Compressor 3 to Encode for Blu Ray?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by scouser75, Aug 26, 2011.

1. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

I've done a full on search on here regarding the issue I describe below but have not managed to get an answer.

Today I used Compressor 3 to Encode for a final Blu Ray DVD using Encore.

The total size of the project is 150 minutes.

I used the H.264 for Blu Ray setting and added Dolby Digital Audio (Auto).

Finally, after almost 4 hours, the Encoding was complete. But the final file would not open anywhere. I even tried to Import it into DVD Studio Pro but it was not recognised. The file name ended .264 (there was no "H" prededing the ".264").

Have I done something stupidly stupid? Or could it just have been a glitch this one time?

I'm now Encoding it again - only this time using MPEG 2 - amended to Blu Ray. I'm sticking though with the DDA Auto for sound.

UPDATE:

OK! Now the MPEG 2 also is not working. This seems to be even worse than the H.264 as everytime I select the m2v file I get the "Spinning Wheel of Death"!

And which ever programme I open to use the file in also crashes with "TSWoD".

What on earth, if anything, am I doing wrong?

Any tips, advice, suggestions etc is very welcome :)

Thanks

2. AdrianK, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

AdrianK macrumors 68020

What you did was fine, .264 is just the video stream. Take that, and the ac3 and mux it in to M2TS.

EDIT: God damn, forgot there's no tsmuxer for os x (that works).

3. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks Adrian. But what's M2TS?

Also, why can I not Import the .264 OR m2v files into DVDSP or Encore? They don't even like to be selected in Finder. They cause it to crash!

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

MPEG 2 Transport Stream is the container used on Blurays, unfortunately I don't think there's a way to bung your streams in to an m2ts on OS X, I always go to a windows machine when I need to do it.

I guess Finder doesn't like elementary streams as they aren't in a container, odd. As I say, never noticed as I do this on Windows.

5. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

I have always used this guide from Adobe to make exports with Compressor that Encore will like:

Click

Hope this helps

6. dtechlogic macrumors regular

Do you have anything for standard DVD instead of Blueray

7. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

For DVD i've just always used the two 'DVD Best Quality 90 minutes' audio and video presets in Compressor, and both Encore and DVD Studio Pro have been fine with those.

8. JasonA macrumors member

tsMuxerGUI can mux m2ts files on OS X. You need to look for the special hacked version to run on Snow Leopard though. See this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=766885

9. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks guys for the replies.

Mr Stabby the instructions on your link are exactly what I did.

But the resulting m4v file just causes either finder to crash or is not recognised in any authoring package.

10. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

Have you got 'Perian' installed by any chance? (The 3rd party codec package). I've found that with that installed, it causes problems like you're describing with pro apps.

11. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr-Stabby I uninstalled Perian and tried again. But still no luck!

Another 8 hours wasted as I tried to increase the length of the DVD footage allowed on the Blu Ray in the hope that that may work. But no, I'm still gettting the same problem. Every time I select the m4v file the programme I'm using crashes and I have to Force Quit.

12. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update guys, which I hope may help others who experience a similar problem.

As recommended by Mr-Stabby, I Uninstalled Perian and then tried the Compressor process again.

Failed 1st time round. Out of frustration and desperation tried one last time... and it worked.

I now have a proper m4v File.

Will try a H.264 file when I'm sane again.

Thanks again everyone for your replies.