. Love 3D Touch too.

tommysm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2013
I actually came from the Galaxy s6 edge plus, and the finger print reader was OK, however if my finger wasn't accessible, I would have to put in a stupid all word password, which was extremely inconvenient. So much easier to just put in numbers

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
After using my 6s for a few days I can't believe how much better it is that my galaxy s5. Keyboard is better, fingerprint scanner is like night and day, speaker sound, etc.. iOS is so much smoother and battery life is practically the same. Seeing as the Samsung has over 1000mah more battery life, I am amazed that Apple can get so much out of a small battery. Love 3D Touch too.

You do realise the Samsung Galaxy S5 came out in April 11, 2014....?

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
You do realise the Samsung Galaxy S5 came out in April 11, 2014....?

Yup, that was my last phone I came from. I also had a play with my friends iPhone 5s and found that to be a better experience than my Samsung. Can't believe I stayed away from iPhone for so long (sound like a fanboy now).

Am keeping my android tablet though as I like to stay update with the android Eco system and there are things I can do on android that is restricted on iOS.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Yup, that was my last phone I came from. I also had a play with my friends iPhone 5s and found that to be a better experience than my Samsung. Can't believe I stayed away from iPhone for so long (sound like a fanboy now).

Am keeping my android tablet though as I like to stay update with the android Eco system and there are things I can do on android that is restricted on iOS.

I'm just saying, you shouldn't be too surprised how much better your new phone is compared to an 18 month old phone, Android or Apple.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
In other words, one should compare the 6S with a S6 and not some older devise ;)

he also said :
I also had a play with my friends iPhone 5s and found that to be a better experience than my Samsung

so i believe that settles it.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Believe it or not I'm not talking about you comparing the S5 to the 6S. ;)

i didn't talk about myself!
yes he said that he tried the 6s, but he ALSO said HE tried the 5s and preferred it....

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
i didn't talk about myself!
yes he said that he tried the 6s, but he ALSO said HE tried the 5s and preferred it....

You've completely missed the point lol. Comparing the S5 to the 6S is not a fair comparison, the fact he compared the S5 to the 5S in the past is irrelevant.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
You've completely missed the point lol. Comparing the S5 to the 6S is not a fair comparison, the fact he compared the S5 to the 5S in the past is irrelevant.

why is that? he said he didn't try it before and he had a better experience when trying both.

and why are we wasting so much time on this??? let's move on :p

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Another iPhone negative (sorry)..

Downloading radio and tv shows from bbc I player app. If phone screen goes to sleep the download pauses. On android it continues until it completes. This is a feature I use a lot to download shows and watch outside of wifi range later. Aside from changing screen settings to never sleep is there a way to keep the download continuing? Very annoying and unbelievably almost a show stopper for me.

Still angling towards returning the iPhone by the end of the week.

Looking at the new nexus range lol

Reactions: UltraInstinct

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Note 3 and Note 4, finally switched to the iPhone 6s Plus. Why did I switch? Lag, having to clear my app and partition cache on a regular basis to even remotely have a smooth experience. Bluetooth stutter/skipping while streaming music to head units in cars. Lastly.... ram management even with all the RAM these Samsung phones have this is still an issue. I've seen reviews that the Note 5 still has this issue and probably the others that I've listed too. I know it has the Bluetooth stutter/skipping as a co-workers that purchased one confirmed that.

Overall I am very happy with the switch... I really like the iPhone 6s Plus experience thus far... enjoy it much more even without the ability to do all the customization.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Note 3 and Note 4, finally switched to the iPhone 6s Plus. Why did I switch? Lag, having to clear my app and partition cache on a regular basis to even remotely have a smooth experience. Bluetooth stutter/skipping while streaming music to head units in cars. Lastly.... ram management even with all the RAM these Samsung phones have this is still an issue. I've seen reviews that the Note 5 still has this issue and probably the others that I've listed too. I know it has the Bluetooth stutter/skipping as a co-workers that purchased one confirmed that.

Overall I am very happy with the switch... I really like the iPhone 6s Plus experience thus far... enjoy it much more even without the ability to do all the customization.

I'm the opposite with the Bluetooth music. My iPhone just stops playing music at the beginning of a song. It happens when using Apple Music, Spotify and Google music. I thought it was because I was jailbroken but it is the same on my 6s and also on both our cars. On any of my other phones it never happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.