Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DjWindows98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Hello everyone,

I am coming up to 1000 cycles on my 2015 MacBook Pro (my first MacBook) and I just need some advice regarding this.

Since I have had this, I have just charged it to 100% then let it get down to 5% then I would re-charge again, have I been stupid doing this, could I have left it plugged in on charge most of the day? I am now having to charge it a couple of times a day because the battery doesn't last as long, I have been advised to stop using Google Chrome as it drains the battery apparently so I am sticking to Safari.

I don't really over run it, I use Safari (Chrome before), VLC media play and Microsoft Word mostly, the screen brightness is down and I don't use the back light that often.

How is my battery doing?

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-16%20at%2018.47.56_zpsdqskbb5y.png

Could I be doing any thing else to get the most out of the battery?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

pejx72

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2017
Current-tech batteries (li-ion and li-po; your MacBook has the former I think) last longest if you keep them in the 30%-70% charge range. Fully charging them is bad. Letting them fall to 0% is worse. There is no "battery memory" so constantly keeping it in the 30%-70% range does no harm, but is obviously rather impractical!

I understand these batteries degrade over time anyway regardless of use, although they degrade faster if used, and faster still if you regularly fully charge or fully discharge.

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am coming up to 1000 cycles on my 2015 MacBook Pro (my first MacBook) and I just need some advice regarding this.

Since I have had this, I have just charged it to 100% then let it get down to 5% then I would re-charge again, have I been stupid doing this, could I have left it plugged in on charge most of the day? I am now having to charge it a couple of times a day because the battery doesn't last as long, I have been advised to stop using Google Chrome as it drains the battery apparently so I am sticking to Safari.

I don't really over run it, I use Safari (Chrome before), VLC media play and Microsoft Word mostly, the screen brightness is down and I don't use the back light that often.

How is my battery doing?

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-16%20at%2018.47.56_zpsdqskbb5y.png

Could I be doing any thing else to get the most out of the battery?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

If you had done better you would have 90%+ battery. Just get it replaced once your battery falls below 70% capacity.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
How on earth did you get so many cycles so fast? I have an early 2015 and have I think 112 cycles on it.

Just depends how much you use your computer and what you use it for. Mine has 448 and was manufactured a few months before this one.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Wow my mid 2012 MBA is at 640 and has 92% left but mine took a crap last week so now it’s no good lol. The Mac won’t stay on unless it’s connected to the charger. When it does stay on, battery life is awesome. It would either stay on or immediately shut off after disconnecting from the charger. Now it just shuts off. I did the reset that everyone recommends but didn’t do any good. Even did a fresh install of Mac OS. Still no good.

My point is, like others have mentioned, these batteries will last quite a long time if managed properly. Same applies to the iPhones. My 7+ has just over 150 counts and Coconut Battery says I still have 99.8% left.

I was doing SO good on the Mac but then the whole thing decided to quit on me.

DjWindows98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Wow my mid 2012 MBA is at 640 and has 92% left but mine took a crap last week so now it’s no good lol. The Mac won’t stay on unless it’s connected to the charger. When it does stay on, battery life is awesome. It would either stay on or immediately shut off after disconnecting from the charger. Now it just shuts off. I did the reset that everyone recommends but didn’t do any good. Even did a fresh install of Mac OS. Still no good.

My point is, like others have mentioned, these batteries will last quite a long time if managed properly. I was doing SO good on mine but then the whole thing decided to quit on me.

Any good advice tips to manage is correctly?

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Don't think you know better than the battery control software. Just use it. I leave mine plugged in at home and my 5.5 year old battery is still at 80%.

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 23.58.21.png

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Ah, you simply use it the way you want to use it.
IMHO, I don't think it's a good plan to let it always get to 5% before plugging in.
I prefer to plug in at 40 to 50% or more, if I can.
And, there is very little reason to need to always charge to 100%, particularly if you know you will be near a power outlet.
If you need to be completely portable, then unplug, otherwise you really don't have to unplug just because it is at 100%. The battery can't overcharge.
Consider using it more often while plugged in to charge --- give that battery a bit of rest, eh?
Every so often --- maybe once or twice a month, let it discharge as far as the 5%
If that means using it differently, then you would decide if you want the battery to last a bit longer --- or not.

