Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Comparing the 13-Inch MacBook Pro to the MacBook Air and iPad Pro

jazz1

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
My kid’s 2020 MacBook Air arrived yesterday. Before sending it on I spent a few hours with it. It has the i3 CPU, 8GB memory, and a bump up to 512GB.

I haven’t used a Macbook laptop for almost two years, having to leave behind the company MacBook Pro almost two years ago upon retirement. I’ve been using one form or another of iPads, including the 2018 iPad Pro 12.9” as my latest. I did buy the MK folio.

After using the 2020 MacBook Air I have to say I certainly loved the bigger screen, and the larger trackpad and keyboard over the iPad’s MK. In fact, I was so enamored with it I ordered a 2020 MacBook Air with i5, and 512GB HD. I will also give a big plus to the keyboard feel of the MB Air.

But as the second day wore on, “testing” the MacBook Air for my kid, I felt the MB Air‘s LCD screen wasn’t as good looking as my iPad Pro. It also seemed not as fast. Granted, I’m only doing light consumption, and not producing anything with it. I just didn’t want to install things that I know my kid won’t want.

In the end, I cancelled the MB Air that I had ordered for myself. I know people with other needs would probably go for the MB Air over even the 2020 iPad Pro. So, please understand I an not being critical of the MB Air.

Part of my cancellation decision was also due to the future CPU replacement announced. I don’t know how long that will take to release. But, at this point in time, at least for me, I’m going to hang in there. I could easily get another year or two out of my current iPad Pro. Again, that is based on my use and needs.

I’m glad I got to test out, for myself, the 2020 MB Air. It is a sweet machine. But I need a little more “sugar” ;)

Comment

amartinez1660

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2014
My kid’s 2020 MacBook Air arrived yesterday. Before sending it on I spent a few hours with it. It has the i3 CPU, 8GB memory, and a bump up to 512GB.

I haven’t used a Macbook laptop for almost two years, having to leave behind the company MacBook Pro almost two years ago upon retirement. I’ve been using one form or another of iPads, including the 2018 iPad Pro 12.9” as my latest. I did buy the MK folio.

After using the 2020 MacBook Air I have to say I certainly loved the bigger screen, and the larger trackpad and keyboard over the iPad’s MK. In fact, I was so enamored with it I ordered a 2020 MacBook Air with i5, and 512GB HD. I will also give a big plus to the keyboard feel of the MB Air.

But as the second day wore on, “testing” the MacBook Air for my kid, I felt the MB Air‘s LCD screen wasn’t as good looking as my iPad Pro. It also seemed not as fast. Granted, I’m only doing light consumption, and not producing anything with it. I just didn’t want to install things that I know my kid won’t want.

In the end, I cancelled the MB Air that I had ordered for myself. I know people with other needs would probably go for the MB Air over even the 2020 iPad Pro. So, please understand I an not being critical of the MB Air.

Part of my cancellation decision was also due to the future CPU replacement announced. I don’t know how long that will take to release. But, at this point in time, at least for me, I’m going to hang in there. I could easily get another year or two out of my current iPad Pro. Again, that is based on my use and needs.

I’m glad I got to test out, for myself, the 2020 MB Air. It is a sweet machine. But I need a little more “sugar” ;)
Strongly agreed. The iPad Pro no matter which size nor model is just one of the snappiest devices in general.
You will never get beach balled, you will almost never need to “restart it” to fix a quirk or a feature that stopped working or a lag/slow feeling for some reason. The rare instance safari or YouTube might crash, it will do just that, it will reopen in no time and with the windows and everything as they were before.
For what it is and what it does it is by far my favorite gadget for it.
My personal experience.

Comment

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England

An i3 v A12X contest is an unequal match, I would say.

Comment

jazz1

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I'd probably be willing to bump up the CPU of the Air if I purchased one. In fact the one I had ordered, and then cancelled has the i5. Are there any Air users out there that feel that a CPU bump was worth it?

However, from what I'm seeing online he throttling comes on and mitigates the speed. I wish Apple Stores were open so I could try one out first hand. Of course that isn't going to happen anytime soon I fear.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.