Comments that are just quotes of an article

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
We've noticed it too, I wonder if its similar to the tapatalk bug where duplicate posts/threads are getting created.

vBulletin enforced a minimum post count so that this would not happen, sadly xen does not have such a feature - at least out of the box.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Occasionally I've seen people comment inside the quote tags, inadvertently

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Occasionally I've seen people comment inside the quote tags, inadvertently
I noticed this too, but I think the quote only posts are an issue. I agree about people typing inside the quote tags without realizing it. I often compare the quote text to the quoted post to ensure that this is not the case before deleting the post.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
We've noticed it too, I wonder if its similar to the tapatalk bug where duplicate posts/threads are getting created.

vBulletin enforced a minimum post count so that this would not happen, sadly xen does not have such a feature - at least out of the box.
It's too bad that newer and more robust forum software doesn't seem to be have some of the fairly basic features that were there in older and less robust forum software. Perhaps there are some plug-ins or mods that would allow for something like that? Seems like a fairly useful feature to have back in the forums given the ever present posts that only have quotes in them and nothing else (perhaps due to Tapatalk or something similar and/or new users not being quite sure of how replies work and/or something else).

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010

I did one of these recently, or at least I got a notification that I'd done this and my post was being deleted. I'm fairly sure I didn't try to quote the whole article, because that's annoying in itself, and I definitely typed my own response.

I was an an iPad btw, which does have glitches sometimes in the text box.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I did one of these recently, or at least I got a notification that I'd done this and my post was being deleted. I'm fairly sure I didn't try to quote the whole article, because that's annoying in itself, and I definitely typed my own response.

I was an an iPad btw, which does have glitches sometimes in the text box.
I've checked the deleted post and it was correctly deleted as it was just a quote of the full article with no response from yourself.

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
I've checked the deleted post and it was correctly deleted as it was just a quote of the full article with no response from yourself.
Not arguing, or protesting, just giving my story in case it helps explain the problem. Seems like there's a bug somewhere.