Compiling 10.8 binaries on machine running 10.7

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Macula, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

Here's the thing: I have an ageing black Macbook, one of those cult objects with a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo processor and 6GB of RAM. No multitouch and, worse still, a pathetic X3100 graphics chip.

As a result, I can't install Mountain Lion. I'm stuck at Lion 10.7.5, which should be released in the next few days.

I don't want to buy a new mac now and would like to extend the lifetime of this senile machine by 1-2 years by buying a new battery and a 256GB SSD, all in all at only $300.

I don't mind the lack of Mountain Lion features but my question—long story short—is this:

Using Xcode, will I be able to build binaries for 10.8 on this old machine (assuming that I don't use APIs for features that aren't supported on Lion, e.g. notification center)?

Thanks.

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Of course. Switch Xcode to Deployment Target = 10.7 and SDK = 10.7, and you can use all Lion features (Mountain Lion features won't compile) and it runs on 10.7 upwards. Or pick an earlier version for both Deployment Target and SDK if you want to run on Snow Leopard, for example.

3. Macula thread starter macrumors 6502

Macula

That's what I suspected, but with Apple's notorious "lockouts" you never know. Thanks!

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Would you please explain what you mean by "notorious lockouts"? If you throw accusations around then you should tell us what you mean, so that any misconceptions on your side can be corrected.

5. Macula thread starter macrumors 6502

Macula

Well, I had in mind things like a 4-year old computer (mine) not being supported by the new OS. Or iOS features not being supported by devices 2 generations old. I did not mean to offend anyone's sensibilities, in any case! And I could be wrong anyway, as I often am at this time of the night :p

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The fact that your computer is not supported by the latest OS is because the OS is updated every year now, not every two years. If Mountain Lion was released a year later, your Mac would still be running the latest OS for a year.

And what I dislike is complaints in a form that cannot be verified or countered, because nobody knows what the complaint actually is. Anybody doing that kind of thing should _always_ be questioned.

7. Macula thread starter macrumors 6502

Macula

Oh I _love_ complaints that cannot be countered, sorry! ;)