Completely spoiled by iPhone 4 Retina...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nevesis, Mar 13, 2011.

1. nevesis macrumors 6502

Was 100% sold on getting the iPad 2...

Went into the Apple Store today to play with it, and even though the case redesign is beautiful, and it is thin...I still can't get over how inferior the screen looks compared to the iPhone 4.

I have been completely spoiled. My perfect tablet has a 'retina' style screen on it, and even though I know the technology is far off, its hard to spend so much money on a screen that looks so inferior to what my eyes are used too.

If I never saw the retina on my iPhone 4 I would think the iPad looks amazing.

I know this discussion has been done to death, but after leaving the Apple store today, my opinion completely changed on whether I truly need the iPad 2 or to wait to drop the $$$ when Apple finally ups the resolution!

Discuss!

2. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

Is that how you feel when you look at your computer or laptop or TV or any other screen? The iPad has a ppi of 132 which, by screen standards, is very sharp. It's as good as the high res 11.6" MBA (whose resolution blew everyone away).

Of course it looks worse than your iPhone 4. But so will every other screen in existence.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yep. Apple won't sell me another iPad until retina display comes. Next year, Apple, next year.

4. corriewf macrumors 6502a

I know bro....I'm gonna throw my MacBook air in the trash! :D

Kidding! I would have preferred a better pixel density. Ok, maybe not retina, but just a bit higher please. :)

5. blen macrumors regular

blen

Yes, Retina is pure beast - and I can't wait for it to be viable cost and production wise for iPad.

It's all about viewing distance, though - which makes iPad's 1024x768 resolution just fine.

6. asdf542 macrumors 6502

I don't understand how such a complaint can be soloed onto the iPad when typical computer monitors are viewed the same as the iPad. Are you guys telling me you can't use your computer monitors either because you are spoiled from the iPhone 4?

The iPad's DPI is higher than every Mac with a screen excluding the 11.6" MBA (lower by only 3) and the 17" MBP (same as the iPad).

7. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

A retina display would likely require faster cpu and gpu processors and more memory to keep up which would destroy the battery life. It'll likely happen, but probably for a while. Not till all that stuff becomes cheaper and engineered to consume less power. Like next year or something. :p

8. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Same for me.

Fonts look crappy on iPad 2, and those saying to hold it farther away are nuts.

9. advan031 macrumors 6502

iPad 2 screen looks fine...try looking at a iPhone 3G screen.

10. asdf542 macrumors 6502

163 DPI for every iPhone prior to the iPhone 4, certainly nothing to scoff.

DPI:
    13" MBP/MB - 113
    15" MBP - 117/128
    17" MBP - 132
    21.5" iMac - 102
    27" iMac - 109
    11.6" MBA - 135
    13" MBA - 128

iPad/iPad 2 - 132

iPhone/3G/3GS - 163
    iPhone 4 - 326

11. iserian macrumors 6502

IPhone 4 screen is so small who cares about ret display. IMO its about as good as a thinner ipad. Larger screen may impress though.

12. nevesis thread starter macrumors 6502

Different experience.

The iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad is about the TOUCH experience. Working on a computer and interacting with it using a mouse/keyboard is different. You are tethered, sitting at a specific distance.

Once you have the iPad in your hand, you hold it multiple different ways, sometimes closer, sometimes further away. Touch is a more personal user experience, and once getting used to the iPhone 4, I almost expect it when picking up an iPad.

Its the tablet I see in the future and just can't wait to use. A thin, high resolution tablet, with SUPER crisp text/imagery.

I completely understand the comparisons to PC's, TV's, and the technical limits right now. This is just a thread telling how ive been spoiled by the 'retina' technology in the iPhone 4, and how I long for the iPad to have the same.

13. gatearray macrumors 65816

Those saying fonts look crappy on the iPad 2 are nuts.

Have you even used an iPad 2 yet? I ask, because even though the res is the same, there are some who see an improvement in clarity and contrast over the original.

14. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

I disagree. I think the iPad 2's screen is amazing and puts my iPhone 4 down. Now if you take an iPhone 4 and compare it to any other screen, then yea, iPhone 4 all the way, but to me the iPad 2's screen looks retina for some reason. Now when I pick up my iPhone it's like, gez. Puny.

15. asdf542 macrumors 6502

Not true in the slightest, you can easily sit very close to your laptop display or even your desktop display should you so choose. The slight difference between your hand on the keyboard from the display on say the 11.6" MBA and your hand on an iPad is negligible. Both displays will and can be at roughly the same viewing distance.

16. gatearray macrumors 65816

See my above post. :)

I couldn't agree more, the iPad 2 display looks great! Personally, I would never use my iPhone 4 for anything but texts and calls if my iPad was in reach. Never.

17. Justin Luck macrumors regular

I haven't had the opportunity the use an iPad yet (there's always a que of people demoing it at any store I visit), but I imagine people complain about the screen dpi because they actually do hold it closer to their eyes than a desktop or laptop display due to the smaller 9.7" screen size.

18. TomCondon macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Is it only me, that all I want on an iPad now is 1080 / 720p playback?

19. lPHONE macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

You know, I can't tell the difference... Maybe I'm just blind.

20. jkwireless macrumors newbie

The iPad 2 looks great - but it cannot be a serious contender as a book reading device at this resolution. Apple will need to address this in order for people to want to use this as a serious reading device. Photos, games, etc., all look beautiful. However, I was in the store and tried to read a few news papers from apps that they featured on their demo iPad 2's and knew right away that I have been spoiled by the Retina display of my iPhone 4.

The day will come when a better display appears in an future generation iPad - it's only a matter of time. Either prices to include it will come down, or dare I say it, they deliver a "pro" version at a higher price point.

21. SidBala macrumors 6502a

It certainly did not blow me away.

My MBP 17 has had the same PPI for many years now. There were also many PC laptops that had 1366x768 resolution on 11.6 inch screens before the MBA even came out.

OP: You should wait for iPad3. Maybe that one will have the retina display.

22. LoganT macrumors 68020

You'll notice the difference once Apple puts out a Retna iPad.

23. Justin Luck macrumors regular

This is true. My friend has an HP netbook with a 10" screen that has 1366x768 resolution.

24. hopeman macrumors newbie

Absolutely +1 here...