Compile a List of Bugs You've Seen in 3.0 Beta

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andreab35, Mar 18, 2009.

1. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Honestly in my opinion, the 3.0 beta isn't as bad as I thought it to be. It's a tad slow, but it can be dealt with.

Here are the bugs I've found so far:

• When going into landscape mode for SMS, the status bar (carrier, battery, time) does not always switch to landscape mode.
    • When you are asked to rank an app before deleting it off your iPhone, when pressing the desired amount of stars, then pressing "rate", the iPhone hangs. (fix is to hold down the home button for 8 seconds)
    • When tapping the "network" under settings, it hangs.
    • Delay of screen turning on when pressing the home/awake button?
    • iPod crashes sometimes, mostly when switching to type an SMS message.
    • Missing icon when in the camera app where you would normally tap to view pictures (still works though)
    • Mishaps here and there with the Shift key under Contacts and some other apps.
    • Copy & Paste is still a little shaky. Likes to pop up for no reason when I have no intention to use the feature.
    • MMS (although disabled and not ready to use yet) is problematic. When attempting to capture or attach an existing photo, the app hangs.
    • When a text has already been sent, the iPhone will indicate it is still sending the text (will say "Sending" for about 2 hours).
    • Messages app will sometimes claim "Sending messages 1 out of 2" when you only sent one.

*Just a little funny thing: when typing "whatcha" such as, "whatcha doin'?" The iPhone replaces it with the word, "whatchamacallit." I've never heard of such a word before!*

Otherwise, that's all I've noticed so far and there must be more to discover.

What have you discovered?
    Share your thoughts!

:)

2. ronm3xico macrumors member

Did you upgrade or restore + install out of curiousity?

3. GCmini macrumors member

GCmini

When I first put 3.0 on NO sound was working. Which sucked. Then later that night it started to work. Messaging is VERY laggy :( And crashes a lot! I usually just turn it off and on again and it fixes that. Everything you have listed i have experienced. I cant think of much else wrong with it. Im sure more things will pop up over time tho.

4. Vazzyb macrumors member

Vazzyb

Messenger sends multiple messages without asking you!
    Lack of Background Processes...:rolleyes: (ok, maybe thats not a bug :p)

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

It's a candy bar

Attached Files:

6. wil49 macrumors member

Its not a word its a group.
    "whatchamacallit" = "whatcha ma call it"

7. andreab35 thread starter macrumors 6502a

andreab35

What I did was restored.

From the developer website, I downloaded the iPhone 3G ISPW file, and saved it onto my desktop.

When in iTunes, before I clicked Restore, I held down the "option" key on the keyboard and then it had me choose the file. Installation went smoothly. I chose not to load on my backup so the phone was restored to factory settings with 3.0 beta.

I have not tried downgrading. For my situation, I don't see a need to.

8. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

I set mine up as a new phone.
    Other than slow sometimes but i think we all know that.

I turn off that annoying fake key click noise but it still is active when using spotlight.

I tried setting up my voicemail but it dident work, about 2-3 minutes later i was using safari and my passcode thing came up, Visual voicemale works now but laggy set up.

9. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

• Cannot drag/pan pictures while zoomed in Photos app
    • Cursor disappears when entering text in Safari (forms, etc)
    • When adding a bookmark in Safari, the entire view (including keyboard) is shifted up.
    • Once highlighted for copying, SMS messages cannot be de-selected

10. richg916 macrumors regular

It's near the end of my first day with 3.0 and the battery life isn't that good, had to plug it in mid afternoon. Something they will iron out I'm sure...

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

or another reason to upgrade to the new hardware? ;)

12. PaThKu macrumors member

OP, I've encountered all of the same bugs too! I'll keep my eye out for new ones.

Remember folks, let's all remember our bug reporting duties! :D
    https://bugreport.apple.com/

13. andreab35 thread starter macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A238j Safari/525.20)

Oh yes definitely! Apple will love me for being Ms. Bug Reporter! Lol

14. cridiron macrumors member

I also can't get A2DP working. Unless there's a preference I don't know about, or it is not enabled yet?

15. gottafly macrumors regular

I guess we're back to the "it takes forever to finish backing up" days.....

16. naevity macrumors member

css animations are really screwed up in Safari, they are choppy and sometimes out of place. In Safari 2.2.0 and 2.2.1 it was smooth as butter

17. Xtgirl macrumors regular

Is it ok to talk about the bugs....as long as you don't post screenshots....don't want to get in trouble...

18. unfeomateo macrumors member

spotlight won't search my contacts. Is there something I'm missing?

19. weeman macrumors 6502

I dont know if its just me or not, but the letter "U" looks funny on the keyboard.

20. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

I thought 3.0 seemed pretty smooth at first but the more I use it, it is getting pretty bad.

-majorly slow often
    -tons of lag in several apps and typing
    -crashing Messages app, lots of crashing in new Voice app and weird bugs
    -MMS doesn't even work sending or receiving
    -Really slow start up and shut down
    -Really slow backup in iTunes
    -Spotlight is very slow, it is NOT like on the Mac like some people are saying, NOT AT ALL, on the Mac is instant
    -My home screen started showing as the voice app screen... WEIRD!
    -Can't pan images when pinched in
    -Texts dont make that WOOP iChat sound anymore when you send... I dunno if that is a bug, but I don't like not having that

That's about it, but it is far from ready or it will be another nightmare like the 3G release again :( I want it SOLID like the original iPhone release!!!

I love it though as far as features etc. I wish for a couple little things like custom text ringtones etc. But can't complain, this is a really big update.

Like I have been saying, after Apple took care of the enterprise features, they returned focus to the users. I think the new iPhone in June will do video with hardware enhancements and Snow Leopard goodness for sure... That is my prediction!

P.S. Anybody else have confirmation from AT&T about MMS already being part of the text plan and no extra charge??? I called them and even had the girl verify with a manager and she said it is all included already, but I have read twice now online that Apple said additional fees may apply. Are they just meaning in other countries maybe???

21. svndmvn Guest

As a Beta Tester and not a developer how does one report bugs?
    Holding the home button doesn't force quit any app.
    The bookmark slider screws up the screen rotation, you have to quit the app to make it work.
    While something weird was happening in safari I somehow made appear a menu about the autofill and such, can't seem to make it do it again.

22. alFR macrumors 68020

Er, you do understand what a beta test period for software is, right? (by that I mean the proper definition of a beta, not the google one).

23. efice32 macrumors 6502

the missing icon in the camera app that was referred to....when you take a picture it now shows a small thumbnail of the last picture you took in that corner where the icon used to be while showing the normal viewfinder on the big screen....it may not be a bug

24. Lucagfc macrumors 6502

The worse problem is when it locks up while it's on standby, that makes it impossible for sms and calls to go through, and when you finally go and restart it, the battery is dead. Considering the poor stability of this 3.0 I think apple should allow us to return to the old version. Now the phone is unusable because of these blocks and the poor battery life. Yes, the beta is for developers, but not all of them are companies with many phones. Small developers only have his personal phone to test applications, and now our personal phone in unusable. Thanks...

25. svndmvn Guest

are you on a clean restore, no backup?