Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DomKud

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
So...I just purchased the 2018 Mac Mini with the specs below:

• 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
  • 32GB 2666MHz DDR4
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • 512GB SSD storage
  • Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet using RJ-45 connector)
Not sure if I made the right decision but I guess I will see once I receive it. For those of you who already purchased this mac: what are some common problems or things I should look out for (as I do not want to pass the return window and want to ensure my mac is worth keeping)?

inmnbob

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
Chicago and Twin Cities
Bluetooth disconnects and interference and Kernel crashes have been reported my others.

Mine also drops connections to two internet accounts but doesn’t lose the internet connection. Both Mac mini’s I had also seems like it freezes or gets jammed up occasionally but unfreezes itself in a few seconds.

All of my kernel crashes and reboots were on my first device which I returned. I have had no crashes on the new one

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
I haven't had any of the issues that's been reported so far, I'm in love with this lil damn powerhouse. But if I were you, I wouldn't necessarily go looking for issues if it's working perfectly.

DomKud

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Bluetooth disconnects and interference and Kernel crashes have been reported my others.

Mine also drops connections to two internet accounts but doesn’t lose the internet connection. Both Mac mini’s I had also seems like it freezes or gets jammed up occasionally but unfreezes itself in a few seconds.

All of my kernel crashes and reboots were on my first device which I returned. I have had no crashes on the new one

I will look out for those. Thank you!

Any others to look out for guys?
[doublepost=1543723448][/doublepost]
I haven't had any of the issues that's been reported so far, I'm in love with this lil damn powerhouse. But if I were you, I wouldn't necessarily go looking for issues if it's working perfectly.

Better to realize the issues and be within your return window than realize after your return period. I had this happen to me with multiple products before. So I would rather be prepared and do my due diligence.

Reactions: David G.

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
I’ve only had WiFi issues - but I honestly didn’t troubleshoot much since it’s always going to be plugged into an Ethernet cable. Other than that, my mini seems to be running very smoothly! I don’t use Bluetooth devices so I wouldn’t know if I had issues or not. My older MacBook Pro didn’t do Bluetooth that well so I got a wired keyboard a few years ago and never had issues.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So...I just purchased the 2018 Mac Mini with the specs below:

• 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
  • 32GB 2666MHz DDR4
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • 512GB SSD storage
  • Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet using RJ-45 connector)
Not sure if I made the right decision but I guess I will see once I receive it. For those of you who already purchased this mac: what are some common problems or things I should look out for (as I do not want to pass the return window and want to ensure my mac is worth keeping)?
Same spec accept a 2TB SSD.
No issues whatsoever.
I think you’ll be fine. Just relax and use the device. Any fault you discover will be sorted by Apple even outside of your return window.

DomKud

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Same spec accept a 2TB SSD.
No issues whatsoever.
I think you’ll be fine. Just relax and use the device. Any fault you discover will be sorted by Apple even outside of your return window.

Do you think I should have upgraded to the 1TB SSD? I was thinking 512 is not enough. Especially because these devices cant be upgradeable in the future.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Do you think I should have upgraded to the 1TB SSD? I was thinking 512 is not enough. Especially because these devices cant be upgradeable in the future.
You can always go external. My last drive was a 1 TB Fusion (iMac), so I wasn’t going to go smaller.
But I’m planning on keeping it for the next few years.

Rockies

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011
The only issue I have with the Mini currently is the eGPU situation. You have to plug monitor into Mac mini on initial startup, then login, then disconnect monitor from Mac mini and plug into eGPU. The better solution is to purchase an iMac, however I don't like glossy screens.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
The only issue I have with the Mini currently is the eGPU situation. You have to plug monitor into Mac mini on initial startup, then login, then disconnect monitor from Mac mini and plug into eGPU. The better solution is to purchase an iMac, however I don't like glossy screens.

Depending on your monitor controls, it might be simpler. See this follow-up to your post in the external GPU thread (and thanks for prompting me to test this): https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/external-gpu-egpu-resources.2154653/page-9#post-26868501

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
The only issue I have had is with Bluetooth and the Magic Mouse and Magic Keyboard freezing. Only happened a few times but I am guessing it will be sorted in the next update.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Mine won't recognize any blue tooth. Got my harman/kardon speaker working, but it quit. Won't recognize trackpad, mouse, keyboards from Apple or other manufacturers. There are only two USB inputs, currently using an old wired Apple keyboard and a very old Apple mouse. This blows, as I need to use a windows compatible mouse for when I RDP into work.

ktcifone

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2009
no issues to date.
i7/32/512
stock build and configuration.
Connection options are amazing.
transitioned from custom 2012 model reused TB2 dock for new 2nd workstation.

tedson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
I have a stock i5/88G/256GB. The only issue I had was with my original Magic Trackpad. The cursor would get jumpy if I had my iPhone within a few inches of the trackpad. If I moved it away, everything has been fine. It's very quiet. As a matter of fact the noisiest thing on my desk is my old 2011 Mac mini ( which I use as a Plex Server, Time Machine server and web server) when the secondary hard drive spins up.

