Coming from iPhone 4 - very dissapointed by battery life

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sbddude, Aug 19, 2011.

1. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Coming from an iphone 4, i recently picked up a used ipod touch 4th gen. I restored by iphone backup to it and kept all the same apps and settings. However i am very dissapointed by the battery life. Overall it seems poor. As a particular example, a 20-minute facetime conversation took the battery from ~65% to 30%.

Charging overnight only reaches a maximum of 96%.

Any advice? is the hardware defective or are my expectations too high?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iPod Touches just have worse batter life than their iPhone counterparts. They have the same draw for the CPU, GPU, and other parts. They only lack the GPS and cell radios. Plus, their batteries hold a smaller charge. 1200mA compared to 900 mA.

3. Gaokaos macrumors newbie

I believe the numbers aren't entirely correct but indeed the iPhone 4 has a much larger battery capacity than the iPod touch. (3.44Whr vs 5.25 Whr) Personally I would prefer a significantly fatter iPod touch with a better battery, but I guess Apple has a different feeling about that. (understandable, as bigger batteries would cost more)

4. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Used iPod = used battery

Besides the points already made about the smaller battery in the Touch, batteries degrade over time. You might try one of the battery apps to "exercise" some life back into it.

Good luck.

5. jonrando macrumors 6502a

My battery life is superb. I can usually get a few days out of it with moderate to heavy usage. I don't use FaceTime so I can't compare my usage to yours, but overall, my battery life is good. I bought it new so it could be why.

As someone else said, a used iPod = a used battery and it's likely your battery could be on its way out. If the iPod still has warranty left, check with Apple and get a bettery replacement. As long as it's in warranty, they'll do it for you.

6. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I've always had suckish battery life, and I'm contemplating picking up the fifth-generation.

7. BrHop156 macrumors member

BrHop156

Yeah, the battery life has never ever been good

8. jonrando macrumors 6502a

I must be lucky then. I get a few days out of my iPod with moderate usage.

9. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

iPhones are built for phone conversations and whatnot, they have a better battery life and all that jazz that I'm not going to write about at 1:08 A.M

iPods are intended for music. Bravo. You get days from one charge if you just listen to music. But I have apps and a camera, and I use them. I charge the thing each night. It's not built to withstand that heavy duty crap.

10. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

usually battery life on the ipod touch 4 is way better after restoring thats what i did and it been lasting me a whole day

11. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

The battery may have been worn down on the touch. my itouch 4g which is 6 months older than my parents iphones, has a better battery life than them. It is possible that the prior owner ran down the battery. BTW facetime does kill battery. Try clearing your multi-tasking bar. That may help. also do a reset.
    Hope I helped :apple:

12. tyche macrumors 6502

I need to keep wifi off to stop it draining (toggle airplane mode). As long as I do that, I find my battery life is quite good. Mine also charges very fast up to 100%.

13. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

The iPod Touch is built as a mini computer so it actually is built to withstand apps, web browsing, facetime etc. if it wasn't they wouldn't have built those features in.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Don't transfer the backup files from the iPhone ... start over with the iPod.

15. krause734 macrumors 6502

krause734

If you set the data retrieval to manually fetch instead of push(constantly checking for new email, etc.) this will help with battery life as well.