Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I’m looking for a monitor, 13-20”, that is designed to be better for my eyes than traditional monitors. I don’t know if such a thing exists, but I’m willing to pay more for a healthier option.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Any of those things. I haven’t looked at stand alone monitors in awhile, so I don’t know what’s out there.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I can understand one reason for wanting a smaller display. It wouldn’t dominate the desk space as much.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
good luck. i tried to find monitors in that size - Hi DPI, clear coating / no fuzzy matte overlay etc... just couldn't come across any. Seems most computer monitors are geared towards those who want 1080p stretched out across 27" right infront of their face.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I can understand one reason for wanting a smaller display. It wouldn’t dominate the desk space as much.
Agreed. But 13 to 20 inches is really quite small (I'm only aware of portable monitors of that size) - once you step up to 21.5 or (approximately) 24 inches, there's more options.

i tried to find monitors in that size - Hi DPI, clear coating / no fuzzy matte overlay etc... just couldn't come across any.
21.5": original LG UltraFine 4K (discontinued)
23.7": new LG UltraFine 4K

Seems most computer monitors are geared towards those who want 1080p stretched out across 27" right infront of their face.
There's plenty of 27" 4K monitors.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
Agreed. But 13 to 20 inches is really quite small (I'm only aware of portable monitors of that size) - once you step up to 21.5 or (approximately) 24 inches, there's more options.

21.5": original LG UltraFine 4K (discontinued)
23.7": new LG UltraFine 4K

There's plenty of 27" 4K monitors.

I think the OP is looking for up to 20" - maybe it's too small for you but doesn't make it small for others. Most computer monitors used to be 15"->21" and we survived just fine.

Alot of monitors are now 27" low DPI (96dpi) because it's cheaper to make, it's all about profit. Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better, at 27" I'd expect 5K minimum, and even then need a deep enough desk to put it on unless you like moving yours eyes around all day.

I have the aforementioned 23.7" LG UltraFine 4K, as it was the best I could find for my eyes, but I even find this 24" large on my desk and quite in my face - at least it's 4K with a clear finish and not some kind of blurry 1080p with a fuzzy finish. But I don't think this meets the OPs requirements - not least I use this mostly for high res drawing/CAD work but for a normal monitor the price is a bit overkill. There is no doubt a disappointing amount of quality ordinary sized monitors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kierkegaarden

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I think the OP is looking for up to 20" - maybe it's too small for you but doesn't make it small for others
That wasn't my point. I was merely saying that if the OP were OK with a slightly larger monitor, there'd be more options. If they aren't, fine.

Most computer monitors used to be 15"->21" and we survived just fine.
So what? Back in the 80's we had tiny monochrome CRTs and survived just fine. :)

Alot of monitors are now 27" low DPI (96dpi) because it's cheaper to make, it's all about profit.
There are low-res 27" monitors but also plenty of 4K ones which have 163 ppi.

I have the aforementioned 23.7" LG UltraFine 4K, as it was the best I could find for my eyes, but I even find this 24" large on my desk and quite in my face
Point taken - the original 21.5" version may have been better for your use case.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Others have mentioned the now discontinued 21.5" 4k ultra fine which, if budget wasn't overly tight, would have been my suggestion.

The problem with modern day monitors is that larger panels have become cost effective as demand has changed and with budget displays you don't get the niceties such as retina (or even moderately high) resolution, high refresh rate, high contrast, HDR/colour reproduction, local dimming zones, widescreen, ultra widescreen, etc.

Time was that you could get a 1280x1024 19" 5:4 monitor for around £100-120 before increasingly large widescreen monitors came in but those are no longer as popular and prices are quite high at the moment.

Back in the day, you could get 20" CRT monitors that could output 1280x1024 and pro models delivered a much better colour reproduction and sharpness than a lot of the TFT displays of the time. Obviously there would be a disadvantage in bulkiness and weight.

The OP would be lucky to find anything TFT-wise today that isn't budget spec at under 21.5' - Dell would be a good place to look for example as they appear to sell 17, 19, and 20" displays (E1715S, P1917S, P2018H, E2020H) but they aren't cheap for what you get - basically bog standard office type displays with TN panels (not exactly excellent colour reproduction).

