Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
Wow, a new power adapter! I'd have liked an iMac updade, but this is good too :rolleyes: ;)

Neb154

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2006
I ordered my MBP on the 17th, but it won't ship for about another week. Any idea if I will get the new power adapter?

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
Pretty cool stuff. I've got to say, it always kind of surprises me that Apple doesn't get more praise for their power adapters. Apple just seems to be light years ahead of the competition when it comes to power adapters; my Sony Vaio came with a fairly bulky power adapter with big thick cords (with some velcro strips to tie them up) and it was always a tangled mess and a pain in the ass to carry around. It's like, hey, great Sony, you make a really slick thin 3.7 pounds SZ laptop, but you have this ugly unwieldy brick to go along with it.

By comparison, I just love how the MB and MBP power adapters are so compact, have the prongs built into the brick itself, and have fold-out wings to wrap the comparitively thin cable around.

It seems like such a small thing, but when you do think of it as an important part of what you carry with you when you have a laptop, it really amazes me that other companies don't seem to try and follow Apple on this front.

-Zadillo

While I do agree the size of their adapters are quite impressive I've had 2 burn on out me. I won't buy any extra Apple adapters - I bought one from Kingston that's much thinner (taller, but thinner) and that works exceptionally well when putting it in my case. it also came with an airplane and car adapter and an iPod adapter. I hate to admit it but Apple not allowing other companies to make MagSafe adapters is actually a reason I'm holding off on buying one.

johnpaul191

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Philadelphia PA
Yes they do, i think even the iBook G4 had those :D

all the white brick power adapters have those ears. i have one with my old 12inch G3 ibook 500MHz (the original "icebook/chicklet" ibook).

the older yo-yo power adapters were made to spool up the wire, so they carried the idea of cable control to the revised design. that's why people referred to those models as yo-yo and not UFO or something.

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
That looks identical to the one I got with my MBP last week. I was wondering what thos two things were that lifetd up, the picture shows you wrap the cord around them when traveling or storing.

Edit: It's not the new one, I read the article refereced above and mine is the old model number.

That's exactly what it is, a neat kind of wire management, and as far as I know, the only poweradapter to do so (except for the round retractable ones Apple shipped in the past )

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
all the white brick power adapters have those ears. i have one with my old 12inch G3 ibook 500MHz (the original "icebook/chicklet" ibook).

the older yo-yo power adapters were made to spool up the wire, so they carried the idea of cable control to the revised design. that's why people referred to those models as yo-yo and not UFO or something.

Haha...I always wondered what those things on my 800 MHz iBook G3's power adaptor were for... I thought they stood the adaptor up on the desk.:eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
That's exactly what it is, a neat kind of wire management, and as far as I know, the only poweradapter to do so (except for the round retractable ones Apple shipped in the past )

I love it when things have little nice touches likes this! And I've made extensive use of mine. Even when the ugly bricks like the one from my old Nokia phone come with a little velcro strap on the cable to be able to bundle up the cable, I think it's a nice touch for travelers. :)

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
...dang. Why Apple? Why must you make things smaller mid-cycle? You make me feel so inadequate. Just sorta kidding, I'll have to buy that though, reduce the space in my bag.

I heard that. I got the Incase Sling Pack and I love it, but the amount of stuff I keep in it does bulk it out especially considering the size of the power brick. I might need to pull the trigger on this smaller brick myself.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I have a MBP and my girlfriend has a MP. I often use her adaptor because mine is stored in my briefcase. No problems so far...

This a good way to wreck your adaptor. It will work for a window of time, but over a few months it will ultimately be too much draw and bust.

Written from a guy who has done this two times now...

The better call is to go with the 85 watt one for both computers. It won't over-charge the MB, and the MBP wont wreck it. (Checked with a genius when purchasing replacement #3)

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
wonder why the MBP adapter got so large in the first place. Seems to me to be a bit of a wast of someone's time and resources to redesign the adapter and make it smaller (i.e. the same size as a PB's).

The little retractable arms on my old PB adapter broke off.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
I'm glad these came out before I purchased an additional power supply for my MBP.
I've been thinking about an extra one to either leave plugged at my desk at home or throw in my bag.
I think it's a welcome change - as long as they perform well and don't burst and burn.

rosh325

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
In the ether
Here's my stupid question of the day:

I bought the SR 2.2 when it first came out, is there anyway to trade in my bulky power adaptor for this one? Seems logical that they should, seeing how they've upgraded the standard mid release

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Ahem, am I overlooking something? The only thing that indicates that the 85 W adapter has shrunk in size is a single jpeg in the U.S. store only? (Well, plus Engadget's claim which seems to be based on that jpeg.)

Without any further evidence, eg, a statement by Apple, some size specifications on an Apple site, or the appearance of the same jpeg on other international stores I wouldn't put much faith into this.

(Or am I simply not getting the joke?)

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Ahem, am I overlooking something? The only thing that indicates that the 85 W adapter has shrunk in size is a single jpeg in the U.S. store only? (Well, plus Engadget's claim which seems to be based on that jpeg.)

Without any further evidence, eg, a statement by Apple, some size specifications on an Apple site, or the appearance of the same jpeg on other international stores I wouldn't put much faith into this.

Why not? It's obviously real.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004

Someone in here has already received one of the new ones. End of story. :p

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
While I do agree the size of their adapters are quite impressive I've had 2 burn on out me. I won't buy any extra Apple adapters - I bought one from Kingston that's much thinner (taller, but thinner) and that works exceptionally well when putting it in my case. it also came with an airplane and car adapter and an iPod adapter. I hate to admit it but Apple not allowing other companies to make MagSafe adapters is actually a reason I'm holding off on buying one.

Heh, I'm sort of in the opposite boat as you. I'd bought one of those Kensington adapters (I assume you mean Kensington, I didn't think Kingston made them too) for my Vaio, and it burns out on me...... plus I found it to be a pretty big hassle too; I like the thinness of the adapter itself, but it still had the same problem of every other adapter I've used, with thick cords that get easily tangled up. I just wish other companies could figure this stuff out. I'd still take an Apple adapter over another Kensington adapter any day of the week.

-Zadillo

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
Here's my stupid question of the day:

I bought the SR 2.2 when it first came out, is there anyway to trade in my bulky power adaptor for this one? Seems logical that they should, seeing how they've upgraded the standard mid release

Why would they? You got what you purchased and therefor there's no reason for them to give you something else?

If you purchase a car and the car manufacturer decides to offer an additional colour a few months later, would you get a new car with the new colour?

Or if they decide to replace the steering wheel with another one that looks better, would you get that one for free?

You should have read your own first line a few times more before actually clicking save ;)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I wasn't aware this was possible. So it won't do any harm to the MB's? And can you use the MB's adaptor for the MBP?

Any power supply will just supply a certain voltage. If the voltage is too high, you will cause damage to your equipment; if the voltage is too low, the equipment will likely not work. But all these Mac power supplies produce the same voltage. They will supply exactly as much electricity as the equipment needs. Just like you can plug a 25 Watt light bulb, a 40 Watt light bulb, or a 100 Watt light bulb into the same connector without problems.

What causes problems is when you try to get too much power out of a power supply, because the power supply will get too hot and eventually will get damaged. So you'd have to be careful using a MBP with a MacBook power supply, but MacBook on MBP power supply is absolutely fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.