Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PabloGS

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Europe
Hey guys... I'm currently in the process of moving from my 15" Late 2008 MacBook Pro to a new 13" Late 2016 MacBook Pro. Right now I have a 1TB SSD in the Late 2008 and will only have a 256GB SSD in the new 13". Since it is a non touch bar I hope I'll eventually be able to upgrade it if OWC brings out something, but I don't count on that. So I'll remove the SSD from the Late 2008 to use it in an external enclosure.

I've been looking and looking and finally found this enclosure:
http://www.macway.com/fr/product/31...e-grey-boitier-disque-dur-25-7-mm-usb-31.html

The neat thing is: It is for 7mm drives, so the SSD will fit perfectly and it'll be as slim as it can get. Also, the enclosure seems to have a USB 3.1 10 Gbps controller, so it should be fast.

Since I can't find any re-brandings on other markets I am considering ordering it from France for 35€.
Any experiences with the Storeva Arrow Type C or good alternatives? The reviews on the site are favourable, but I'd like to hear about it from some Mac Rumors veterans.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hey guys... I'm currently in the process of moving from my 15" Late 2008 MacBook Pro to a new 13" Late 2016 MacBook Pro. Right now I have a 1TB SSD in the Late 2008 and will only have a 256GB SSD in the new 13". Since it is a non touch bar I hope I'll eventually be able to upgrade it if OWC brings out something, but I don't count on that. So I'll remove the SSD from the Late 2008 to use it in an external enclosure.

I've been looking and looking and finally found this enclosure:
http://www.macway.com/fr/product/31...e-grey-boitier-disque-dur-25-7-mm-usb-31.html

The neat thing is: It is for 7mm drives, so the SSD will fit perfectly and it'll be as slim as it can get. Also, the enclosure seems to have a USB 3.1 10 Gbps controller, so it should be fast.

Since I can't find any re-brandings on other markets I am considering ordering it from France for 35€.
Any experiences with the Storeva Arrow Type C or good alternatives? The reviews on the site are favourable, but I'd like to hear about it from some Mac Rumors veterans.

You won't see 10gbps speeds since your limited by the SATA bus and not the USB bus. So yes this will remove the 5gbps barrier but no SSD with SATA is capable of 10gbs.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Also, the enclosure seems to have a USB 3.1 10 Gbps controller, so it should be fast.

I don't think it does. It looks like they are playing fast and loose with the specs there. It brags about 400MBps and that is what about any USB3 enclosure will get you. Like pyrodex said, you will be limited by the SATA interface anyway.

I'm using this enclosure with a Samsung SSD and get around 400MBps attached to my 2016 13" MacBook.

Scary Spice

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2015
British Columbia
Anybody seen an enclosure that takes 2 SSD's in a RAID so it breaks though the SATA bottleneck?

Either USB-C 3.1 or TB3 would be great!

Last edited:

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Anybody seen an enclosure that takes 2 SSD's in a RAID so it breaks though the SATA bottleneck?

USB-C 3.1 or TB3 would be great!

I bought a https://www.glyphtech.com/product/atom-raid-ssd (1TB model) and here is what I am seeing...

Screenshot 2017-01-03 08.18.59.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.