To be fair the P1917S appears to have an IPS screen but the rest of them certainly don't appear to have the bells and whistles of larger and admittedly more expensive panels.

Ironically, I was browsing Amazon this morning, as you do, and came across this curiosity:

The ECICIV appears to be on an Amazon Limited deal in the UK.

And there's similar screens:

And this listing even mentions eye care (1080p):

I can't vouch for any of these, the brightness looks pretty average but if you could VESA mount them they might be useful.

They might be interesting for field use but the brightness means I'd want to have a cowl or shade round them in bright daylight. Obviously with a more routine office use you might get more out of them and if 4k is overkill there's 1080p variations too (the third link).

Last edited:

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Thanks to all for your help. A smaller size would be nice for travel alongside a Mac Mini. I would prefer a higher quality screen that is small vs a large poor quality screen. Maybe what I’m looking for doesn’t exist.

My work is mainly studying and reading, but I also use Keynote + Affinity Designer. My eyes seem more sensitive to screens lately, so I’m looking into screen tech that is healthier for eyes — less flicker, blue light, etc. A mode that would mimic e-ink for reading would be excellent.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Wouldn’t an iPad Pro satisfy portability and a high quality screen.

You can use it as a secondary screen, don’t know if you could use it as a primary display though.

ipsedixit

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
Thanks to all for your help. A smaller size would be nice for travel alongside a Mac Mini. I would prefer a higher quality screen that is small vs a large poor quality screen. Maybe what I’m looking for doesn’t exist.

My work is mainly studying and reading, but I also use Keynote + Affinity Designer. My eyes seem more sensitive to screens lately, so I’m looking into screen tech that is healthier for eyes — less flicker, blue light, etc. A mode that would mimic e-ink for reading would be excellent.
Try this one.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Try this one.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I’m staying away from Chinese brands I’ve never heard of that seem to clog almost every category on Amazon.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I just have to wonder if a laptop wouldn't be an all-around better computer for you?
I would go along with that if serious travel is involved.

most of the small screens mentioned in my links are from unknown brands - very few big name manufacturers would sell what amounts to be a separate laptop screen and the alternative to do external tablet as second screen is a bit fiddly too.

Reactions: Amethyst1

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Asus makes a number of portable monitors in their zenscreen line. They claim to be flicker free and have a blue light filter and connect over USB C. They have 1080p options at 13.3" and 15.6". They also have a very expensive fancy 21" 4K portable display that costs several thousand dollars.

If you're serious about eye-care and lights and all that jazz, Dasung has a 13.3" eInk 2200x1650 monitor for $1000. Obviously this comes with eInk drawbacks like refresh speed, no color, etc.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I just have to wonder if a laptop wouldn't be an all-around better computer for you?
Good point. My intent was to find a monitor that wouldn’t give me eye strain and be overall more healthy for my eyes. The Asus options mentioned sound like good options. I was originally going to pair this with a Mini, but you’re right that a laptop probably makes more sense for travel, even being paired with the Asus monitor.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Asus makes a number of portable monitors in their zenscreen line. They claim to be flicker free and have a blue light filter and connect over USB C. They have 1080p options at 13.3" and 15.6". They also have a very expensive fancy 21" 4K portable display that costs several thousand dollars.

If you're serious about eye-care and lights and all that jazz, Dasung has a 13.3" eInk 2200x1650 monitor for $1000. Obviously this comes with eInk drawbacks like refresh speed, no color, etc.
Thanks for the tip. The Asus monitors sound like good options.

I had looked into Dasung, but I’m not familiar with the brand and my concern would be finding service on it if needed. Asus seems to be a more widely used brand.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
What's your budget? :)
$5k+. If someone came out with a monitor that was scientifically proven to be healthier for your eyes, I would be all over it. Given how much time my eyes are on a screen, it would be a good investment. I think the market for this would be limited though. The Asus options mentioned seem to be what I’m looking for.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.