competing phones to knock the iphone's socks off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphoneftw, Jun 22, 2009.

?

will there be a phone that will knock the iphone off its throne

1. yes

32 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. no

128 vote(s)
    76.6%
  3. there already is one

7 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

push notifications are amazing im willing to bet that in 8 years other competitors will finally be at the level of push and all the other amazing features of 3.0
    i wish some company would release something to compete with apple
    my question is do u guys think in the future there will be a company who releases a games changer phone to compete with the iphone

[​IMG]

maybe if microsoft releases a zune phone this guys tattoo wont be a fail but a win. :D or still a fail since it would probably be a complete copy off the iphone os:p

[​IMG]
    wow its sock is getting knocked right off

2. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

Nobody can even make a worthy competitor for the iPod, let alone the iPhone. There's no way anybody will be able to compete in my opinion, at least not for quite some time.

3. iphoneftw thread starter macrumors 6502

well i could but im to much of a fanboy to do that to :apple:

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

No, unless Apple were to open up iTunes to other devices syncing with it (NOT LIKELY!).

For the people who really don't care much for all the music and videos via iTunes, the other newer smartphones probably compare well with the iPhone. But I now MUST have an iPod, and the iPhone lets me carry one device. Now had an iPhone without all the data-necessary bells & whistles been released at first, I probably would've gone with it. But I'm basically willing to pay the extra $30/month for everything, although it's probably going to be painful until I actually get a pay raise again. I work at a newspaper, you do the math. :(

5. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

Yes. 8 years is a long time.

(And...I'm not trying to be a dick here, but could you take 15 extra seconds out of your day and try to compose sentences that are a bit more coherent.
    My apology if English is not your native tongue. ;))

6. loleries macrumors newbie

I agree that iPhone is at the top but disagree with the bolded statement. Have you seen push on a Pre? I hate to say it but the Pre's push system is about 8 years ahead of the iPhone. Only complaint though, iPhone wins everywhere else.

7. iphoneftw thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry i could have composed my sentences better :eek: its late and im tired
    english is my native tongue so apology not acceptted im not the best at grammar if i was i would have made my user name grammarftw :D

8. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

Also tattoo has two o's in it.

9. iphoneftw thread starter macrumors 6502

i dont know what u r talking about (sarcasm)
    maybe u should go to grammar rumors if u just want to talk about grammar :D

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

nope, sorry, the precious little iPhone will eventually meet its demise. As will Apple, mac os, Jobs, et al.

11. iphoneftw thread starter macrumors 6502

Competition breeds innovation that's all I got to say

12. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

The only phones (currently) that I would enjoy equally as much as my iPhone are the Blackberry Bold and the Blackberry Curve 8900. I love my iPhone though so that won't happen. :)

13. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

I heard the Nokia N97 is going to be the "iPhone Killer" but with prices THAT high, I doubt it. Plus it's real bulky and doesn't have the image that the iPhone does.

14. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I don't think it's going to happen any time soon, but it will happen. Nothing is forever.

15. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

Well, i am not so sure.

Take a look at the Link The General posted in in this thread :

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=729524&highlight=nokia

Engadget.com made first contact

16. aaron11193 macrumors regular

aaron11193

Karumba/Cairns/Charters Towers, QLD, Australia
    I've said this before, it's all about what you use your phone for. For what I do, my i-mate JASJAM as absolute pwnage.

And I have an iPod Touch, I don't need one with a phone connection.

Just my 2 pence.

17. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

Advanced features like
    well push, as you mention it... been available on some other phones for some time.

Maybe advanced features like tethering.
    See push

MMS.
    hmm. See Push, Tethering.

Video.
    Uhh.

Cut Copy & Paste?
    *snrk*

Don't get me wrong. I've got a 3GS and I <3 it big time, but the idea that apple's ideas are 8 years in the future when other phones can already do them is somewhere between blinkered fanboyism and madness.

There's absolutely no doubt that in some of these areas their implementations of these features are done much better than anyone else. Apple win by making this stuff actually easy and pleasant to use and tight integration of things like the app store and itunes. . I don't want to sound like I'm underestimating what Apple are doing with that stuff, it's a big win. But 8 years in the future? c'mon.

18. YoungLew macrumors regular

I'm not a fanboy and i have a secret hate for OSX, but i have to admit the iPhone is an amazing peice of kit and in terms of competition nothing else comes close!

not just in terms of functionality but in terms of its UI and its seamless connectivity and the fact everything just works!