Originalbitman

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2012
Mine won't recognize any blue tooth. Got my harman/kardon speaker working, but it quit. Won't recognize trackpad, mouse, keyboards from Apple or other manufacturers. There are only two USB inputs, currently using an old wired Apple keyboard and a very old Apple mouse. This blows, as I need to use a windows compatible mouse for when I RDP into work.

Did you try rebooting with USB stuff unplugged and reconnecting after the restart? That worked for me.

kamuix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
california
I have a mac mini i5, 256 gig, and upgraded to 16 gig of ram. No problems so far. I also had no issues with my peripherals as well.

Cheapassmac

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2018
No issues on mine yet, but those people who have bluetooth and wifi issues, I was wondering if you can be more specific. It would be worth reproducing by others to see if this is a design issue or just an issue with your machine.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
No issues on mine yet, but those people who have bluetooth and wifi issues, I was wondering if you can be more specific. It would be worth reproducing by others to see if this is a design issue or just an issue with your machine.

I've now had a Bluetooth/Trackpad/Keyboard issue with two minis in a row. It is highly intermittent. I can go an entire day with no, or very little, interruption, and then have a recurring problem that might last an hour or three. I'm beginning to think that it may be environmental, in the sense of being related to other electrics in the immediate area. Tomorrow, I want to try to figure out whether running my external GPU has something to do with it. Yesterday, I had the eGPU off for most of the day and had no problem. Today it was on and I've had intermittent interruptions.

I think that it is unlikely that this is machine specific, if only because it has happened with two minis in succession. My approach at this point is to see whether I can resolve this via physical placement of the computer in relation to other devices.

It would be helpful to know whether Apple recognises this as an issue and whether a firmware change could solve the problem. If not, and if I can't resolve this, the mini will go back and I'll look for an alternative. But my gut feeling at the moment is that this is about electrical interference and that I may be able to resolve the issue by removing sources of interference.

I'm not convinced that discussing this on the forum is useful. To date, there's been a lot of whingeing, but no constructive analysis, at least that I've seen.

Last edited:

Cheapassmac

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2018
I've now had a Bluetooth/Trackpad/Keyboard issue with two minis in a row. It is highly intermittent. I can go an entire day with no, or very little, interruption, and then have a recurring problem that might last an hour or three. I'm beginning to think that it may be environmental, in the sense of being related to other electrics in the immediate area. Tomorrow, I want to try to figure out whether running my external GPU has something to do with it. Yesterday, I had the eGPU off for most of the day and had no problem. Today it was on and I've had intermittent interruptions.

I think that it is unlikely that this is machine specific, if only because it has happened with two minis in succession. My approach at this point is to see whether I can resolve this via physical placement of the computer in relation to other devices.

It would be helpful to know whether Apple recognises this as an issue and whether a firmware change could solve the problem. If not, and if I can't resolve this, the mini will go back and I'll look for an alternative. Bur my gut feeling at the moment is that this is about electrical interference and that I may be able to resolve the issue by lessening that interference.

I have mine sitting on top of a breakaway box and the wifi/bluetooth works fine. I didn't open up my mac mini though, someone savvy like you probably upgraded the ram? The wire for bluetooth seems flimsy. Just throwing that out there (not saying anything one way or another).

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
I have mine sitting on top of a breakaway box and the wifi/bluetooth works fine. I didn't open up my mac mini though, someone savvy like you probably upgraded the ram? The wire for bluetooth seems flimsy. Just throwing that out there (not saying anything one way or another).

It's news to me that I'm savvy :) In any event, I haven't changed out the RAM yet and the mini hasn't seen the tip of a screwdriver. But there's definitely an issue. I just have to figure out where it's coming from.

Cheapassmac

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2018
It's news to me that I'm savvy :) In any event, I haven't changed out the RAM yet and the mini hasn't seen the tip of a screwdriver. But there's definitely an issue. I just have to figure out where it's coming from.
I would be very interested in finding out the situation (outside of being defective). Hope you keep us posted.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
I would be very interested in finding out the situation (outside of being defective). Hope you keep us posted.

On the face of it, it isn't obvious to me that this is a machine-specific "defect", especially when it has happened twice in a row with computers that were made at least three weeks apart, and after there had been a fair bit of discussion, presumably known to Apple, about the issue. I'm looking for a more plausible reason, preferably one that I can fix. Will update if I figure it out.
[doublepost=1543983243][/doublepost]

You just made me realise something. I was planning to change out the RAM in the next couple of days, but I won't be doing it now until I've resolved this, either by finding a fix or returning the computer.

Thanks, hadn't thought that through.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.