Comprehensive Aluminum Bumper List

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bartonjd, Oct 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. bartonjd, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited by bartonjd: Oct 23, 2014

bartonjd macrumors member

2. canucksfan1972 macrumors newbie

Thanks for this list - exactly what I'm interested in. An ideal source of protection for my 6 Plus has a minimalist design, minimal thickness, strong enough to prevent bending of the phone, keeps the camera lens and screen from touching when I lay the phone down, doesn't reduce signal strength, is not slippery, and isn't too expensive.

The closest that I've seen (so far) that matches my criteria is the AL13 v3 by designed by m. I understand the company is testing its strength to prevent bending and will report on their results soon. I also understand they claim that the v3 does not reduce signal strength. Now if only they could make it non-slippery, I'd be very happy!

3. acm1108 macrumors regular

Would love to get an entire case to be made aluminum and not just the bumper. I just don't want the back to get all scratched up.

4. canucksfan1972 macrumors newbie

I think an all aluminum case might cause signal loss and that's why no one builds them?? I think a bumper with a glass screen protector and a clear film on the back is the best solution for me. For waterproofing I'm thinking of going with Liquipel (if they ever have kiosks outside of their home back in California).

5. bartonjd, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

bartonjd thread starter macrumors member

I would like to see an aluminum bumper that is minimalist and has cutouts for the existing iphone volume and power buttons, I think the add on buttons you see with many bumpers are ugly. Has any one seen one that just has button cutouts so you can use the iphone's own buttons?

6. bartonjd thread starter macrumors member

The Canaloo bumper looks pretty cool too. Interesting way they have to keep it on the phone

7. Hade5 macrumors newbie

That's an interesting way to have it lock together. More than likely a pain to remove though. I could see it adding integrity to the 6+.

Hopefully the low price doesn't mean offset cutouts and gaps.

8. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

The Canaloo bumper does look interesting, and for $10.99 I'm very tempted to grab a red one for my space grey. Anyone have any experience with them? I notice their website is riddled with odd phrasings and grammatical errors, which usually indicates they're operating in a country where English isn't the first language.

9. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

That looks good! Any signal degradation? Does it improve the grip? And does it extend past the camera, or does the camera end up touching surfaces when you put the phone down?

10. bartonjd thread starter macrumors member

Good questions, also could you post a shot of the top of the case on the phone?

Thanks so much!

11. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

Wow nice pics - as others have asked - please let us know.

1. Cell signal interference - see if your cell signal drops ANY - use the field test mode. Open Phone app, switch to the keypad and dial the following code: *3001#12345#* and then press call. If you dialed it correctly, your iPhone will enter Field Test Mode and you'll see the numerical value for signal strength in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

2. Wifi Signal interference - notice a drop? try a speed test (speed test.net app) with it on and with it off.

3. When laying on the flat table does the camera extend past the case? Or is it exactly flush or does the bumper provide quite a bit of lift.

4. How good is the padding between the bumper and the phone? Is there ANY rubbing/touching of the metal case to any parts of the phone? Inspect closely.

5. Does it improve grip? or about the same or worse?

Thanks!!!

12. Altruistic macrumors member

Airybody

Has anyone had contact with them since the end of their Kickstarter?
    I really like the look of the Unibody Aero Aluminum with the diamond edge. It's just really solid looking to me.

13. kaikai830 macrumors 6502

Just emailed with Sonny from Airybody. He stated that it should be available in two weeks.

14. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

I always liked the Vapor 4 by Element Case. I wish they made one for the 6+

Looks like Draco Design is similar, but no 6+ yet

[​IMG]

15. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Wow, that's almost no signal loss at all.

Canaloo is running a coupon for 20% off purchases of $30 or more. Three of those 6 Plus bumpers comes out to about $32 and change, which ended up being $23 Canadian after the coupon, and $21.xx after the exchange rate was applied. Free shipping as well.

I ordered one in black, one in red, and one in gold. They emailed me saying gold was back ordered but they'd ship the other two now since they're in stock. I'll post photos when I get them.

16. Draganime macrumors member

Hey thank you for the pictures of the canaloo case, I was just wondering how big the lip was on the case?

17. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

Really like the look of the "Metal Clad"

Any idea if it would fit on an iPhone 6 with a slickwraps wrap :p on the back?

18. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

Awesome! Thanks for the answers.

Do you think the bumper would work with a skin wrap around the back and the sides? Something like a ghost armor or best skins ever?

The fit of your bumper looks very tight.

I would like to do a wrap on the back and sides, your bumper, then a glass screen protector on the front.

What do you think?

19. T4R06 macrumors 65816

As a telecom engineer. Your signal is already poor at -102 then it went down to -105 thats a big loss on your signal. 3db loss is definitely impacting your signal and data speed.

20. bartonjd thread starter macrumors member

What is an ideal signal level?

21. yondertwins392 macrumors member

Has anyone received their AiryBody yet? I ordered mine a month ago but no e-mail or tracking and I was already charged twice actually, the second a small amount to cover international conversion.

22. T4R06 macrumors 65816

it depends, as long as you are getting some bars means you signal level is getting higher. low db means higher signal. but that 3db loss is quite huge..

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.