Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
OMG I didn't know that contracts in the US were that expensive.
In Austria (it seems) we got really cheap contracts.
I pay 20€ and get 2000 minutes voicecall 2000 text messages 5GB internet unlimited and the unlimited Data with decreased speed. Mobile Hotspot is free too. The price for the iPhone 4 is between 0 and 350€ (350€ with 20€*contract, 0 with 40€) Just waiting for the 4S to come out now :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
We need to see that chart with “unlimited texting” removed—because few/no texts makes a great, cheaper option for those (like me) who speak into their phones. And texting doesn’t need a plan (or cost) between Apple devices.

My monthly iPhone cost from AT&T totals 64.99: 2GB data and no texts! I refuse to pay high rates for the trivial data involved in texting. Texting solves no problem in my life that voice, email, or IM don’t solve better. Some of my friends have texting habits, but they were easy to cure—I told them not to text me except for emergencies, and they complied!

brammp

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
This chart is wrong, the Sprint voice prices listed also include data, that 10.00 charge is a smartphone charge. So the voice plans are really 20.00 cheaper, and unlimited data is 30.00 not 20. Someone may look at that chart and think Sprint charges more for voice but that is inaccurate

Incorrect. For Sprint if you want unlimited voice minutes on an iPhone, it will cost you $99 / month for voice and unlimited data + $10 / month smartphone surcharge.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
But with Verizon you get a more reliable network.

What do you want -- Slow and steady or fast and unreliable?

Perhaps it's unreliable where you live, but where *I* live it is very reliable. Anytime I hear all these horror stories about AT&T they are 100% foreign to me. I guess I'm fortunate to live in a market where AT&T is beyond good. Sure, I have the occasional missed call, but I've yet to meet someone who doesn't, regardless of what network they're on.

So, given MY location and options, AT&T offers equally reliable service as Verizon but it also gives me greater speed and it allows me to use my iPhone to surf and talk. There's no logical reason why someone in my position would choose Verizon over AT&T. Maybe where you are Verizon is the best you can do.

Honza

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
SF Bay Area
If you're really cheap go with ATT

You may think that Sprint is the best deal, but if you're really cheap (to all you college students out there), go with ATT with no texting. Use Google Voice, and get the 200MB data plan. You'll pay in the low $60's after tax. With texting as expensive as it is, I don't know why more people don't do this ($20-30 a month for texting?)

irfan22

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Paying $59.99 for 550 Min. plus rollover for 2 lines on Att. Is 450 min for 49.99 available for the family plan on att? I dont need the extra minutes. I only see a 700 min plan.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Is it me or are those ridiculous prices in comparison to the UK?!

It's you. I just checked T-Mobile UK's website (http://www.tmobile.co.uk). It's £61/month (or about $100) for "unlimited minutes, 500 texts, and 1GB data." But you do get the iPhone 4 for "free" with that for a 2 year contract.

Granted, you have more flexibility, as for £25 ($40) you can get 100 minutes and 100 texts (and a whopping 500MB), but then the phone goes up to £275.

Nads786

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
You may think that Sprint is the best deal, but if you're really cheap (to all you college students out there), go with ATT with no texting. Use Google Voice, and get the 200MB data plan. You'll pay in the low $60's after tax. With texting as expensive as it is, I don't know why more people don't do this ($20-30 a month for texting?)

what does google voice have to do with texting?

But I do agree, texting is a total rip off, better to use an app like "groupme" or "whatsapp" and use your data than text. You can save 20-30 bucks depending on if your on family or individual plans

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
am i really going to have to wake up at 3:01 to order this thing? Or do you think there will be more than enough stock?

Hopefully there will be enough stock. I would have said that the "disappointing" announcement would mean a subdued launch, but Steve Jobs' death yesterday has a lot of people talking about the iPhone, since it was one of his signature products.

Note that they are doing pre-orders, unlike with the iPad 2, so they seem to be trying to avoid having lines around the block.

arlo19

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2011
Houston, TX
Hrm. Looks like I'm going to have to do some research on this what-carrier-should-I-pick deal.

This is my situation: I live in Florida, and I know both At&T and Verizon have good coverage here, and taking into account that I know I won't consider marrying the Sprint plan (because I don't need an unlimited plan and I'll most likely go with the 450 minutes option if available), added to the fact that the new high-speed feature of the 4S is only reachable through AT&T's network and not Verizon, I would lean towards getting the iPhone from AT&T. Now, at the same time I am kind of reluctant to pre-order the phone right away because I still have not forgotten how bad the reception in the iPhone 4 was when on AT&T's network. Perhaps the aforementioned problem won't be present in the new iPhone, but it looks like I'm going to have to wait for other people's reviews before buying one myself.

It'd help if I could get someone else's input on this.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I will fully admit the best coverage, as in zero dropped calls unless in the desert, Verizon wins period. Too bad I hate them only slightly less than AT&T. I really wish we had a better GSM alternative in the States. (Sorry T-Mobile you have the worst coverage)

I fully agree. I love GSM, but it just SUCKs on att

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I can't wait until my contract is over with AT&T in about a year so I can move to Sprint with true unlimited data. By then, there will probably be a new iPhone (iPhone 5) so that will be a bonus.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Perhaps it's unreliable where you live, but where *I* live it is very reliable. Anytime I hear all these horror stories about AT&T they are 100% foreign to me. I guess I'm fortunate to live in a market where AT&T is beyond good. Sure, I have the occasional missed call, but I've yet to meet someone who doesn't, regardless of what network they're on.

So, given MY location and options, AT&T offers equally reliable service as Verizon but it also gives me greater speed and it allows me to use my iPhone to surf and talk. There's no logical reason why someone in my position would choose Verizon over AT&T. Maybe where you are Verizon is the best you can do.

Wow, i used att in orlando. It sucked big time. Dropped all the time, endless data time outs despite it saying full bars.. I am an iphone addict so used it a lot all over the place (including the conference center)

I think the real problem is for some reason the AT&T frequencies just don't penetrate buildings very well. OUtside in open plains it seems fine, but indoors, or in a car etc it has problems

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL

But I do agree, texting is a total rip off, better to use an app like "groupme" or "whatsapp" and use your data than text. You can save 20-30 bucks depending on if your on family or individual plans

Google Voice allows the user to have a secondary number at no cost and you can use their app to send and receive texts, just like Whatsapp. The only problem with this is getting people to realize that they must text me at that other number. I rather just pay the texting plan than to make people store a secondary number and get them into the habit of texting me there. Not worth the hassle - to me, anyway.

jardanp

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
points to keep in mind:

Spring is NOT offering their TEP (insurance) on the iPhone. You have to purchase Apple Care+ on the day of purchase ($99) which will only cover accidental damage for up to 2 years. Basically if you lose your phone, you're screwed. This is the main thing keeping me from signing with Sprint. :(

On a good note... Sprint's minutes include all mobile to mobile--- pretty great if you ask me... but not great enough to shell out full price if I lose my phone... :cool:

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Texting is one of Google Voice's features and it's free. I do it all the time with my iPod touch and iPad. On Google Voice, you can configure it not to forward texts to the cellphone number in question.

I only give out my Google Voice number, so no one knows if I'm texting from an iPod touch, iPad, or even a web browser on my computer. No one knows my cellphone number (hell, sometimes I need to look it up).

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
I still can't believe the US government allows the networks to actually charge people to receive calls and texts, that's just plain criminal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.