Command+Tab only apps in each individual space???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fateshand, Nov 10, 2007.

1. fateshand macrumors newbie

I think Spaces, like expose, is a wonderful productivity enhancement. However, the downside that I have found with Spaces is that using Command+tab still filters through all open applications instead of only those in each individual Space.

The reason I wish that Command+tab would only filter through the applications/windows in each individual space is because of the following:

Lets say that you have two applications/windows open in a space but at least one of the applications/windows is maximized to the full size of the monitor. If that window is the active window you will be unable to see the second window behind it. So how do you make the non-active window active?

1) you use expose to view both applications/windows and select the non-active application/window
    2) you minimize the active application/window
    3) you Command+tab through all applications/windows until you reach the inactive application/window.

Clearly, options 1 is not a good one because then you might as well just use Expose and ditch Spaces. Options two and three aren't good choices because they take too long. So what do you do?

Anyone know of a way or a program that will work with Spaces and force Command+tab to only filter through the applications in each Space?

If so, you could use ctrl+arrow keys to move between spaces and Command+tab to switch between a couple of applications/windows in each of the Spaces. Sounds like a good homework assignment to me!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you are switching between two apps, cmd-tab will switch between the last app used and the current one, before cycling through all open apps.

You can cmd-tab backwards by using shift.

edit: You can also select the "hidden" app through the Dock.

3. fateshand thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. I tried that and found that this is only a good solution if you are going to be working in one Space for some time. Because every time that you switch to a different Space you then have to tab through to the two windows in that Space in order for them to then bounce back and forth.

I know it's nit picky put Spaces could so cool (for what I'm trying to achieve) if I could find a way to do this.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I have Safari in Space 1 and Mail in Space 2. I switched Space to 2, then CMD-TAB. It swaps Spaces back to Space 1 and Safari. Cmd-tab again, and Spaces swap to 2 and Mail. The original swap to Space 2 can be done either through Spaces or cmd-tab to Mail. Once there, cmd-tab still swaps Spaces between 1 & 2, at the same time as swapping apps.

I think you might be saying if you have Safari in 1, and Mail + iTunes in 2 and swap spaces to 2, you will cmd-tab between the foreground app in 2 and Safari in 1, rather than now tabbing between Mail and iTunes. But, even if you want to be tabbing between Mail and iTunes (coming from Safari in Space 1), you'll only have to tab through to iTunes once - then you'll be able to cmd-tab between Mail and iTunes both in Space 2.

I have Expose and Spaces setup on hot-corners. Expose doesn't take the place of Spaces at all. I use them both - at the same time. First Spaces, then Expose to show all windows in all Spaces.

With hot-corners: Upper-left for Spaces. If the app I want isn't in the foreground or hidden by foreground window, I move to the upper-right corner for Expose and select the app/space. Expose is working on top of Spaces (it'll still work the same way using keyboard shortcuts). I'm now in Space 2, with the previously "hidden" app in the foreground. Of course, cmd-tab will still remember the app in Space 1 and swap between it and the one I just selected using Expose.

Just some other methods to get around - hope they help.

5. fateshand thread starter macrumors newbie

That does help and I appreciate your suggestions.

Spaces first then Expose is not a bad way of doing it but, "if there is a will there is a way." I'm gonna keep my eyes out for a way to tab through the windows in each space individually as well.

But I'll use your suggestions in the meantime.