Command F

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ccf, Aug 28, 2011.

1. ccf macrumors regular

Is there a way to find multiple items with command F? If so, how do you do it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

How do you mean exactly? In what application? For what purpose?

If you are using this in Finder, you can select criteria, then on the right of the criteria you can hit the + symbol and add more criteria, so on.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you mean how to repeat the find for subsequent items, cmd-G usually works.

4. ccf thread starter macrumors regular

I should've explained further. Say you've got a list of names on a web page and want to find several people (or many). Is there a way to type in the names & find them all at once?

More specifically, I'd copy/paste names into the box & I'm hoping there's a way to find them with one click. Is that possible?

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

In Safari, when you use the Command F, the little bar that appears has arrows forward and back that will cycle through each match.

As well, once you search, it automatically highlights all matches. Scroll to the top of this page, Command+F and type command.

6. ccf thread starter macrumors regular

There's no way to find different names (or words) at once? Like by separating with a comma or something?

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

8. ccf thread starter macrumors regular

thanx

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I assume you tried typing in two or more words. What does that do?

10. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

It searches each word in sequence. If you search in sequence, it will highlight the two instances of that in this sentence. If you search sequence and in, it won't highlight anything because it can't find any instances of that particular sequence of words.