Composite vs ceramic back

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Fireball Dragon, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

I have noticed a couple of hairline scratches on my new Series 3. Very faint, but they are there.

I haven’t put the watch done on any surfaces, and am even super careful when I charge it, placing the inductive charger on slowly so it doesn’t smash against the back.

I have noticed that the LTE versions have a ceramic back. Although I cannot use LTE, would it be better to spend that little bit extra for the ceramic back?

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

If hairline scratches on the back of your watch bother you, then YES.

3. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

Personally I'd pay the extra for the sapphire screen, ceramic back and extra storage (16GB vs 8GB)

4. Fireball Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Does the ceramic back provide better protection? I’m confused based on what I’ve read so far, so wanted some feedback from anyone who has used them both from experience.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2017 ---
    I was thinking this, but didn’t want the added weight.

5. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

You only really get scratches on the back from the charging puck, so any dust/debris can cause micro scratches.

You really won't notice the weight difference after a few runs, why don't you use the 14 days to test it out and see if you adapt?

6. Fireball Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Could well do that, not a bad idea. I wouldn’t be using the AW for running (unless they found a way of getting in all the functions of my Garmin). I mainly wanted a lower weight as I sleep in my AW sometimes, so appreciate the lighter weight at night.

I’m also with O2, so cannot use LTE. But hope they manage to get something sorted soon, so that’s one benefit of going for LTE now, in case they provide support in the near future.

7. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

As long as you're not slapping your girlfriend in the face while sleeping, I think you'll be ok! lol

Hopefully the other carriers will sort themselves out over here, but sounds like only EE are capable of the whole number sharing thing right now. Slightly lucky for me as I moved from O2 a couple of years back...

8. Fireball Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Haha, it has been known to happen! (whilst being asleep, of course!).

I just picked up the LTE version now. Went to the Apple Store in Stratford as it is close to work. Really don’t like this Apple Store, staff are clueless. Also charged me 5p for a bag. Don’t care about the 5p (hardly ever charged) but had to wait 10 minutes! But I digress...

Okay, so the back on the LTE version is completely diffferent. Not just the material, but the finish, cut around the edges (seems to stick out more) and the detail around the HR sensors.

I saw the SS version, but far too shiny for my liking. Genuinely like the colour and finish of aluminium space grey tbh.

Now just hoping that O2 get on board with things...

9. lordofthereef, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Unless I’m mistakenthe sapphire screen bunosnyou up another $200-230 depending on which watch you’re getting.

The difference in price to get the 16gb and the ceramic back is only $70 (edited from $30). For whatever reason the LTE models were all provided the 16gb hump. I understand the reasoning for the ceramic (lte reception) but not really the on board storage. Anyway, not complaining since I wanted LTE anyway.
    Here’s a good image comparing the two (note that it’s s0 versus s3, but the materials being compared should be applicable). It stands to reason that they feel different. One is plastic the other is... not lol.

Idk that anyone has done tests but I’d be curious how this effects the HR sensing over time. I’m guessing not a lot? But it does look like hell doesn’t it?

10. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

What?! I've never been charged for a bag at the Apple Stores in Regent Street, Covent Garden or Brent Cross! Cheeky gits!!

11. Fireball Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

That thread/image is really helpful, thanks!

I have paid an extra £70 for the ceramic back, 8GB storage bump (not sure I need it) and LTE if O2 opt in.

Mainly wanted the ceramic back which looks a lot better tbh. And will help make me relax with the scratching potential.
    Only this store. Got my iPhone 8 2 weeks ago from lakeside. They had it bagged and ready for me to collect.

CS is crap at Stratford mostly.

12. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

I'd tell them to go do one! lol

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You’re right! For some reason I wasn’t figuring in that the lte Watch is $29 more than the same Watch was last year. So the difference in the states is actually $70 :)

14. newellj macrumors 604

Also, IIRC, the serial number is etched on the back of the WiFi/GPS version, but not on the LTE ceramic backs.

15. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Don't think the serial number has been etched on the back since the original in 2015 - all ones after ones have it in one of the band ports.

16. newellj macrumors 604

You may be right. I returned a WiFi/GPS watch for an LTE version and I thought the sales person took the WiFI/GPS serial number off the back. He had to call it up from Settings on the LTE watch when I returned a little later to add AppleCare on the LTE watch. I may have missed something - it happens...