completely screwed..and not sure what to try next

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by twisted-pixel, Oct 18, 2010.

1. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

Hi,

so my iphone 4 (jailbroken) is stuck in either recovery mode (plug into itunes)...or just sitting there with an Apple Logo and wont go any further

it was on 4.0 software, but I have no idea what the baseband was.

I do not want to upgrade the firmware to 4.1 through itunes incase I lose the unlock.

I cannot use tiny umbrella because it just gives me an error that TSS Server cannot be started and I should not attempt a restore.

so..what do I do now?

any assitance is greatly appreciated

2. tehreflex macrumors 6502

Try putting phone into DFU mode and restoring to 4.0 if you have your blobs saved.

3. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I've got version 4.01 and pretty sure the blobs are saved, but will I upgrade th baseband if I do that, thereby destroying my unlock capabilities?

4. tehreflex macrumors 6502

4.0.1 will not upgrade baseband. If you upgrade to stock 4.1 it will upgrade the baseband.

5. homrb macrumors regular

when you say this do you mean the bar under the apple is stuck there and wont move? if so, uninstall wi-fi sync on your computer, restart and youre good. This worked for me

6. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

nope..I meant my phone only has two 'modes'

DFU with the plug into itunes message

or the apple logo screen (wth the very small colour bars at the top showing the jailbreak bits)

it just sits there like that for ever.

I don't have wifi sync, so it wont be that

7. nozebleed macrumors 6502

try this if you are stuck on the "plug into itunes" screen. google recboot, download, exit recovery mode, carry on

recboot

8. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

try turning off your firewall or make sure there is an exception for tiny umbrella

9. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

thanks..I can get it out of recovery mode...but when I do, it just sits there, with the apple logo and (jailbreakme.com) jailbreak screen....and doesnt actually boot up.

so it lookes like the only thing I can do is restore....but, since I don't know if I'll lose my baseband and therefore my unlock, I'm looking to see if there are any other options??? (esp since TU wont work)

10. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

try it on another PC or make sure you have your firewall turned off....are not hooked up through a router too.

11. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

Check this guida for keeping your baseband, I got and error when I tried it (error 3002) and it wouldn't update with the IPSW they made me download so I updated normally and it kept my baseband anyway :)

good luck

12. scottuf macrumors 6502

first, turn off web sharing in the sharing menu. this should allow TSS to start in Tiny Umbrella.

If that doesn't solve it, then you probably have no option but to upgrade to 4.1 and lost the BB.

As a side note, this happened last week to my girlfriend's iPhone4 (16gb). I jailbroke it with Limera1n, all good. when she went to sync it to put her music on it, about halfway thru iTunes threw an error message that it couldn't connect to the disk. Every attempt to restore with DFU, recovery mode, upgrade to iOS 4.1, etc, nothing worked. Even tried to re-JB with LR in case maybe just the tether part got messed up, no luck. She ended up taking to the apple store and they couldn't get it either so they gave her a replacement. Not sure if it was LR, or if the hardware just coincidentally failed, but it sounds like you are having the same exact problem she did. when I did try to restore it it would get stuck on "waiting for iphone" even when left overnight.

13. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You do not need tiny umbrella to keep the old baseband for the ip4. There are two alternative ways.

1. Is to restore through Saurik by changing host files.
    2. Is to download the ipsw and start the restore but disconnect the internet soon after the restore starts.

They both accomplish the same trick that TU does. They prevent signing of the baseband update and hence it will fail with a 1004 error and you then kick it out of recovery with TU.

To check your host file ping gs.apple.com either from a terminal window on a mac or command prompt on windows. you should get a return address of 74.208.10.249 if your host file is correctly pointing to Saurik.

14. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

hosts file is correctly modified to point at Saurik,

4.01 software is downloaded and restoring....all looking good....and then...error 1004..and I'm back to square 1...or even before square 1!!

15. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

Tiny umbrella will not open if you have skype running

16. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

well..managed to restore to 4.01...

did the restore then kicked it out of recovery mode...

but...******....lost the carrier unlock...so, don't know which carrier it was locked to....can't access the phone at all..and now haven't got a clue what to do!!

do you think O2 would unlock the phone for me (they are my service provider), or am I screwed?

17. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

or....how to do jailbreak my phone without being able to access jailbreakme.com?

TU is saying my BB is 01.59.00-ICE_2_6

so, apart from being able to activate the phone (I get an error message in itunes telling me the sim card is the phone is not supported)

if I could jailbreak, I could hackivate right?

18. andy2141 macrumors 6502

o2 unlocked my iPhone 4 for me shortly after I got it back on release day.

I just filled in the online web form and it came through in a couple of weeks. The site said it'll only work for the 3G and 3GS at the time, but I thought it was worth a go anyway and it seems it was.

I'm a pay monthly contract customer though. Not sure if this will make a difference to your situation.

19. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

There are two new jailbreak products out in the last two weeks. Limera1n and greenpo1son.

Take your pick and jb the phone then go to repo666 in cydia and unlock with ultrasn0w

20. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

thanks...but how do get to cydia, if I can't activate the phone?

21. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

and tried GP 6 times now....just fails every time!!

22. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Again you have two choices.

You can activate the phone with an old 02 SIM even if it no longer has service.

The JB tools I recommended will hacktivate the phone for you.

what country are you in at the moment?

Try limera1n if GP is not working for you.

23. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

hi..

firstly, let me say thank you to all who are hlping..I really really appreciate it.

so..limerain seems to have worked (no error messages at least)...but..I'm still stuck at the activation screen. I do have a SIM card (my current O2 one). but the phone says this sim isn't supported (so i'm guessing the phone is locked...but to which carrier I have no idea).

so..I can't get access to the phone to see if it has indeed been jailbroken, and therefore I don't know how to get to ultrasnow etc to hacktivate it

24. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Ultrasn0w does the unlock not the hactivation. You missed a step with the JB there was an option to hactivate.

25. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

ah..ok...I didn't see any message about hacktivation...I'l have another go and see if I can spot it