Coming Back To Mac. How Much Money Should I Sell My PC Components

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gregpod9, Aug 24, 2013.

1. gregpod9 macrumors regular

I finally decided to go to Mac again from switching to a self-built Windows Gaming PC a couple of months ago. I enjoyed using Macs before making the switch to PC. Today, I just ordered the MBA 13"/i5/8/256. The reason why I went back to Mac is that the gaming PC that I built has at least dozen freezes a day, lost interest in pc gaming, and the famous unrecognized USB device popups eventhough all devices work (motherboad issue, the manufacturer said that it would take at least 8 weeks for replacement). I will be selling a couple of components and I would like to know what are good prices to sell them.
    1. EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature 2 2GB GPU
    2. i5 3570k
    3. 16 GB Crucial (small profile version)
    4. Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler
    5. 512 GB Samsumg SSD 840 Pro
    6. Asus 21.5" IPS LED Monitor

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You built the computer and you can't solve its own issues? Dude, that is the simplest thing possible. Especially DIY PCs

At any rate, want a nice price range for your components? eBay. Easiest way possible.

3. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

That's a nice SSD! You might want to hold onto that one to put in the new Mac.

4. simsaladimbamba

Get a Gigabyte motherboard and make a Hackintosh. As for the components, GPU for 250 to 330 €, CPU for 150 €, RAM for 75 €, cooler for 70 €, SSD for 300 €. I do not know about the monitor though, as there are many models.

5. gregpod9 thread starter macrumors regular

I wrote in my message that its a motherboard issue thats causing the issues and the manufacturer said to me that it can take at least 8 weeks for a replacement and in my area its hard to find a motherboard that supports the ivy bridge intel cpu.

I bought a MBP when Snow Leopard was out and sold it a couple months ago. I really enjoyed using the Mac, but my biggest mistake was switching over to Windows. With my experience with Windows 7 and Windows 8, I had many issues that occurred several times a day that made work, surfing the internet, and playing games unbearable. Also I mentioned I lost interest in PC gaming.

----------

I ordered a MBA and there is no way I can replace the SSD in it. The only option that I can think is having a external enclosure.

6. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Well if it doesn't sell, it would make a very nice secondary external, especially with the USB3 of the MBA.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I would advice against getting rid of it. Fix it instead. You never know when that extra computer will come in handy. Besides, it being a gaming PC, it will very likely last you a longer time since the components are much higher end, thus it'll more likely endure the passage of new technology.

8. joshdammit macrumors 6502

People like this are why I don't miss dealing with PC power-users any longer.

"Oh, you mean to tell me you don't know how to ______? Really? Seriously? REALLY??? Wow... just... just... wow. Just wow."

Out of touch with the reality of their common man, they assume that because a problem is "the simplest thing possible" to them, that everybody else should know what they know. Interestingly, these are the same kind of people who will tell you "GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND" (or eBay, in this case) if you ask them to share some of their "simple" knowledge with you.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

People like this is why we have useless thread (this one is not as OP is inquiring sales and he knows what's wrong with his computer).

However, OP gave us the answer, and choose the easy-expensive way out. I am giving him an advice to not sell his PC and use it as a back-up. Keep the MBA, do the whole RMA with Gigabyte and be done with it.