Competing phone companies talking trash about Apple?? Doom-grip video time!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bobby Corwen, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Well in addition to the three tested in the conference video, I saw more phones being Apple doom-gripped. Such as this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b-aoZNv-q0

and now the pre will be i guess..

This is very funny to me because I felt like all those other companies were probably feeling so smug right now with the whole iPhone 4 reputation.

And now its like, Apple is killing em with these videos and they are pretty convincing, whether haters admit it or not, that this is all blown out of proportion and that all phones have this sensitivity in one way or another.

I mean we were over there acting like we expected a recall. And we got all hysterical when Jobs correctly said its a non-issue.

But now I feel like we made them angry and this is only showing the facts more sharply and scientifically than ever.

And the facts are that its the best device available and the rest are junk compared to it.

So now, when a company tries to get fresh... Theyll just release another simple vid of some hand model holding their competitors phone lol.

This hate is getting huge and making a huge impact on Apple (low-brow simpletons across the world now have the impression the iPhone 4 cant make calls) so as a response, it gives apple every right to go to war.

But its a war they are already winning so now its even more reason to dominate the competition because these videos I honestly feel makes those guys look bad/even worse in comparison.

Whos next?

2. advan031 macrumors 6502

There are other threads about this already but I do agree that it is quite humorous. Especially these companies crying that Apple is playing dirty which I agree to an extent but can't fault them.

3. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I think it's quite pathetic on Apple's part. It's quite obvious that no other phone actual ability is compromised to the same extent as the iPhone 4 whether Apple's new death grip web series shows it or not. People would have to be very easily convinced if they were to be disuaded from getting a phone that has receive no complaints all this while just because of this video. There is a reason why the iPhone 4 is the first to receive so much publicity for this issue, it is the only one with a serious problem.

Not knocking the phone itself but Apple's response is quite childish. They should give out their free bumpers and refunds and concentrate on a fix rather than try and drag everyone down with them.

4. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Yup i know, the threads are more specific like about the n97, this one is more about the idea of it all and the big picture.

Yeah its kind of a reason for them to get a little scrappy after they had to endure all that, now those companies tried to act like they are (and always have been) above the iPhone 4 in this manner, especially Nokia. And now this video just makes them look silly and cocky.

Its all so scientifically delicious!

5. randomerratum macrumors 6502

In before;
    But the iPhone attenuation can be initiated by a single finger!!

Yeah. We know, point is, it doesn't matter if the same level of attenuation can happen with a single finger... why would you be using a single finger there.

Apple's point (which, I'll admit, they haven't made clear enough for everybody) is that, yes - a finger can cause the same attenuation, but they didn't think anybody would care. They DID test this phone, they're not idiots and they made the conscious decision that the attenuation was acceptable. Holding the phone is the most you're ever going to manipulate it anyway, and if the attenuation is on par with any other popular smartphone- what does it matter if you can drop the bars like a bar-side magic trick?

We'll see this argument evaporate quickly; Apple's turned the mirrors on the industry, proving pretty well that we've lived with it so far and competitors would be wise to just leave it at that....

and now that the iOS 4.0.1 update has corrected the bars, the drops are FAR less dramatic and not nearly as alarming. Had the bars been correct to begin with, nobody'd have paid a second thought to begin with.

6. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

Apple was lucky that the public and media called it the "Death Grip" and all the video that were posted of people gripping the phone the way they did. Like most of us here "in the know" that really you could just use a finger (which would no affect the other phones out here).

So Apple used the "Death Grip" in their press release since the media already latched onto that term.

We all know the antenna can drop a call with a simple hold (no death grip required) but it would be hard for the media and go back and say "Wait, we meant death finger tip"

Anyway fixed my problems with a case which I was planning on getting anyway. Works like a champ for you really need a case for the ip4.

7. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Well nobody ever had a little *asterisk when they were talking about the iPhone losing reception saying all phones do this to an extent so it made it seem like Apple released a one of a kind bad problem.

And it still holds true that if you dont look at your bars, you will never have an issue.

Just pinch your phone normally and dont palm it and the issue will be as un-serious as all the other ones.

If you dont cup the bottom of the Nokia and just pinch it, it works.

If you dont cover the lower left line on the iPhone and just pinch it, it works.

But the problem is the populace never understood that, all they understood was "it no work good" so now Apple shows that "they no work good too"

8. vant macrumors 65816

The fact is, the iPhone 4 loses 24db at most when 'death gripped'.

This is acceptable, and normal for any phone.

Saying 'oh my wife has 5 bars on her XXXX phone!' is ignorance, as bars are different for EVERY brand.

9. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

A guy came in today to the Gamestop I work at and had an iPhone and I asked him what he thought about the new iPhone 4? (kind of like a mini poll to see where society is at on this one as opposed to the web) and his response was: "Im gonna wait till next year to get the next model because this one has reception problems."

