Computer Accidental Damage Warranty- RTFP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Huntn, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Computer Accidental Damage Warranty- Read the Fine Print

I just read an interesting article in the Aug PC World. If you buy an "accidental damage warranty" for your computer be sure to read the fine print. A person wrote in saying that her son left his MacBook on the trunk of his car and then ran over it after it slid off. The accidental damage coverage was purchased from Best Buy and only covers accidents through "normal" usage. Leaving a laptop on the trunk and subsequently running over it, qualified as an accident, but did not qualify as normal usage, something like dropping it while carrying it. Now what if you accidentally dropped it off a balcony while carrying it? Hmmm. ;)

2. MacHamster68, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

No normal usage , you should take full care and attention at all times .
    OK taking it on the balcony is no problem ,but under normal usage there is no way it can drop down from the balcony over the balustrade, the insurance company will likely argument that if you would not have walked close to the balustrade that the laptop could not have fallen down , and care and attention means that you need to hold it so it cannot slip out of your hand ,
    they might cover it if i bumped into you on your balcony and because of that your laptop slipped out of your hand
    because thats the catch with those words : care and attention at all times
    from wiki
    An accident is a specific, unpredictable, unusual and unintended external action which occurs in a particular time and place, with no apparent and deliberate cause but with marked effects. It implies a generally negative outcome which may have been avoided or prevented had circumstances leading up to the accident been recognized, and acted upon, prior to its occurrence.
    So with care and attention a accindent is avoidable in most cases and for the other cases see the small print , result the insurance does not need to pay out

Sorry if i need to tell you ,Insurance companies make money by selling you the insurance ,they dont make money if they need to pay out ,so the main purpose of the contract is to make sure a payout is the most unlikely scenario

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Sounds like you are giving me a lecture? Lol. I'm just pointing something out, if you are used to phone replacement coverage which I believe covers ANY loss, you could get into a mindset of thinking that all damage for a computer under this type of warranty is covered just like your phone, regardless of the reason. Depending on the fine print, most likely it is not true for a computer.

4. MacHamster68, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

No sorry didn't mean to give you a lecture it only did sound like it , but was unintentional , i'm sure you know how it works , but even those phone loss/ damage insurances have some small print

A girlfriend of me once dropped hers in the toilet and the insurance did refuse to pay out , not because it dropped in the toilet , no because it happend already 5 times in that year .... i told her already at the 3rd phone that nobody will believe her that she that clumpsy

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Apology accepted. :) As far as the girlfriend, IMO, if they no longer intended to cover her product they should have cancelled her warranty and notified her. That was probably in the fine print somewhere. ;)