Comparing Data plans

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TonyBaloney, Jun 8, 2010.

1. TonyBaloney macrumors regular

I just got an iPad today from best buy, the 64gb with 3g. Anyways I still don't have a tangible idea of what i can get with 250mb versus 2gb. Can anyone put it into some perspective?

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

If you're restricting your 3G use to emails and light surfing then 250 should be fine, anything more (e.g. downloading apps, streaming media) then go with the other plan. There's no penalty in starting out at $15 because you can convert it to the $25 plan if your use demands it.

Your actual use will likely be a blend of 3G and WiFi so it's hard to predict with any certainty how your habits will tax your 3G usage.

3. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I turned my unlimited data on to see how my usage was. i did som surfing just loading some pages, tried netflix, but way too slow, watched about 10 minutes of video, had the macrumors streaming for the keynote address. In less than 24 hours, i had used over 200MB. This thing uses a lot more that the iphone. Just loading a page on yahoo uses several mbs.

4. XciteMe macrumors 6502

Hey topic creator... I also just bought an iPad today but I haven't opened it yet, so I have to ask you (PLEASE answer if you can, I'd appreciate it buddy)...

Does it give you the option of the Unlimited Data for $30 a month? Somebody told me AT&T is extending this. If it's not available for you to choose, Ill know they lied to me.

5. gigaguy macrumors 65816

One poster wrote - 'There's no penalty in starting out at $15 because you can convert it to the $25 plan if your use demands it.'

Not sure what he means by no penalty- the plans do not overlap, this will cost you $40. either plan is a 30 day block. If you are on the 250mb plan and use it all in less than 30 days, your data stops and no new data is available til the 30 day cycle is over. then whatever plan you've chosen starts a NEW 30 day cycle.

If you use up the data before the 30 days is over you CAN opt to start a new monthly plan EARLY , but you incur a brand new full 30 day fee ($15 or $25) for whichever plan you choose.

hope it's clear as ATT is!

6. MiguelS macrumors regular

yup...clear as my screen.

I had the unlimited, then went to 250mb, then read the news and decided to go to unlimited again...unfortunately, the 250mb was in affect for 1 hour and now it says once my 250 is up, the unlimited will kick in....$40 later though.

7. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Yes, I was on the 250mb plan for a week, and then heard the wonderful surprise of ATTs switcheroo.
    So I then signed up for the Unlimited plan June 6, but it won't start for 3 weeks, when my 30 DAY 250 plan is up on June 28. I'll probably run out of my 250 well before that and just wait til June29 for my Unlimited plan to start.

I could try to start it early, but I'm afraid to mess with it, with all the new rules. Right now it says my Unlimited plan starts on June 29. I'm going with that...for now.

8. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

AT&T is so f'd up. They're turning us all into a bunch of paranoids, thinking that we'll lose UDP if we make one false move. This has turned into one of the biggest debacles.

9. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

My 250MB plan runs out in 2 days and I still have over 150MB left. Checking email and some surfing.