....It made soooo mad :eek:

Seriously, it made me so mad I gave him bad customer service.

I said to him bluntly theres nothing wrong with it, it works, that was a false myth blown up by the media. But he didn't believe me.

10. feddy84 macrumors member

get real.

please read http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2
    before posting

holding it naturaly sure isnt normal drops.

the truth is i grip my phone with my fingertips and with my little finger where the antenna is. and let it rest to my palm. this does not affect any phone but the iphone 4. that being said. i will love the phone and with a free bumper it rocks.
    BUT apples campaign trying to abscure the problem and showing "deathgrips" are pathetic. all phones are affected by the deathgrip. but apples problem ISNT the deathgrip.

11. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Please re-consider your logic. There's still no dropped calls or any real life effect. Your calls will work and your pages will load in the blink of an eye.

Any other small details are a product of the outer antenna trade-off. More signal and more attenuation. Kinda almost makes up for itself. You get more reception but its more sensitive. The end result will still be normal behavior as far as the end user is concerned. Plus usage where you could not get signal in the past.

12. feddy84 macrumors member

the problem is those who live in low reception areas. it would start to get realy annoying when your finger touches the side and suddenly you cant hear the other person. time after time u have to move your finger from the comfortable position that you have alwayes used.

but for apple to trying to cover upp this problem with another problem that affects all phones is a real blow to the credibility of this once good company.
    loyalties will fall for those who understand that apple is trying to brainwash you ^^

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I disagree.

This is the result of my iPhone 4 being held normally with a finger bridging the antennae.

iPhone 4.PNG

There is no way my "pages will load in the blink of an eye". :rolleyes:

14. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

No offense but I don't trust what you are doing there. I dunno what you're doing to achieve that result but I bet its not natural. Besides, when you browse the web you hold it in landscape with one hand and the other touching.

15. feddy84 macrumors member

thas another valid point. when you use your iphone to browse the web or whatever. you most certinly hold it in your left hand(assuming your right handed) thus alwayes bridging the gap with your palm. have fun browsing in low reception areas ^^

16. feddy84 macrumors member

i sure would like a picture of you holding your iphone in landscape mode while browsing. that wouldnt seem like a very intuitive way to hold it.

17. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

I dont palm it I pinch it. Even in low reception areas, as long as theres something there to grab, the iPhone 4 will do a better job grabbing it compared to the 3GS. So in low reception areas Ill be glad to have this boost. Of course I wont be pinching in the spot. Nor would anyone once they know about it. Just avoid holding it there.

18. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

What do you mean? have you not used landscape mode to browse the web?

What about the way I hold it seems un-intuitive? Im talking about pinching it with two fingers with my left hand and touching the screen with my right? whats the confusion?

19. feddy84 macrumors member

soooo... the phone dictates your way of holding it. haha
    hope you dont your car dictate where your going aswell

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Lightly gripping it with a finger bridging the antennae like I stated in my original post.

And I never knew there were rules to dictate which way round you have to hold the phone to browse the web. :rolleyes:

21. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Are you really telling people how to hold their phones?

22. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok cool so you guys are getting around back to what this is about. An issue of principle with no real world applications or problems.

Im a psychological expert, and though I wont go deep into details, I can tell you the problem is all just hypothetical. Its all in your head and its all about the way it was all presented. The precedent of this release combined with Apples history and near-mythic reputation for customer satisfaction has a lot of people stressed out OCD style over an imperfection that was discovered in a welcome trade off for the quest for better reception.

Yes the phone dictates how you hold it. For a reason though. So dont be a prick, hold it how it wants to be held. Not how you want to. Because who are you?

"The customer"

Well haven't you been spoiled ENOUGH?

23. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

24. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

No offense to you as a person but quite frankly, your brand of conversation style is not one that I particularly care to partake in.

The reason I am stopping this short here is because even though I was obviously not calling anyone specifically a prick, and was doing more of a rolling narrative in general, you tried to flip it, signaling that you are either trolling or so dense that you didn't comprehend the sentiment I was trying to convey therefore it doesn't interest me to have a friendly debate with you.

Good day sir.

25. feddy84 macrumors member

Im a psychological expert... ^^ does this matter?
    i am raised in an environment where things you read about was everyday life for me. aswell as i have an education in Computers and whatevers and a keen intrest in everything scientific since i was 5. so what???....

a produkt introduced to a market should be usable to a standard of the human limitations. you wont make a steering wheel with 2 big gaps at top where your suppose to put your hands. wouldnt it get VERY annoying since you have been tought and gotten used to having ure hands there?
    the problem has gotten this big cause apple has denied a obvius flaw in their design and wont admit it either. in their press conference they ended with something like. "so you see there never where an antennagate"
    and patronize us with that and like to a small child you can give a bit of candy just cause they will get sad otherwise apple are giving us free cases.

THIS is why people make a big deal of this.