Comparison: Mophie and Belkin's Wireless Chargers for iPhone X, 8 and 8 Plus

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With the release of iOS 11.2, faster 7.5W wireless charging is available on the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus.

Currently, there are two chargers that Apple has confirmed support 7.5W wireless charging: the Belkin Boost Up Wireless Charging Pad and the Mophie Wireless Charging Base, both of which are sold by Apple.

Now that 7.5W wireless charging has been implemented, we thought we'd take a look at both charger options for those of you who are considering a purchase following the update.

Both the Mophie and Belkin wireless chargers are priced at $60 and offer the same charging speeds, but there are some distinct design differences between the two. The Mophie charger is smaller in diameter and is available only in black, while the Belkin model is larger and available only in white.

There are dozens if not hundreds of less expensive wireless chargers available, but it's not yet entirely clear which of these - if any - support 7.5W wireless charging in Apple's new devices at this point in time. It looks like there may be an Apple-controlled factor that prevents some existing higher-watt chargers from offering 7.5W charging speeds on the new iPhones, but that's something we're still investigating in a forthcoming post comparing wireless charging options.

We tested the Belkin Boost Up Wireless Charging Pad on both an iPhone X running iOS 11.1.2 with 5W charging speeds and on iOS 11.2 with 7.5W charging speeds, and we did notice a small difference, but wireless charging speed is dependent on many different variables and it can vary.

[​IMG]

In our current testing, 7.5W wireless charging was faster than both 5W wired and 5W wireless charging, so iPhone owners who are looking for faster wireless charging speeds may be interested in considering one of the chargers offered by Apple.

Both the Belkin Boost Up Wireless Charging Pad and the Mophie Wireless Charging Base can be purchased from the Apple Online store and in retail shops around the world.

Article Link: Comparison: Mophie and Belkin's Wireless Chargers for iPhone X, 8 and 8 Plus

2. fokmik macrumors 68000

3. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Take yesterday's report, remove 1/2 the info, NEW BLOG POST!

4. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

I don’t like either of those options because the phone lays flat. I have the Samsung fast charge stand but it doesn’t appear that Apple is allowing the iPhone X to take advantage of the fast charging capabilities based on visual observation.

5. Jerry Raia macrumors regular

Jerry Raia

I tried the Mophie before 11.2. However because I have a small metal disk on the back between the case and the phone for a magnetic holder in the car, wireless charging doesn't work at all. No surprise I guess.

6. Nozuka macrumors 68000

i'll wait a bit longer and see what apples charger is like. (and price)

[​IMG]

7. tee-tz macrumors member

tee-tz

Will buy that as well, but I ended up getting both of these for home and office.

Prefer the Mophie simply because it matches my space grey phone, so while unlikely, I hope Apple releases a grey version too.

8. aberrero macrumors 6502a

The graph format is terrible. Put time on the x axis.

9. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

That’s great info, and I now that there are other Qi chargers but are any of them 7.5W? I need one for my office.

For home I’ll wait to buy the Apple one since I’ll want to charge both my watch and phone on it.

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The only concern with Apples Airpower to me will be the price point. I imagine it will be priced somewhere around $120-$150.00 Mainly because it's proprietary and of course they charge a premium for all their products.

But if someone has the Airpods with the wireless charging case, Series 3 Watch and iPhone X, then it might be worth taking advantage of.

11. Archer1440, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

Archer1440 macrumors 6502a

Archer1440

Somewhat weaselly headline, as there's no actual comparison between the Mophie and the Belkin product here.

I've seen comparisons elsewhere showing a clear difference in favor of the Mophie unit.

12. H.E. Pennypacker macrumors member

H.E. Pennypacker

RavPower wireless charger is the way to go. I think you can find 10% off promo code as well. Customer service is top notch. Build quality is fantastic. Priced right.

13. Marco0107 macrumors newbie

Marco0107

Does that support 7.5 W charging?

14. Braderunner, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

Braderunner macrumors 6502

I have the Mophie and love it. I'll be really surprised if Apple's own is less than $150. I'm thinking it's going to be $199, and needs something more than just being able to lay your devices anywhere on it. At that price, anyway. But, that's just me.
    Also, it’s kind of ugly. I don’t like the white. Again...just me.

15. Klososky macrumors newbie

Klososky

I grabbed a couple of the Samsung Fast Charge Stands as well and really prefer them to the lay flat type Apple is offering. Hopefully we will have some clarity on the 7.5w issue soon.

16. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

Fixed.

[​IMG]

17. AndyUnderscoreR macrumors regular

AndyUnderscoreR

How did Macrumors miss the big story here? Something is going seriously wrong with these devices! 7.5W ought to be 50% faster than 5W, but it's only about 25% faster at best, and between 30-45 minutes there is NO speed increase at all, 7.5W and 5W both added 9%.

18. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

Can’t believe people pay $50-69 for these things. Anker or RAVPower are just as good at much more affordable price points.

19. H.E. Pennypacker macrumors member

H.E. Pennypacker

Sure does. Designed with the iPhone 8 and X in mind.

20. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

i guess theres an encrypted proprietary chip in these two that lets you charge at 7.5w...vs. 5w...

bu$ine$$.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2017 ---
    im not so sure actually. i read somewhere that that isn't the case
    software limited by apple.

21. H.E. Pennypacker macrumors member

H.E. Pennypacker

That was my question. It kind of sucks that you have to have the newest air pods, newest Apple Watch in order to take advantage of the airpad. I for one own a series 2 Watch airpods and iPhone X, so the only device that I’ll be able to take advantage with would be the iPhone X. Wonder why Apple couldn’t have done all Apple Watch series. Is it not the same technology as what’s on the current Apple Watch chargers (series 0-2)?

22. Laphroaig10 macrumors newbie

Laphroaig10

Have you noticed any difference in how long it takes to reach 100%? I was surprised to see a 20% difference reported here and was hoping to see another comparison like that.

23. Archer1440 macrumors 6502a

Archer1440

The AirPower charger, unlike the Apple disc charger (which can flip up 90 degrees), doesn't look like it can accommodate a link bracelet without de-linking.

24. H.E. Pennypacker macrumors member

H.E. Pennypacker

The specs say that it supports up to 7.5w. With iOS 11.2 it’s supposed to kick in fast charge. If Apple is locking down fast charge to 2 products, they get a middle finger from me. If I need to fast charge I’ll use my 12W iPad charger with a run of the mill lightning cable. I refuse to spend $60 on a belkin with horrible reviews and Mophie is overpriced as well.

25. Laphroaig10 macrumors newbie

Laphroaig10

Just because the charger is capable of supplying 7.5w does not mean that it will work with iPhones if Apple is locking it. The other article mentions a statement from Choetech that "7.5w wireless charging is encrypted and never released to 3rd party manufacturer". There are also reviews on Amazon claiming no difference after upgrading to 11.2, and Ravpower copy-pastes the same generic response that does not address those concerns.

I emailed their customer service specifically asking about this and they just ignored the question. This lack of clarity is telling.