Finally - it's just a battery, that eventually fails through use. It's a tool. Use it in the way that you need to.
If you exhaust the battery (doesn't hold a good charge like it did when new, or begins to show "failing", and you have all those charge cycles, it is just exhausted, get the battery replaced.
If you can convince Apple that the battery did not last as long as you think it should, and Apple can test it to show that it doesn't provide the performance expected, they may replace under warranty. That does happen sometimes, but Apple has to agree with your opinion..

DjWindows98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Ah, you simply use it the way you want to use it.
IMHO, I don't think it's a good plan to let it always get to 5% before plugging in.
I prefer to plug in at 40 to 50% or more, if I can.
And, there is very little reason to need to always charge to 100%, particularly if you know you will be near a power outlet.
If you need to be completely portable, then unplug, otherwise you really don't have to unplug just because it is at 100%. The battery can't overcharge.
Consider using it more often while plugged in to charge --- give that battery a bit of rest, eh?
Every so often --- maybe once or twice a month, let it discharge as far as the 5%
If that means using it differently, then you would decide if you want the battery to last a bit longer --- or not.

Finally - it's just a battery, that eventually fails through use. It's a tool. Use it in the way that you need to.
If you exhaust the battery (doesn't hold a good charge like it did when new, or begins to show "failing", and you have all those charge cycles, it is just exhausted, get the battery replaced.
If you can convince Apple that the battery did not last as long as you think it should, and Apple can test it to show that it doesn't provide the performance expected, they may replace under warranty. That does happen sometimes, but Apple has to agree with your opinion..

Thank you for the advice, I really do appreciate it, my first mac so I'm still learning!

irock101

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2011
I have the rMBP mid 2015 and I have the charger plugged in for 2+ years ( I am typing from the machine right now), as I use it either with an external screen or standalone and hardly take it anywhere, besides when I am on vacation.

My battery was swelling up some months ago, which didn't cause any issues with the Macbook but deformed the unibody case. I had the battery replaced at a local shop within an hour and the case got back to normal too. Cost me around $100 and the machine will last another 2-3 years at least.

Worst case: You will replace the battery at some point
Best case: You will buy a new Macbook before the swelling begins

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Deeper discharges = accelerated wear.

Do you have a version of AppleCare? If so, which one? (as you may be able to get a free battery in another month or two)

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thank you for the advice, I really do appreciate it, my first mac so I'm still learning!

Welcome to Mac :). Although the advice given is not Mac specific. It's Lithium-Ion battery care. It's universal no matter if it's a Mac, PC, iPhone, Android, DSLR, portable toaster, glow-in-the-dark socks with Li-ion batteries in em or whatever.
There's a Linus Tech Tips video on battery care that sums it all up in an easy to understand way, as well as an official Apple Support Document about battery care. Just Google it and you can find it :)

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I had the battery replaced at a local shop within an hour and the case got back to normal too. Cost me around $100 and the machine will last another 2-3 years at least.
I'm wondering what kind of battery they put in yours, to only charge you $100 for the battery and install. The normal cost is $99 just for the battery for my Mid 2010 13" MBP, of which I installed myself in like 10 minutes.

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
Whoa, 1000 cycles on 2015 machine? I have barely 900 on my 2011 MBA. I thought the battery health would be worse, but I guess the battery wasn't that good to begin with on 2011 MBAs.

Screen_Shot_2017-07-17_at_07.49.45.png

DjWindows98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Whoa, 1000 cycles on 2015 machine? I have barely 900 on my 2011 MBA. I thought the battery health would be worse, but I guess the battery wasn't that good to begin with on 2011 MBAs.

Screen_Shot_2017-07-17_at_07.49.45.png
I have no idea what I have done wrong, how were you able to keep your cycles down?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.