19. iphoneftw thread starter macrumors 6502

Responsive multi touch? Storage? Complete browser with autofill? Movie/tv show downloads? Best battery life on a 3g phone? App store with endless amounts of choices? I'm not saying that the whole cellphone market is 8 years behind but I'm saying it will take at least 8 years as a whole for it to get to this level

20. aaron11193 macrumors regular

aaron11193

Karumba/Cairns/Charters Towers, QLD, Australia
    The functionality part is what I'm on about :)

I agree the UI, seamless everything and everything just working (unlike my JASJAM, bloody microshit) is amazing. But then again isn't this expected from Apple?

21. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

In terms of mindshare, heck no. Apple may not be the biggest seller of phones but you would think they did by the amount of coverage around the iphone.

22. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The problem has always been that the features have not worked well on other phones. Yeah, I've had most of the neat stuff that the iPhone has had years before the iPhone came out (well, except the GPS, the magnetometer, and the accelerometer, and the finger-optimized touch screen, and the awesome video playback...). Years ago I had a phone that could check e-mail, and "browse" the web, and do instant messaging and stuff. It just did these things very poorly. Forget about rendering HTML-formatted e-mails, or viewing a real website. Or doing anything, really, and having it look and work nearly as well as it does on an iPhone.

It's been said over and over again, and yet naysayers and critics continue to ignore this: the innovation isn't in the basic features of the device, but how they are implemented. The specs on paper in and of themselves are not remarkable and never really have been. It's the fact that the iPhone does these features better than most other phones out there that makes it popular.

You can call me a fanboy for this, and that's fine. However, I didn't spend my weekend in line at Apple stores throughout the weekend trying to get one. I ordered mine online and did away with that nonsense. But apparently, up to a million other people did wait in line. Annoyed the stuffing out of me too; being faced with having to wait 40 minutes in line just to buy a stinkin' sync dock on Sunday, I ended up walking off.

But I digress.

Anyway: There has to be a reason so many people are lining up year after year for these things, leaving the response for other supposed "iPhone-killers" to seem tepid by comparison. For 2 years and counting now, phone makers have been trying to emulate the iPhone interface. The G1 was an admirable try. The Blackberry Storm was a comparative flop, though RIM and Verizon still try to get it useable, and they may succeed someday. The Palm Pre is about as close as you can get, but they had to poach Apple talent to get as close as they did. And even then, it still seems pretty evident that at least this go-round, the Pre will not equal, let alone surpass, the iPhone's success.

Then there's the N97. Heh. When will Nokia figure out that FM radio is pretty much dead?

Perhaps some day. But not today. And I think the past six months have proven that Steve Jobs has trained his people well. It'll be interesting to have him back, but Apple will clearly live on without him someday.

Besides, I doubt Apple is going to stop at the iPhone. They'll find some other market to enter and turn that on its ear, too, after they've messed with cell phones for a few years. They'll continue selling iPhones, as they've continued to sell classic iPods, and they probably will continue to dominate there for quite some time, and even be a major player if and when they finally stop dominating. But they will not stand still.

Let's also not forget: they still make Macs. And those appear to be selling rather well, despite recession.

23. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

I haven't actually used a Pre yet, but everything I read suggests it could supplant the iPhone when:

1. it has an established set of practical apps.
    2. Palm can eke longer life out of its battery.
    3. it becomes available on carriers other than Sprint.

Apple will continue to innovate, and as long as Jobs stays healthy enough to fire off great new ideas, the company's products will stay at or near the top. However, based on history, when that's no longer the case, Apple could be in deep kimchi.

24. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

That's a unique feature. Perhaps less so with the Pre.

Storage? The iphone is not the first phone to have onboard memory. Some phones have infinate memory by the way, as you can keep plugging in microSD cards. Gosh, more "advanced" than the iphone there.

What does that even mean? I'd say Opera have mobile browsers that are as "complete" as Safari. I prefer safari, but don't tell me it's the only decent mobile browser out there.

Quite possible on a Windows Mobile device thanks. Not as easy or as pleasant as on an iPhone (and the iphone's usability benefit shouldn't be under-estimated), but again quite possible.

I'd suggest that's a subjective thing. I'd also suggest that Sony-Ericsson and Nokia might have something to say about that.

That's one for Apple.

It might take a while for other people to "get it" about why Apple's product is so much better to use despite their products having a similar checklist of features, but there is no way 8 years of difference. Let's face it, the palm pre isn't a bad fist at catching up with Apple's phone and that didn't take that long to develop.

25. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I absolutely agree. This is why Apple are winning... This is why I have traded up from a Windows smartphone that did all that and more, badly, to an iPhone and no intention of changing that state of affairs.

But it isn't "8 years in the future" or whatever nonsense.