Comparison: Mophie and Belkin's Wireless Chargers for iPhone X, 8 and 8 Plus

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2017.

1. H.E. Pennypacker macrumors regular

H.E. Pennypacker

Then that sucks that Apple is locking it down. Belkin and Mophie are both way overpriced imo and reviews on both platforms are not great.

2. Laphroaig10 macrumors newbie

Laphroaig10

Yes and if encryption is confirmed, it will be hard for Ravpower to justify charging $49.99 too considering that there are lots of other great 5w options that cost much less (and that for just $10 more you get Mophie/Belkin with 7.5w).

3. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

Seriously. Super weak. Waste of time.

4. eagleglen macrumors 65816

eagleglen

I think Apple has restricted the 7.5W power to the Belkin and Mophie because they use a proprietary wall chargers that helps ensure a more controlled and consistent power supply to the phone. If they are concerned with it over heating, this is one way to limit the risk.

That being said, I returned the Belkin charger I got this past weekend because the speed improvement wasn’t significant enough to justify it’s price. I also found placing the phone on the sweet spot to activate wireless charging much more effort than putting the phone on the wireless charger I had previously purchased that has an upright design. It also has two sets of coils to further allow a more forgiving placement.

For those interested, it’s the RAVPower 2 Coil Qi Charger that Amazon sells. It only supplies 5W, but in my opinion, is not that much different.

EA371D53-BE30-4979-A3F4-BB535A15B4E9.jpeg

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have an Anker 10W that supposedly support fast charging. But I didn’t do any tests on it before and after the 11.2 update to verify charge times / rates.

6. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

Why pay $60 for these instead of wait for the Apple's bloody expensive ones?

7. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Anyone know the wallpaper being used in that iPhone X?

8. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if the Samsung wireless charging pad is supported by Apple for fast charging?

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The first generation Apple Watch and Series 1/Series 2 don't have the built-in wireless charging capabilities, which is why it's not compatible with the Airpower. Why Apple did not include that on those generation Apple Watches, perhaps the technology was not ready for those model watches at that time. Or, they knew the iPhone X would have built-in wireless charging, and they likely thought about how could they implement other products they could take advantage of the AirPower, such as the AirPods and Series 3, Apple Watch. My guess is they wanted all three products to have a timing correlation with the AirPower.

10. UL2RA Suspended

They keep showing it but I can’t find it lol

11. Archer1440 Suspended

Archer1440

Mind you, my Apple Watch Series 3 LTE does nothing when placed on my Mophie disc (despite certain sites proclaiming the presence of Qi compatibility). Chances are, AirPower will have something extra to make it work with the Series 3 watch- or a software revision will open the supposed Qi capability.

12. bigpika macrumors member

Had the ravpower charger. but sent it back. great quality for £35. But once your phone is charged, the charger doesnt turn off. after reading the reviews on amazon it was a common problem that was mentioned. seemed just to be iPhones that done this.

13. leftofsouth macrumors newbie

There is an existing Boost Up charger in black that the box says is for Samsung... would it charge at 7.5 as well or only the white one? Walmart has the black for $49

14. Dizzy714 macrumors member

So can anybody confirm if the RavPower does indeed get the 7.5w bump, or?

15. Laphroaig10 macrumors newbie

Laphroaig10

No, it appears to be charging at 5w speed, at least in my test. I might have a chance to use Mophie tomorrow, and will run a similar test to compare, but expect that it will perform at the 7.5w wireless level reported in the MacRumors test.

16. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

[​IMG]

Still think this is the best one able to charge flat or standing up.

Air power will be great due to charging both air pods and watch but think I will still use this one as I like it having a wireless pad that stands up.

Got this one for at home and one for the office.

17. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

Wrong...The RAv power does NOT support 7.5w. Only Mophie and Belkin.

18. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

Wrong. Do some research.

19. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

Did you eat lead paint as a child? It doesn't deliver 7.5w to the iphone..If you need to lie to yourself to justify your purchase so be it.

20. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

First off, there is no reason to act like that about it. I already own this charger and had seen all of these examples of why I thought it supported it.

I found this other review stating that it doesn’t and only 2 do like you said. So I apologize I should’ve done my due diligence.

Just bc it’s the internet, don’t fall into the trap of typing like the other basement dwellers out there. Have a good day.

Attached Files:

21. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

My apologies, I think I had one to many glasses of wine! Happy Holidays!

22. UnusedLoginID macrumors member

Apart from the color and size, there’s another difference worth mentioning. I find the Mophie charger to be more forgiving when you lay the phone flat on it because even if it smaller in size, its charging area is larger than the Belkin one. So if you’re in the habit to just throw your iPhone down on that pad, the chances that it will actually charge without you having to recenter it are higher.
    And another small difference: the Mophie pad is heavier than the Belkin one so it is steadier on the desk. For what it’s worth…

23. fernandowd macrumors newbie

I need help. I bought this charger and it started charging at 11:15 this morning and at 3:40 it was fully charged. Wasn’t it supposed to be faster than that? Besides, iPhone X got hot and Mophie marks on the apple case. What am I doing wrong?

24. Davidthepenguin, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018

Davidthepenguin macrumors newbie

Hi, I am Davidthepenguin, I am a Wireless Charger Manufacturer.

I have recently done a charging speed comparison test between Mophie Wireless charger and our product.(two iPhone X were being used in the comparison)

As soon as Mophie charged 60% of the battery, ours has made it to 87%, shame that I didn't record the whole process in the first place, but will re-do the whole thing again, and upload it to youtube.

Later on, I will share the link, by update this post if I can.

for those who are looking for good wireless chargers for business,
    click here to know more about us:

www.smacat.com
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2018 ---
    It could be faster, but what those companies didn't tell you is, charging speed is not completely depending on power output, sometimes, 7.5W and 5W don't make much difference.

Simply because of: THE BATTERY TEMPERATURE.

According to my experience, 40 C° is a breaking point from FAST charging back to Normal Charging.

This technology is called Battery "Swelling Prevention Mode" from Samsung, which was said to be introduced after the tragic disaster of their frequent battery explosions.

What it does is aim to be good, it secures the charging process to damage our batteries, however, with this as their priority, fast charging isn't really fast.

So, in order to speed up the charging time scale, one has to lower the temperature of the battery.
    How does that even possible to do?

Check my product
    www.smacat.com
    We are really good at it, and you can find our product on Amazon thru our resellers: Seneo