Complete Noob question (what should I use for indenting?)

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by sirxavier, Mar 17, 2010.

1. sirxavier macrumors newbie

Hi!

Thanks for your attention.

I am learning Objective-C from scratch(however I do know some C). I am using the Programming in Objective-C book and so far all is good, but there's something that has puzzled me since I started learning programming.... and it is.... what should I use for indenting?

The examples in the book show 4 spaces indentation, so at first I thought... isn't pressing just tab easier? But then the indentations where too big... then I checked wikipedia and it says that using spaces or tab is a thing of preference?

So far I have been pressing space 3 times for each indentation following the examples in the book... am I doing it right, isn't pressing space 3 times more cumbersome than pressing tab once? Should I stop worrying about this? :p

Thanks again!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You should try to make your code easy to follow. It's a matter of preference how much you indent each line.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Did you check XCode preferences / Indentation?
    Just set tab width = 4.

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

If you're using Xcode, let it auto-indent for you: Preferences > Indentation > Syntax-aware indenting

6. sirxavier thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using vim in terminal at the moment, but I will move to XCode soon enough... but now I know how to solve my problem to make it look like the book with only one key press! :)

Thanks again!

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

8. sirxavier thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Cine22 macrumors newbie

Hi Friends, I am Cine and I have read your site in a very deep and I would like to appreciate you on this brilliant effort. You have provided some thing so much different that I can't have words for thanks.