Coming to Canada, this february!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billabong, Jan 23, 2008.

1. billabong macrumors 6502

I just got off the phone is Rogers and the operator told me that the iPhone should be launching with them sometime in february. While I don't completely know what to believe anymore. This is the first time Rogers has given any information about the release, so I'm kinda excited. I hope this is actually true and not some uninformed CSR. Any other Canadians out there excited too?

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I'm glad you're aware of uninformed CSRs....
    apart from that I hope you're right, its a great phone.

3. BigYellow macrumors member

I think they're overhyped and overrated. I played with one for a little while and it's cool in concept, but not all that exciting.

Plus there's still no unlimited data plans up here, and data is prohibitively expensive.

For example, Rogers charges $25/month for .5 MB and $40/month for 1MB for data for my BB Pearl... That's on top of the voice plan. Somehow i talked my way into the 1MB for $25/month but its still outrageous.

4. James L macrumors 6502a

Not that I believe anything from a CSR, but it's a pretty safe bet that if Apple was to release the iPhone here with Rogers there would be much more acceptable data pricing.

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

HEY, that's probably the same guy i spoke to before the iPhone wa slaunched, except that day he told me it would be released a couple of weeks after the US release, those guys don't know s**t (about iPhones):D but I will be sooooooo glad if this one was....

6. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

How many "I know iPhone is coming to Canada now" threads have we had on MR, do a search.

You really think a Rogers/Fido CSR would know this? Only senior management would know as is the case when Apple is working on a new product.

If Rogers CSRs started telling people that the iPhone is coming who would want to pickup a contract phone from them right now? Everyone would wait and that's not good for earnings.

I remember a few months back before 3G launched in Vancouver my phone would keep switching into 3G mode. I'd call Fido and they'd tell me that's impossible since there's no 3G network in Vancouver and nothing planned ;)

7. billabong thread starter macrumors 6502

Until we actually get the phone up here I'm sure there will be many many more.

8. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I'm currently on an iPhone with rogers using a 1gb data plan for 65$. It's not unlimited, but pretty damn close for an iPhone. This plan is new and might have been created in anticipation of the iPhone. Although I really hope they'll come up with an even cheaper on.

9. billabong thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm very tempted to just got and unlock one. But have decided to wait, but it's starting to feel like I'm waiting for something that is never going to happen. Let's hope this news is true.. :)

10. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

Why is data so expensive in Canada? :confused: Those prices are baffling to me.

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

cause its imported from France???

12. billabong thread starter macrumors 6502

Because people up here are actually willing to pay rates like that up here. There isn't as much cell competition up here, so the providers see no need to be competitive... Personally I hope that when the iPhone does finally arrive, and it will cause a major drop in data usage as Apple will not let Rogers carry the phone with rates like that.

13. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

that is probably one of the main reasons why we still don t have it I done know why rogers would want to lower the prices anyways just to get another phone in the market? I know they would probably get thousands of new contracts but maybe they alreay worked I'd out and still think they d make more if they don t and keep charging us this insane rates

14. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

We need to abolish the CRTC and allow foreign competitors into the market. Right now both Telus, Rogers, and Bell (our only providers) are quite happy raping us up the *** with their data rates, and there's 0 incentive for them to change.

15. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

It really is all about our lack of competition. A generation ago Canada used to be on the cutting edge of data distribution (anybody remember Telidon?) but now Bell and Rogers have a virtual monopoly over the entire country. Remember we've got 1/10th the population density as the USA, which means each tower site only pulls-in 1/10th the revenue, all else being equal. There are still vast areas without any cellular coverage at all. In fact it was only this month that a new cell tower was switched-on near my home; a month ago I got no cell signal at all. Now if only I could get broadband....

16. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

17. aanndrew macrumors member

1 mb for 40 dollars :| really
    i use over 70mb (on gprs too :O) a month and mine totally free and wifi is haha (uk)
    i like o2's data rule lol

18. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I just realized that I'm part of the problem. Why should Rogers consider lowering the data plan to bring iPhone up here if people like me are willing to shell out 65$ month for 1GB. Win/Win for them. They get to charge me exorbitant amounts of money, and no need to deal with Apple.

19. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

exactly,, same here. i think teh only way woud; be for a loooooooooot of people to decide to boycott it or something.. and then they d care, but i really don t see that happening..

20. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Personally, I have no idea how much data transfer I'd use on a normal basis, so it's hard to establish value. But I imagine it's like money or time: you spend what you have.

I just hope there's easy ways to determine accurate usage-to-date.

21. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

Not me. I just bought an unlocked iPhone off Ebay.

I don't regret it either since I wasn't interested in signing a 3 year contract with Rogers and paying a data plan for slow internet access. I've always been the type to buy out the phone so you have the complete freedom to do what you want in case your needs or technology changes.

If Apple offered more features via updates than appsnap, then I'd consider paying a monthly premium for that service. Right now, that's not the case.

22. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I prefer pay-as-you-go arrangements, too. I'm waiting to upgrade from a Treo to an iPhone, but will likely wait until a 3G upgrade. That way I'm not locked into a single supplier.

Of course, I may be dreaming, but I'm prepared to wait.

23. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

If every iPhone user in Canada boycotts them, it still won't matter. It's a marginal amount of money for them. So they still won't do anything about it. If we get everybody to stop using data, they will either make it cheaper, or stop serving data altogether. In short, we're screwed. I hate Roger. ;)

24. MT37 macrumors regular

MT37